empty cruise?

Just got back from 4-night Indy. Everywhere I went, there were not many people. Empty tables at dining rooms, lots of empty seats at theaters, virtually no lines everywhere.

Of course, it's the 2nd weekend of January but I checked online and found all the rooms (except for balcony) were sold out the day before departure. I don't think it was really sold out.

Have you experienced such cruise where you didn't have to face crowds? Can you share the month/week so that I can use it to book the next cruise?

A few things to consider, you mentioned that all stateroom were sold out except for verandahs. Keep in mind that the majority of passenger staterooms on Indy have verandahs, so that could represent a large number of cabins.

Other considerations are cancelled groups, or just a larger than average number of pax who opt to stay in their staterooms much of the time.

Just got back from 4-night Indy. Everywhere I went, there were not many people. Empty tables at dining rooms, lots of empty seats at theaters, virtually no lines everywhere.

Of course, it's the 2nd weekend of January but I checked online and found all the rooms (except for balcony) were sold out the day before departure. I don't think it was really sold out.

Have you experienced such cruise where you didn't have to face crowds? Can you share the month/week so that I can use it to book the next cruise?

I think you already know the answer - 2nd week of January.

We've had great luck with Mid December, week after Labor day, Mid January, and mid May before any schools are out for summer break.

enjoy M

We always cruise the 3rd week of January and I am yet to be on what I would consider a crowded ship. I think the weeks right after the holidays people are in financial recovery. Also i think it makes a difference that most kids are back in school after a long break and parents don't really think about vacation.

Our very first cruise was the first week in February, 2010, out of San Juan on the Serenade. It was a magnificent, magical week; so many staff people and they were all so relaxed and couldn't do enough for us. We didn't find out until the last day that the ship was 600 passengers light because of major snow storms that had shut down most of the airports in the northeast and ice storms in Atlanta had caused a screeching halt to air travel all over the US. We were totally oblivious but thanks to Cruise Critic we had come in a day early and then later found out we had the very last flight into San Juan from Atlanta.

We have cruised the beginning of February since then and while the ship has always been more crowded we have never felt like it was really crowded. Our first B2B was over President's day and we won't do that again...what a difference between week one and week two, wee two wasn't bad there were just more kids than we have ever experienced.

We always cruise the 3rd week of January and I am yet to be on what I would consider a crowded ship. I think the weeks right after the holidays people are in financial recovery. Also i think it makes a difference that most kids are back in school after a long break and parents don't really think about vacation.

The financial recovery theory might not be accurate. Most people have to

pay by 60 days out. The majority of passengers do not book last minute.

The financial recovery theory might not be accurate. Most people have to

pay by 60 days out. The majority of passengers do not book last minute.

However, most people who purchase cruises are old enough for this not to have been their first holiday season. Thus they would be aware, if they were inclined to participate/live in a part of the world where they participate in holiday expenditures, of the season. Thus they may say "Oh, I'll be broke then. Bad call."

ETA:

There is also the likelihood that many extra vacations could have been used during the last 6 weeks of the previous year and fewer have been earned by the first 3 weeks in the new year.

Edited by poncho1973

Was there a large convention on the cruise? I have a friend who just returned from the Indy this morning and she was on a Scentsy leadership cruise.

Maybe they had events/seminars that made large groups congregate in certain areas.

I for one would love a "deserted" ship.

Was there a large convention on the cruise? I have a friend who just returned from the Indy this morning and she was on a Scentsy leadership cruise.

Maybe they had events/seminars that made large groups congregate in certain areas.

We were on a cruise once that was a convention for travel agents. Bunch of 50-60 year old white ladies with big hair, big gaudy jewelry, too much makeup, and too much perfume. They were getting tanked and living it up on the disco floor each night. I'm fairly sure that was the day music died because of a lack of rhythm.

It was off-season and during the day you never saw them, so your comment matches mine.

Hilariously, I did think they were realtors for the first half of the cruise. The demographic is virtually identical, so it was an honest mistake.

That's it! https://imagelive.scentsy.com/CMSImages/files/Resource%20Library/Scentsy%20Events/Travel-Info-US-EN-V2.pdf

I wondered what those private sessions were for. Perhaps, I'll book my next cruise when there's a big convention on the ship.

TY for inspiring the idea!

That's it! https://imagelive.scentsy.com/CMSImages/files/Resource%20Library/Scentsy%20Events/Travel-Info-US-EN-V2.pdf

I wondered what those private sessions were for. Perhaps, I'll book my next cruise when there's a big convention on the ship.

TY for inspiring the idea!

FYI - Sentsy is a Direct Sales Company based right outside of Boise ID that markets home fragrance items similar in platform to Tupperware. Though not a associated with Sentsy perhaps some CC members might be and may not appreciate the off color comment.

https://scentsy.com/

Edited by xxoocruiser