Visa in Rio

A Knitter

It was my belief that was true, however, I'm living proof it is not. In October, I was on an Amazon/Panama Canal cruise and had gotten my Brazilian visa in what was an amazingly short turn around time out of Houston. Everything I had read indicated they would be issued for five years.

I now have a South American cruise ending in Rio booked for February. Lo and behold, in checking my visa, it was only a 90 day visa and I've had toreapply - yes another $110 plus express shipping. When contacted about it, they said I should have indicated that I wanted one for future trips as well. But there is no place on the app or in the instructions to do so. But, believe me, I found a place to make a note this time. Houston says it's at the discretion of the particular embassy and there is no consistency among the various consulates. So, it's a crap shoot!!:(

Still waiting for the return.............

Tjcox,

Wow, Good to know! Thanks for posting.

I just went and checked my Brazillian Visa from last year and it's good for 5 years. Whew!

Good chance we'll do another cruise to South America within the next 5 years. I"d be SOOO annoyed if I had to get another one!

Jane

...and it's only good as long as your passport that contains it is good. If your passport expires before the visa expires, you still must get a new visa for the new passport if you want to return.

BTW: We used Zierer and were very pleased, despite the extra cost.

(Just back from fab 16-day cruise from Valparaiso to Rio, with 2 days at the Falls post-cruise plus two extra days in Rio for Christmas.)

Happy new year,

Mary-Lou

...and it's only good as long as your passport that contains it is good. If your passport expires before the visa expires, you still must get a new visa for the new passport if you want to return.

Mary-Lou

Are you 100% sure about that?

A friend of mine here in NY has a Brazillian girlfriend so they each go back and forth between here and there many times a year.

I *thought* he told me that when his passport expired but his Visa didn't, he was able to move the Visa to the new passport. However, if you're certain, then perhaps he told me that his passport book pages got used up and when he got a new book, the Visa was still good. (thought I thought they just give you new pages for the original book) Now I don't recall what he said. However, I do know that it involved a new book for his passport and he was able to move the page with the Visa from the old book to the new one.

Well, it's probably a moot point for most people here anyway.

Jane

It was my understanding that if your passport expires and Brazilian visa is still good, that you just carry the old passport that has the still valid visa along with the new passport.

At least, that's what I've seen others say on these boards and it was working for them that way.

YEAH!! My new five year visa arrived in mail today from Houston. The note I added specifically requesting five year visa this time must have worked.

Archived