Nieuw Amsterdam Deck 4 Larger Balconies???

micruz

Nieuw Amsterdam - Deck 4 Upper Promenade

I know that there are really large balconies on the corners, but I have been reading that deck 4 balconies are supposed to be 7 1/2 feet - 1 1/2 foot larger? Is it all of deck 4 besides those extremely large corners? Several people mentioned category VD, but this category does not seem to exist on the current deck plan. VC?

I tried calling Holland America, but was given the run-around. Told all decks are the same size except corners.

Thank you!

All of those currently shown as VB and VC on Deck 4 (same size balcony) used to be designated VD and are definitely wider than all other regular balcony cabins.

Also keep in mind that although the front VH, VF and VE balconies are wider, they have a solid metal railing somewhat restricting the view when seated.

I wonder if the OP is referring to VB4166 and 4168 which have wider (longer, depending on how one looks at them) balconies than the rest of the verandahs on the same deck. I believe they used to be VD's.
Since OP said "7.5 feet" I'm sure s/he's thinking of the depth, not width. As taxmantoo said, all deck 4 side verandas higher than 4042 used to be VD except for four very deep ones: 4053, 4054, 4129, 4132

OP: see how the railings stick out on the deck where the people are standing? I wish we could send some pictures to the HAL people that insist that "all balconies are the same size except corners"!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=60199&d=1192653555

Edited by jtl513

Nieuw Amsterdam - Deck 4 Upper Promenade

I know that there are really large balconies on the corners, but I have been reading that deck 4 balconies are supposed to be 7 1/2 feet - 1 1/2 foot larger? Is it all of deck 4 besides those extremely large corners? Several people mentioned category VD, but this category does not seem to exist on the current deck plan. VC?

I tried calling Holland America, but was given the run-around. Told all decks are the same size except corners.

Thank you!

The misinformation given out by people who should be educated to know their product drives me insane.:mad: There are one or two people on this board who continually tell others to "check with HAL" etc and most of us know that's the worst thing you can do.:eek: I have been told that about the balconies several times by various personnel at HAL HQ, and by my PCC who has been with the company a long time. One absolutely refused to believe there were a couple of double-wide balconies on the deck 4 of the Vista ships. (4164/4166). I gave up.

The misinformation given out by people who should be educated to know their product drives me insane.:mad: There are one or two people on this board who continually tell others to "check with HAL" etc and most of us know that's the worst thing you can do.:eek: I have been told that about the balconies several times by various personnel at HAL HQ, and by my PCC who has been with the company a long time. One absolutely refused to believe there were a couple of double-wide balconies on the deck 4 of the Vista ships. (4164/4166). I gave up.

The double wide balconies on the NA are cabins 4166 and 4168. On some other ships they are 4164 & 4166 as you mentioned but not on the NA (and the Eurodam).

Several cabin reviews on CC mention the 7 1/2 besides the couple that are double wide. If only the deck plans and room descriptions would give true sizes and not a range! Looking at category V on deck 5, they look wider too. I am trying to figure out why you'd pay more for a V when you are looking down at a life boat and those cabins are set in with no clear view completely right or left???

Looking at category V on deck 5, they look wider too.
Actually those are 52 inches (4.3 ft) deep. Those used to be fairly priced when they were VE, but since they were so popular HAL decided in their re-categorization about two years back to make more money by calling them V! Now you can pay for, say, a VB and (unless you specify "Do Not Upgrade") be "upgraded" to one of them. :eek:

IMHO the best non-suite balconies on the ship are 8027 to 8117 at 7 ft deep, or 4043 to 4050 and 4133 to 4179 at 7.5 ft deep.

We loved N.A. 8057 with the bigger balcony and overhang from the Lido giving extra shade! We were under a cabana so the only significant noise we heard above us was about an hour on the night of the Chocolate Extravaganza. 8076 and higher are under the carpeted area of the Lido and should not get significant noise.

Edited by catl331

For the date I am looking at, only VE on 4 with steel walls are available. So, I am looking closely at Deck 5 quad cabins and want to avoid the smallest balconies since we have 4 of us in cabin. I have been reading varied posts about deck 5 having only 4 1/2 feet deep balconies instead of standard 6 feet. Does anyone know if this is all deck 5. Looking at the picture someone posted above, they don't look that much narrower than the 7 1/2 feet deep on deck 4. Still thinking I should want a category VB over V because of the midship insetas well as looking down at lifeboats. So, does anybody know where these really narrow balconies are located on the ship so I can avoid them?

THANK YOU!!!

For the date I am looking at, only VE on 4 with steel walls are available. So, I am looking closely at Deck 5 quad cabins and want to avoid the smallest balconies since we have 4 of us in cabin. I have been reading varied posts about deck 5 having only 4 1/2 feet deep balconies instead of standard 6 feet. Does anyone know if this is all deck 5. Looking at the picture someone posted above, they don't look that much narrower than the 7 1/2 feet deep on deck 4. Still thinking I should want a category VB over V because of the midship insetas well as looking down at lifeboats. So, does anybody know where these really narrow balconies are located on the ship so I can avoid them?

THANK YOU!!!

We're booked in a VC on the aft of Deck 4 with the larger balcony next month. We're 4 in a cabin as well. It's a little disappointing that HAL wouldn't designate those two cabins (4166 and 4168) with the really big balconies as a quad. With 4 people in a cabin, the extra balcony space would be highly appreciated.

I have been reading varied posts about deck 5 having only 4 1/2 feet deep balconies instead of standard 6 feet. Does anyone know if this is all deck 5. Looking at the picture someone posted above, they don't look that much narrower than the 7 1/2 feet deep on deck 4.
Cabins 5053 to 5138 (including the four SS in the middle) are 4.3 ft deep, but the four SS are 13.5 ft wide instead of the V cabins 9 ft. All of the deck 5 VB and VC side cabins are 6 ft deep.

For a good depth comparison pictures of deck 5 V vs deck 4 VB, Google /5090-eurodam/ and /4043-eurodam/

Edited by catl331

It's so confusing trying to read past reviews with categories that have changed.

If I understand it correctly looking at cabin numbers, the front 5003 - 5049 and back 5137 - 5183 'SIDE' balcony cabins on deck 5 are standard 6X9 verandas. The inset deck 5 category V balconies are the narrow balconies.

Looked at the suggested pictures - thank you - a picture is definitely worth millions!

Still debating whether to consider the larger 7.5 ft deep deck 4 E verandas with the steel wall for that little bit more room or go with the deck 5 VB. Has anyone experienced the steel wall? I just love to sit and look down at the sea, but there is 4 of us. :)

Thanks again!!!

Still debating whether to consider the larger 7.5 ft deep deck 4 E verandas with the steel wall for that little bit more room or go with the deck 5 VB. Has anyone experienced the steel wall? I just love to sit and look down at the sea, but there is 4 of us. :)
The last two pictures of the /4043-eurodam/ set show the steel wall railing of 4041. If you are tall and sit upright you can look over the wood rail at distant water, but you can not see water close up.

Since you need a quad I would suggest VC 4155 to 4171 (starboard only), to get both the 7.5 ft deep balcony and a plexiglas railing ... and save a little money from a VB ... and get less motion than in a forward VB. :)

Google /4060-eurodam/ for pics of what the balcony is like, but since that one is on the port side it is not a quad.

Edited by jtl513

Google /4060-eurodam/ for pics of what the balcony is like, but since that one is on the port side it is not a quad.
Too late to edit above ... it should say /4160-eurodam/

Edited by jtl513