Independence OTS questions (WiFi, soda machines)

Pellaz

Hi, I'll be going on the Indy in a few weeks for a full-boat charter and have a few questions about the ship.

1. Does the ship have Freestyle Coke machines, or any soda machines at all?

2. How much does the WiFi cost and is it worth the price speed-wise? RCCL's website doesn't seem to list prices.... What do they mean by "pervasive" WiFi?

Regarding the WiFi, I'm especially interested if someone who's used both could compare the WiFi service on Indy with the recently improved WiFi service on Carnival's ships, specifically their $16/day "value" plan. (Amazingly good service, BTW. It was even capable of voice-calling home for free, using That Unmentionable Social Website's messenger app. Video calling didn't quite work, though. :) )

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

No freestyle machines on Indy.

Indy still has the slow (dial up speed) and is $20 per day if bought as a package for every day of the cruise for 1 device. Pervasive means available all over the ship not just select hotspots.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

No freestyle machines on Indy.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Two, count 'em, TWO cheers for RCCL.

Indy still has the slow (dial up speed) and is $20 per day if bought as a package for every day of the cruise for 1 device. Pervasive means available all over the ship not just select hotspots.

Thanks again. I probably won't bother with it, then, and I'll let everyone else on the charter know. :(

I was reading an Indy trip report and saw a photo that someone posted that had a wifi sign in a post inside the ship somewhere. Would this indicate that maybe the signal was strong in that location or is the wifi the same "slowness" at all places in the ship? I was going to get the one device plan for my 19 year old and myself, but wonder if it will be more frustrating?! Will we be able to post photos to Facebook or Instagram? Is it faster at night or early morning? Thx

I was reading an Indy trip report and saw a photo that someone posted that had a wifi sign in a post inside the ship somewhere. Would this indicate that maybe the signal was strong in that location or is the wifi the same "slowness" at all places in the ship? I was going to get the one device plan for my 19 year old and myself, but wonder if it will be more frustrating?! Will we be able to post photos to Facebook or Instagram? Is it faster at night or early morning? Thx

Same slowness all over the ship. Well to be fair it's really slow and slower.

Same slowness all over the ship. Well to be fair it's really slow and slower.

Crud. That's disappointing. Not too surprising, but disappointing.

Is RCCL's newer "hi speed" WiFi service (on Oasis- and Quantum-class ships) a lot better? I'm a little surprised that Carnival could have rolled out high-speed internet to all of their ships (except two) and RCCL is that much behind the curve.

We were on the Indy over Thanksgiving and slow is an understatement. I would post pics to social media and sometimes it took a couple hours before they showed up. I also used a texting app and it seemed to work best early in the morning

Hi, I'll be going on the Indy in a few weeks for a full-boat charter and have a few questions about the ship.

1. Does the ship have Freestyle Coke machines, or any soda machines at all?

2. How much does the WiFi cost and is it worth the price speed-wise? RCCL's website doesn't seem to list prices.... What do they mean by "pervasive" WiFi?

Regarding the WiFi, I'm especially interested if someone who's used both could compare the WiFi service on Indy with the recently improved WiFi service on Carnival's ships, specifically their $16/day "value" plan. (Amazingly good service, BTW. It was even capable of voice-calling home for free, using That Unmentionable Social Website's messenger app. Video calling didn't quite work, though. :) )

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Just got back from Independence yesterday...

1) No Freestyle pop machine or any public soda machine - had to go to the bartender for refills

2) Internet was pretty slow. I couldn't imagine doing much more than sending an email, putting a picture on social media etc.

Just got back from Independence yesterday...

1) No Freestyle pop machine or any public soda machine - had to go to the bartender for refills

Oh, joy. I can look forward to sometimes-surly bartenders who have to serve people sodas as a non-rev transaction, i.e., no automatic tip for them. My misery is complete. (If the bartender serves it up with an honest smile and a nice attitude, however, I give them a tip. It really surprises them.)

2) Internet was pretty slow. I couldn't imagine doing much more than sending an email, putting a picture on social media etc.

Thanks for the info. I think the performers on this cruise might get comped internet service, but most of the rest of us will do without.

Heck, it IS a vacation....but a very busy one. 120 performances in 4 days. :eek: :cool:

Oh, joy. I can look forward to sometimes-surly bartenders who have to serve people sodas as a non-rev transaction, i.e., no automatic tip for them. My misery is complete. (If the bartender serves it up with an honest smile and a nice attitude, however, I give them a tip. It really surprises them.)

To be fair, I usually get my "free" fizzy drinks/water from a bartender rather than a machine even if one is available, as I rarely carry my special cup all over the place. I've never once had anyone be surly about it. If they're busy you may not be treated like a long lost friend, but they're never rude about it. Though if they're really that busy I'll try to wait a while, unless I'm about to pass out from thirst.