Tamarind Restaurant

gottagoacruzn

With the price, is there a tax on top of the $20? And is it customary to tip?

We (and the Canadians, I imagine), are getting a little anxious about the plunging currency, plunging sharemarket and plunging retirement savings! Might have to confine ourselves to the ordinary dining, drink water not wine and have that funny standard coffee!

We (and the Canadians, I imagine), are getting a little anxious about the plunging currency, plunging sharemarket and plunging retirement savings! Might have to confine ourselves to the ordinary dining, drink water not wine and have that funny standard coffee!

No tax. Depending on what level of HAL Mariner you are there may be a discount. Others indicate they tip, we don't. Not that we eat in the speciality restaurants a lot but never seen anybody leave a tip. Use you own discretion.

Dan

There isn't any tax on the $20 since it is all food.
It doesn't matter if it's food or not. There's no sales tax on anything once you leave port. (Except VAT on certain European cruises.)
It is understanding that the Tamarind is not open for lunch any longer ...just dinner
How recent is your info? On the Eurodam at the end of Nov it was open for lunch 3 days out of 7. The PG was also open for lunch just 3 days, and two of them were concurrent with the Tam, leaving 2 days when neither were open. Those two were embarkation day and HMC day.

Edited by jtl513

It doesn't matter if it's food or not. There's no sales tax on anything once you leave port. (Except VAT on certain European cruises.)[/size]

How recent is your info? On the Eurodam at the end of Nov it was open for lunch 3 days out of 7. The PG was also open for lunch just 3 days, and two of them were concurrent with the Tam, leaving 3 days when neither were open.

This info is very recent. It's been reported by a number of posters. Iirc Ruthc was one of them.

The Thai Doughnuts is a new dessert. We both tried and loved them.

Now I have 2 desserts that I love in the Tamarind restaurant -- the Chocolate Almond Fortune Cookie and now the Thai Doughnuts.

I love those Thai doughnuts. I haven't had the fortune cookie for years. Last time I had it, it was huge.

I'm more concerned about the economy as it's impossible to get a job here for the many people that have lost their jobs due to the collapse in oil prices. The price of the tamarind isn't going to break me. I'd be sticking close to home otherwise.

This info is very recent. It's been reported by a number of posters. Iirc Ruthc was one of them.
Her last mention of the Tam that I can find was Oct 4. I want to hear it from someone who saw it closed for lunch every day of a cruise sometime in the last 6 weeks.

Edited by jtl513

Her last mention of the Tam that I can find was Oct 4. I want to hear it from someone who saw it closed for lunch every day of a cruise sometime in the last 6 weeks.

Friends of ours were on two weeks ago and no Tamarind lunch was offered on any day. Technically, this does not meet your criteria because I wasn't the one on the ship and I'm not sure that our friends checked in at the restaurant every day to make sure that it was closed. Their daily programs only showed dinner hours for Tamarind.

Friends of ours were on two weeks ago and no Tamarind lunch was offered on any day. Technically, this does not meet your criteria because I wasn't the one on the ship and I'm not sure that our friends checked in at the restaurant every day to make sure that it was closed. Their daily programs only showed dinner hours for Tamarind.

If you get a sworn statement that might do :D.

Here is a thread that talks about the tamarind lunch. See post # 41.

That post was made from the NA on Nov 3. I ate lunch in the Tam on the E'dam on Nov 24. However, POA1's friends were apparently on the E'dam two weeks ago, so I guess now it is true on both ships.

Edited by jtl513

That post was made from the NA on Nov 3. I ate lunch in the Tam on the E'dam on Nov 24. However, POA1's friends were apparently on the E'dam two weeks ago, so I guess now it is true on both ships.

The op was inquiring about the NA and that is what I was talking about. I also ate at the tamarind for lunch on the eurodam in October. Things change. I'm noticing over and over on cruise critic posters are doubting what people say unless they experience it themselves. It's extremely off putting. Pretty soon people will stop reporting anything.

Like many things on ships, I'm sure it's subject to change. I wouldn't be surprised if they started to offer lunch again in the future.

I'm noticing over and over on cruise critic posters are doubting what people say unless they experience it themselves. It's extremely off putting. Pretty soon people will stop reporting anything.
The person I asked was reporting second-hand info

It is understanding that the Tamarind is not open for lunch any longer ...just dinner

and I had, in fact, eaten lunch in the Tam since it had been reported by some as being closed. All I asked was "how recent" was his/her info. You'll notice that he/she didn't get bent out of shape by my question.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started to offer lunch again in the future.
Me either.

Edited by jtl513

Like many things on ships, I'm sure it's subject to change. I wouldn't be surprised if they started to offer lunch again in the future.
Just a thought: it could be a temporary thing due to staffing up the Koningsdam. Or they might be thinking of bringing it back with a fee and a non-fixed menu, like the PG lunch.

Edited by jtl513