Accident on Anthem of the Seas

👍🏻 Sounds like cost cutting to me, why is fake wood on the handrails that are exposed to the elements? I'm sorry this happen to you and that it spoiled your cruise and excursion.

I haven't been on a Quantum class yet, but I am wondering if the material was used instead of wood because it is exposed to the elements. Some kind of synthetic wood looking material like what patio decks are sometimes made out of now, although in this case poorly done. :(

As a germaphobe, I would be concerned getting a cut caused by something that is grabbed by a lot of people - glad you are alright.

If I were RCI, I would have at the least given you enough credit to pay for a future cruise. I'm not making fun, but I can imagine in all of your pictures near water, you can tell everyone "I'm the one with my arm up in the air to make sure it stays dry..." :)

It was the stairway leading down from the North Star to the Pool Deck.

Just to be clear, you are talking about the stair on the starboard side of the ship, right?

IIRC, there's a stair from the NS platform to Deck 15 (running deck), and THEN there's a stair from Deck 15 to Deck 14 (pool deck) on the starboard side.

With the bar below the NS system, there are multiple ways of getting down, if one lingers.

If it's the first set of stairs, it's just people going up to the NS and back down. If it's the latter stair- it's the only stair in that area to go from 15 to 14. (the next closest is on the port side, almost even with the screen).

Just want to be as close as possible for people to know where it is.

👍🏻 Sounds like cost cutting to me, why is fake wood on the handrails that are exposed to the elements? I'm sorry this happen to you and that it spoiled your cruise and excursion.
Has nothing to do with cost cutting. Only a certain amount of wood is allowed on a ship by regulations. That's why a lot of Teak decks are disappearing.

I don't find the OP's concerns lame at all. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've had patients end up with severe infections just from a small splinter. A wound that required two sutures to keep it closed is actually a fairly substantial wound and I would not take this lightly at all.

The other thing that concerns me is if the staff of the ship is doing proper cleaning why was the damaged rail not found, reported and isolated until if could be fixed?

Edited by Ocean Boy

I agree that this is not NOTHING! It was a handrail that one should reasonably think you can hold onto to descend or ascend stairs. This should never have happened and the injured party is right to expect that this not be ignored by Royal!

Has nothing to do with cost cutting. Only a certain amount of wood is allowed on a ship by regulations. That's why a lot of Teak decks are disappearing.

Correct! Anyone hear of SOLAS and the new regulations rolled out in 2010?

It caused the demise of the legendary QE2 and the Regal Empress, along with many other fine, older ships with real wood on board.

Otherwise I support the OP 100%, and those who say this is lame should look in a mirror. Or, perhaps suffer what the OP did, and I'll bet their opinion would change!

I'd be pretty p**** if this happened to me too on my cruise vacation. However, not sure this is a CC worthy post. Accidents of all kinds will happen. Little rough edges exist everywhere. Every scraped up your knees or toes on the rough surface of a cruise ship pool? Not so nice. But not really worth mentioning to the world either. Sorry for you OP nevertheless.

Thank you for giving us a heads up on this potential safety issue. I think if this injury has happened to a child the posts here would be a lot different. I hope RC doesn't charge you for you medical care. At no point in your post did you seem like you were looking for some type of financial settlement and I for one take your post as an FYI for the rest of us. Good luck and keep cruising.

I'd be pretty p**** if this happened to me too on my cruise vacation. However, not sure this is a CC worthy post. Accidents of all kinds will happen. Little rough edges exist everywhere. Every scraped up your knees or toes on the rough surface of a cruise ship pool? Not so nice. But not really worth mentioning to the world either. Sorry for you OP nevertheless.

People post warnings about slippery areas on the deck all the time. How is this different from those? Or do you not like those posts, too?

People post warnings about slippery areas on the deck all the time. How is this different from those? Or do you not like those posts, too?

No, I don't want to hear about a slippery deck somewhere. File under minutia. Decks are slippery everywhere. So are uncarpeted public areas especially when walking in high heels. Not interesting either. If someone found live snakes in the solarium, that might be an interesting post.

I'm sorry this happened!

I'm mortified that the ship would have something like that on the handrails. Didn't the crew catch this when they were cleaning the railings, and order it fixed?

More scary is the possibility of falling down the stairs, because passengers are afraid to use the handrails. I've read of people dying as a result of a fall on stairs.

I'm very new to Cruise Critic, and I am surprised to see any nasty responses to the OP. Using a handrail shouldn't cause an injury requiring stitches. I often use handrails if I'm in high heels and I wouldn't think to be worried about being cut. I would be upset if this happened to me! Thank you for letting us know about your experience.

Please don't be turned off by negative posts - this is a great place with many nice and helpful people. Ignore the downers - they are most likely miserable and unhappy folks.

No, I don't want to hear about a slippery deck somewhere. File under minutia. Decks are slippery everywhere. So are uncarpeted public areas especially when walking in high heels. Not interesting either. If someone found live snakes in the solarium, that might be an interesting post.

Then apparently there's a rule that you must read and comment on threads you don't want to read about then.

Why else would you keep coming back to this thread you don't like so much.

Then apparently there's a rule that you must read and comment on threads you don't want to read about then.

Why else would you keep coming back to this thread you don't like so much.

Because I'm waiting for it to be lunch time and don't feel like being productive. Plus, the follow up comments to a post can often become interesting and so I sometimes check back when bored. I wasn't in any way being nasty. It's called chucking in the two cents. Sorry if I offended.

Because I'm waiting for it to be lunch time and don't feel like being productive. Plus, the follow up comments to a post can often become interesting and so I sometimes check back when bored. I wasn't in any way being nasty. It's called chucking in the two cents. Sorry if I offended.

Half my posts follow that pattern as well

Decks can be slippery, especially with certain types of shoe soles. That's a common hazard.

But getting such an aggravating cut from using a handrail on a brand new ship... how often has that ever happened to anybody on a cruise ship? This sort of thing is very worth letting people know about. Thank you OP for the cautionary report, and my condolences for the pain, the worry, the inconvenience and everything else.

Edited by Moonarino

Just to be clear- you said that this wasn't a CC worthy post. I can quote your post if you would like.

So it's worth posting in a thread that isn't CC worthy based on your criteria...

I'm not offended, and realize that you are wasting your own time, but it just seems....

Edited by alfaeric