Winter in NYC

Korimako

hi all

I know this isn't cruise related but I'm hoping to get some useful advice. I might be spending a week in January next year in New York. I know it's the winter, so what would you suggest in terms of clothing - outerwear, footwear etc? Bearing in mind that where I live we don't even get frost, I don't want to be spending huge amounts of money for stuff I'll never use again.

Thanks in advance

Nyc can be a frozen wind tunnel....layers and windproof clothing....def a hat,gloves,thick scarf and warm boots,sturdy walking shoes....you may never use some of this ever again but you will be miserable outside without it.....I live in maine where it is famous for cold and snowy weather but 5th Ave at 9 degrees F and windy was just awful......you may get lucky and have much milder weather.....you could always pick up another layer while you are there.....have a wonderful time....born and raised in ny and love the city....nothing like it!

Yes, a down filled jacket/coat will keep you warm. My down coat has a hood attached so didn't need a hat. (Check LLBean for winter clothes). The only reason for boots would be snow but it is cleared from walks/sidewalks right away. NYC requires this to be done so it is. When I commuted into THE CITY ( as Manhattan is called by those who live in the City) I usually just wore heels, not boots. You will need gloves and a hat that covers your ears, maybe a wool scarf. You can also layer clothes then take layers off when inside.

Assume this will be a sight seeing visit?

If you'll be taking the subway or taxi around town and going directly inside somewhere a medium jacket might do ok with sweater layer underneath.

If walking around everywhere you probably will want a heavier ski type jacket.

Gloves and hat for sure either way.

Somewhat hard to say what exactly to wear this far in advance. Could be like last year an be extremely cold 10's-20's with lots of snow or like now mostly 30's-upper 40's sometimes close to 50 an little to no snow at all.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I'm now thinking I might be better off wearing layers with my full length water/windproof riding coat and riding boots. These are not fashion items, but the proper bad weather riding attire from when we used to live in England. The coat has a hood too so I could probably manage without having to buy something just for this trip. Now all I have to do is convert the temperatures to Celsius so I know what to expect:)

hi all

I know this isn't cruise related but I'm hoping to get some useful advice. I might be spending a week in January next year in New York. I know it's the winter, so what would you suggest in terms of clothing - outerwear, footwear etc? Bearing in mind that where I live we don't even get frost, I don't want to be spending huge amounts of money for stuff I'll never use again.

Thanks in advance

gloves and hat/earmuffs are a must. so is a scarf.

boots are a very smart idea.

medium to heavy weight coat.

NYC sightseeing usually involves a good bit of walking. Be sure whatever boots/shoes you wear are comfortable. It is impossible to say just what the weather would be for the week you will be in NYC. In Boston, we had 67 degrees F on Christmas weekend and right now it is about 20 degrees F.

I agree you should pack a scarf that provides warmth, gloves, hat/ear covers and boots in one form or another.

Edited by sail7seas

On the positive side, January is the best month to get discounted tickets for Broadway shows.

Several online marketplaces, a good app (won't mention the name) and then there is the old standby, TKTS, which has shorter lines in the cold.

Enjoy!

On the positive side, January is the best month to get discounted tickets for Broadway shows.

Several online marketplaces, a good app (won't mention the name) and then there is the old standby, TKTS, which has shorter lines in the cold.

Enjoy!

Thanks, but won't be doing this as I will be too busy rehearsing for a concert:)

I would include taking waterproof boots of some kind.

Yes, the sidewalks are shoveled after a snowstorm , but the crossing corners can have piles of snow/slush and when it melts,the puddles on the corners can be huge.

Enjoy the City- it is a great place !