Norwegian's Free at Sea

wezie

UBP actually costs $100 (Taxes and svc charges), so if you won't run up a $100 beverage bill it isn't a value. We don't drink alcohol and will have the CAS beverage card so UBP is a costly choice for us.

We have enjoyed our complimentary dining on NCL so paying to eat isn't a necessity, especially with the likes of the Tropicana and Manhattan MDRs with provide entertainment with the meal.

We book NCL excursions so $50 per port is money off a real expense. For the excursions I've selected it is almost like taking the nephew for free.

250 Wifi - if I realize I need it for work would be the right choice, but otherwise I prefer to unplug during our cruise. I will download books and movies to the kindle and enjoy my technology on the Waterfront.

3rd/4th free - at some point this wasn't a Choice, it was separate perk; now that I had to consider it as a 2nd choice it was the best choice for us as my teen nephew will be with us.

For our planning 3rd/4th and the Shorex were actual money savers so I selected those for our trip.

For my solo inside cruise I've also selected Shorex. If I had two choices I might add Specialty dining.

Edited by Nola26

UBP actually costs $100 (Taxes and svc charges), so if you won't run up a $100 beverage bill it isn't a value. We don't drink alcohol and will have the CAS beverage card so UBP is a costly choice for us.

We have enjoyed our complimentary dining on NCL so paying to eat isn't a necessity, especially with the likes of the Tropicana and Manhattan MDRs with provide entertainment with the meal.

We book NCL excursions so $50 per port is money off a real expense. For the excursions I've selected it is almost like taking the nephew for free.

250 Wifi - if I realize I need it for work would be the right choice, but otherwise I prefer to unplug during our cruise. I will download books and movies to the kindle and enjoy my technology on the Waterfront.

3rd/4th free - at some point this wasn't a Choice, it was separate perk; now that I had to consider it as a 2nd choice it was the best choice for us as my teen nephew will be with us.

For our planning 3rd/4th and the Shorex were actual money savers so I selected those for our trip.

For my solo inside cruise I've also selected Shorex. If I had two choices I might add Specialty dining.

I agree about being "unplugged" on vacation. Last year, our son and his two children cruised with us. He made the mistake of purchasing them the wifi and we hardly saw them the whole week!! Always had a nose in the device. What ever happened to living "life"?

I agree that you have to drink a lot to get money's worth of UBP, but I chose that so that I can order anything I want guilt free of ruining my budget!

You really don't understand why some folks needs to be connected ?

Perhaps they need to stay in touch with children or other family while away .

I can name dozens of other reasons why many need to be connected as well. We don't all have the luxury of "disconnecting " while on vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well. I cruised before internet and left all the ship emergency numbers with the grandparents. And my husband just did not work because his office could not reach him.

So 5 years later, you're telling me that it is impossible and a luxury to be disconnected.

I call bs on that, its an entitlement and a luxury to be connected, not a necessity.

Well. I cruised before internet and left all the ship emergency numbers with the grandparents. And my husband just did not work because his office could not reach him.

So 5 years later, you're telling me that it is impossible and a luxury to be disconnected.

I call bs on that, its an entitlement and a luxury to be connected, not a necessity.

I, too, cruised before the Internet, and DID have a family emergency while at sea. But I always give info to family about ship, etc. my phone does not work at sea unless I purchase an International plan. I, too, have an elderly parent, but between my brother and myself, one of us is usually home when the other is away. I totally understand why some people feel the need to stay connected via wifi. I just don't want to. And today's kids are living life on a device, rather than experiencing true life. I can see a parent wanting it for emergencies, but for the kids? What an injustice you are doing to them if you allow them to stay connected. Kids today need to start experiencing all their surroundings and meet real people in person and have conversations face to face. I saw this happen with my one son and his children. Thank goodness my other adult children had the sense to not allow it for their teens, and those teens did EVERYTHING on the ship---while the other two teens just sat around on devices!

I can name dozens of other reasons why many need to be connected as well. We don't all have the luxury of "disconnecting " while on vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed! I too have reasons for choosing Wifi - and it's not a "waste" of my vacation. SMH

You can call BS if you want, but I wouldn't cruise if I didn't have wifi access. I cruise solo and keep in touch with my children. If I couldn't do that, I would take land vacations. It's not an entitlement to be connected -- it's an option we choose to pay for. I'm not saying it's impossible to be disconnected on vacation, but I don't want to be and that's my choice. Yours is different. Great. Do what you want, but there's no need to be judgmental of the choices others make.

Agreed! I too have reasons for choosing Wifi - and it's not a "waste" of my vacation. SMH

Just thrown in my 2 cents here on WiFi vs. other "free" perks offered by NCL - for those who aren't sure - FWIW.

Among them, we valued communications over other "free" choices, and it's not for Netflix or FaceTime or calling the pet-sitter, etc. It is 2016, using WiFi supported smartphones like iPhones and/or Nexus (Android) devices, we can call 140+ countries worldwide and home for almost free and pay as little as 2 to 20 cents a minute, over 2.5G or 3G WiFi (HSPA+ or 4G-LTE are not needed) instead of paying satellite relayed pricing for voice calls.

FYI - Breakaway has the best & faster broadband connectivity up to now - 250 minutes equal 1,000 MB or 1GB worth of WiFi data, which translated also into a little over 1,000 minutes of "connected" airtime for us on our last cruise under the "free" promotion. I did an extensive write-up in our recent BA cruise about various options/ways of staying connected - as our choice - for practically free (almost, well - aside from our regular monthly plan expenses).

NCL's SpeedNet as announced, and, a free-lance journalist - working with CC & sources - also reported on CNN about it recently - is coming this month; and, once that's rolled out fleetwide, should prove to be much more valuable ... might be useless to some, but not a waste for others.

Some of us (as adult "children") have frail elderly parents of our own that we care deeply about - mom had chronic health issues in 2015 when we cruised & vacationed overseas then - and, while health care proxies and DNR orders, etc. were in place - we simply do NOT wish to be offline on a planned basis ... it's a matter of choice, of our own.

By the same token, I can argue - for other reasons - that the dining and/or beverage programs are a waste; but, not going to impose value judgement on others - to each his/her own :p ;)

Could anybody explain if gratuities are extra charged when you choose cruise with Premium Drink Package (in Free at Sea promotion) ?

I am considering Panama cruise in Jan 2017 and created option for it.

UBP (NCL is using in some places name "Premium Drink Package", in others "Ultimate Beverage Package" but I think it is the same) has been added to my option; in received confirmation there is no information about additional gratuity for UBP I should pay.

Looking at therms I found on website http://www.ncl.eu/promotions/free-at-sea/terms/ I see that " Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package.".

Because some of travellers on forum wrote earlier that they have been charged extra for gratuities, do you know what is the current policy ? Does NCL charge or not charge extra gratuities for drink package included in promo offers ?

I wanted to be sure about the entire cost of the cruise before:-)

Because some of travellers on forum wrote earlier that they have been charged extra for gratuities, do you know what is the current policy ? Does NCL charge or not charge extra gratuities for drink package included in promo offers ?

I can tell you we booked last week and were charged 99.54 (79*7*.18) each as the gratuity on the cost of the free drinks. I have read somewhere that UK residents are not charged this but I can't verify that. I figure I would easily drink 14 dollars a day including tip, so it's a good value for me.

Edited by KarlChilders

Could anybody explain if gratuities are extra charged when you choose cruise with Premium Drink Package (in Free at Sea promotion) ?

I am considering Panama cruise in Jan 2017 and created option for it.

UBP (NCL is using in some places name "Premium Drink Package", in others "Ultimate Beverage Package" but I think it is the same) has been added to my option; in received confirmation there is no information about additional gratuity for UBP I should pay.

Looking at therms I found on website http://www.ncl.eu/promotions/free-at-sea/terms/ I see that " Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package.".

Hi, Greg! Posh here. :)

It depends on whether you used a U.S. travel agent when you booked. Booking in the UK, the gratuities are included, but if you book in the U.S. you have to pay them. I don't know about booking in/from Poland. If you do a mock booking online--go through the entire process except payment, you'll see them added on along with port charges and taxes.

Hope you're doing well!

Jayne

Hi Jayne:-)

It is very nice to see you again! Thank you for your advice. I made option directly using NCL website. Probably it is dedicated for EU contries, there is no special Polish site. I have not found in any place info about gratuities so I hope they are included as it is written in therms. Hope see you during any next cruise in the future:-)

Hi Jayne:-)

It is very nice to see you again! Thank you for your advice. I made option directly using NCL website. Probably it is dedicated for EU contries, there is no special Polish site. I have not found in any place info about gratuities so I hope they are included as it is written in therms. Hope see you during any next cruise in the future:-)

You, too! I'll be back on the Epic in Sept 2017 for a western Med cruise. Can't wait!

If you booked through the site, it should be easy enough to find out. Just log into your MyNCL account and go to your vacation summary. Scroll down the page and click on "Payment," If you look at the bottom of the Payment section, it'll have a line that says "Choice Promotion Service Charge." That's the gratuities. If you don't have that line, then it sounds like you don't pay the 18% gratuities. I'm guessing that'll be the case since you're in the EU.

Best wishes!

J

Does the UBP include speciality coffees?

From NCL Bold added by me

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15 USD. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $15 USD will receive an $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account. Ultimate Beverage Package is not available on the Pride of America.

Does anyone pick the wifi package? Seems crazy to me. UBP and SDP every time.

Sure, I did on my last cruise, my wife and I don't drink enough that the 18 percent gratuity on the UBP can be justified, and we were in the haven and liked the haven dining better than the specialty restaurants.

I'm inferring you only get 1 perk on your sailing and you're choosing 250 minutes of free wifi to be online and connected instead of unlimited soda, beer, wine and alcohol or upgraded dining for 4 dinners. :confused:

Everyone is entitled to their own choice, but it seems like the 250 minutes of wifi is a distant fourth when ranking the four choices, at least when perusing the boards.

Bear in mind that the UBP and SDP are not "free." There's a fake 18 percent "gratuity" that they charge for it, if you like the included food anyway and only have a drink or two a day it doesn't make sense to pick those perks.

We made the mistake of asking a verklempt lady why she was on her phone so much.

Her mother was dying.

For the rest of the cruise, she kept us up on all the sad news.:eek:

I wish I was a smart phone... I'd get more attention from me wife.

Edited by $hip$hape

my husband just did not work because his office could not reach him.

I agree with you. It's an American cultural problem as far as work goes. People vacationed long before they could remain "connected."

Now it's an excuse that (bad) employers use to hold over their employees not being available 24/7, even when on vacation. On the other side, employees have allowed employers to take advantage of them in this way instead of standing up for themselves.

When I am on vacation, I am on vacation. My away message "I'll respond to you when I return. If this is an emergency, contact XYZ" No, "I'm on vacation but checking email occasionally." B.S.

And when I go home for the night, that time is for me, my wife and my kids. I'm not sitting there with my phone on the table looking for notifications of new work email messages.

The world has never ended, I have never been fired, and actually do quite well for myself. If everyone took this approach, employers would have far less leverage to threaten people or intimidate them into letting work invade their personal time. Corporate culture just sucks in so many ways and in so many companies.

In the very grand scheme of things, many of us are doing work that isn't the least bit important, but we have placed a disproportionate amount of focus on the importance of our work. There's a reason why when someone is laid off or leaves a company to go to another job that the company goes on - it's because none of us are really that important on an individual basis.

[...]

If you booked through the site, it should be easy enough to find out. Just log into your MyNCL account and go to your vacation summary. Scroll down the page and click on "Payment," If you look at the bottom of the Payment section, it'll have a line that says "Choice Promotion Service Charge." That's the gratuities. If you don't have that line, then it sounds like you don't pay the 18% gratuities. I'm guessing that'll be the case since you're in the EU.

[...]

Thanks once again:-)

Unfortunately in MyNCL option there is no "payment" section. Probably it will appear after confirming option/payment of deposit. I will contact NCL tomorrow to be sure how it is working.

I see you like Epic - it is really nice ship:-)

Have a nice cruise next year!

Thanks once again:-)

Unfortunately in MyNCL option there is no "payment" section. Probably it will appear after confirming option/payment of deposit. I will contact NCL tomorrow to be sure how it is working.

I see you like Epic - it is really nice ship:-)

Have a nice cruise next year!

I'm sorry--I misunderstood. I thought you were saying you'd already booked it. If you go through the booking process right after you select your fare (it'll give you different fare options, so choose the one with beverage package) it'll show over to the right whether the gratuities are being adding to your final payment amount.

Yes, I was hesitant about the Epic. I didn't think I'd like a ship that big, but I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to sailing her again. But, before that I have my Pearl and Sun cruises to look forward to. :D