Just off the Sky with the new All Inclusive

rjm11

I was on the second "all inclusive" cruise on the Sky over the weekend (3 nights) and wanted to give some feedback about how it went. I was very pleased with the overall service- it was excellent. They have obviously hired lots more bar tenders, and had spots for ordering clearly delineated at the bars, so it wasn't a free for all. There were also lots of servers around the pool area serving drinks to those seated (we tipped cash for that.... $1 per drink). I was most impressed with the drink service in the dining room, which I have to admit on other cruises I've found to be pretty bad..... I usually eat in the specialty restaurants, but my traveling companion this time didn't want the extra cost, so we went to the MDRs. They had bottles of "house wine" open and were filling glasses and topping off just like they would water.... and if you didn't want that, you could order any glass of wine, and it came very quickly. On lunch embarkation day we had mixed drinks, and those were also "refreshed" with a new one very quickly, so it's not just wine. This was the best drink service I've experienced in the MDRs.

At the Platinum cocktail party I talked with the Beverage Director- he confirmed that they hired a lot of new bartenders, and that they are all trained to stop serving if someone seems to be really over their limit. I saw this once- party girls next to me were having a "hard time getting someone to respond" to their demands for more drinks.... I thought it was nice to know that they are watching for this somewhat. Overall I was very pleased- I was expecting some kinks in the system, and I thought it went well. The Beverage Director did indicate that there were "discussions' about extending this beyond just the Sky- they are kind of piloting it there to see if it would work.

I'm happy to answer other questions about the cruise if anyone has them- but thought an update on the All Inclusive might be the most pressing.

I was on the second "all inclusive" cruise on the Sky over the weekend (3 nights) and wanted to give some feedback about how it went. I was very pleased with the overall service- it was excellent. They have obviously hired lots more bar tenders, and had spots for ordering clearly delineated at the bars, so it wasn't a free for all. There were also lots of servers around the pool area serving drinks to those seated (we tipped cash for that.... $1 per drink). I was most impressed with the drink service in the dining room, which I have to admit on other cruises I've found to be pretty bad..... I usually eat in the specialty restaurants, but my traveling companion this time didn't want the extra cost, so we went to the MDRs. They had bottles of "house wine" open and were filling glasses and topping off just like they would water.... and if you didn't want that, you could order any glass of wine, and it came very quickly. On lunch embarkation day we had mixed drinks, and those were also "refreshed" with a new one very quickly, so it's not just wine. This was the best drink service I've experienced in the MDRs.

At the Platinum cocktail party I talked with the Beverage Director- he confirmed that they hired a lot of new bartenders, and that they are all trained to stop serving if someone seems to be really over their limit. I saw this once- party girls next to me were having a "hard time getting someone to respond" to their demands for more drinks.... I thought it was nice to know that they are watching for this somewhat. Overall I was very pleased- I was expecting some kinks in the system, and I thought it went well. The Beverage Director did indicate that there were "discussions' about extending this beyond just the Sky- they are kind of piloting it there to see if it would work.

I'm happy to answer other questions about the cruise if anyone has them- but thought an update on the All Inclusive might be the most pressing.

I am confused with the term all inclusive-are the specialty restaurants not included? Then its really just the beverage package that's included?

I am confused with the term all inclusive-are the specialty restaurants not included? Then its really just the beverage package that's included?
You can read the original press release here. "All-inclusive" is a vague marketing term that should not be taken at face value.

A couple of years ago they offered an "all-inclusive" package that included alcoholic drinks, specialty dining, shorex credit, internet, photos, bingo cards etc. etc. It was a flop because nobody actually wants all of that. (But then when you offer each thing for a separate price, people complain about nickel and diming…)

Thanks for the update, I had been wondering what it would be like. Sailed the Sky years ago and really enjoyed it, I would enjoy it even more now! I especially like to hear MDR drink service is good. It's so annoying to be unable to get a drink in time to enjoy with your food.

Yes- the only change was the included beverage package- all alcoholic drinks under $15 each are included, and all soda. Bottled water and special coffee drinks were NOT included.

So if you don't drink alcoholic beverages, you are forced to pay for it in your cruise fare anyway? Free Style my butt

So if you don't drink alcoholic beverages, you are forced to pay for it in your cruise fare anyway? Free Style my butt

That's why it pays to be an informed consumer. It looks like fares increase $200 pp to cover the all inclusive beverages and there is no way I would drink that much on a 3 or 4 day cruise.