Visa in Rio

A Knitter

Hi. I was hoping someone could advise us about what is needed in Rio when we arrive. Acting on the advise of many of you, we are using Peter Novak from www.privatetours.com to pick us up from the airport, tour, drop us off and then start again the next day. I know they are fingerprinting Americans and asking for a photograph, not a passport photo just a casual photo. Also how long does it take to receive a Visa once we have applied. Thanks in advance. Maria

We dropped the forms off at the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago in person along with a prepaid mailer and a postal money order with photos and form filled out and they promise a 3 to 5 day turn around. They beat the promise. You need to start the process as soon as you get inside the 90 day window of your trip!

jc

• 2 weeks later...

Maria,

You don't tell us where you're from in your header making it more difficult to answer your question.

If you live in NYC, you go to the Brazillian Consulate one day, fill out the application, leave it with your Passport and your check for $100. and then pick up your Visa the next day. Very simple.

You will love Peter. He's wonderful!

Jane

Sorry. We did get the necessary info and will complete process through our travel agent who uses a service for visas. Yes, Peter is great and we haven't even met him but his emails are prompt. Can't wait. Thanks again Jane and everyone.

Just tuned in to check about Visas, and here was this thread. Since we're in Maine, I'm sure we'll have to mail our's. Another month and we'll be within the 90 day window. We're also using Peter Novak while in Rio. We'll be docked there for 3 days during Carnaval. He also put us in touch with Carlos Vitro in Buenos Aires for a tour while we spend 4 days in B.A. before the cruise. I've been very impressed with Peter to date, and we too, haven't even met him yet!

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had heard horror stories about the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago and their delay in processing visas. The friends we are traveling with went to Chicago (2 hours) , dropped their passports off, gave him a USPS express folder (or the like) and he received it by return main within 4 days. We took ours to the PO and paid for certified mail with return receipt, following all the directions on the consulate website and got ours within 2 weeks. Total cost $5.35 plus visa fees. And no trip to downtown Chicago!!! I will add that in the consulate directions it says they will receive by "registered mail." Two post offices I went to for directions indicated that registered is for things of value and a passport has no "monetary" value and so they sent it certified. I was a little concered about it, but everything is OK and I'm ready to go.

We assume that even if we take the ship's tour of Rio we will still need a visa. Our ship will be in port for only 8 hours and we plan on taking the ship's tour of the city. I guess from what we have read on this board that it does not make a difference and we should send away for the visa ASAP.

If we are incorrect, please let us know.

Thanks

Been off the boards for a while! Yes, Yannis, we're on the Feb 19 sailing on the Milennium. Was just reviewing what's needed for a Visa...have to get a photo, which I hadn't realized. We'll be getting to this chore soon. Starting to get cold here in Maine....had snow on Thanksgiving. Looking forward to Buenos Aires, Rio, and the whole cruise!

Been off the boards for a while! Yes, Yannis, we're on the Feb 19 sailing on the Milennium. Was just reviewing what's needed for a Visa...have to get a photo, which I hadn't realized. We'll be getting to this chore soon. Starting to get cold here in Maine....had snow on Thanksgiving. Looking forward to Buenos Aires, Rio, and the whole cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Lady Jane

Today I got our passports with the required visas for Brazil. I filled the applications with the attached required photos , a Postal money order for $220 for two of us and a self addressed prepaid certified mail (requires signature for receipt) envelope for the return of the passports with the visa

In the application space requiring address and telephone number in Brazil I put Celebrity Cruises Millennium ship.

The application with the passports were sent on November 28th certified mail to the Brazilian Consulate in Boston.

The Brazilian Consulate received the package on December 7. Today (December12) the passports arrived with the Visa included. The total process took exactly 2 weeks.

After examining the visas that showed the approval day of 7/12/05 thought that the approval date was wrong. I then realized that the Brazilians like the Europeans as well most of the world use “date” month” year” instead of month, date, year.

Yannis

We had heard horror stories about the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago and their delay in processing visas. The friends we are traveling with went to Chicago (2 hours) , dropped their passports off, gave him a USPS express folder (or the like) and he received it by return main within 4 days. We took ours to the PO and paid for certified mail with return receipt, following all the directions on the consulate website and got ours within 2 weeks. Total cost $5.35 plus visa fees. And no trip to downtown Chicago!!! I will add that in the consulate directions it says they will receive by "registered mail." Two post offices I went to for directions indicated that registered is for things of value and a passport has no "monetary" value and so they sent it certified. I was a little concered about it, but everything is OK and I'm ready to go.

I've never heard about any big delays from anyone. I'm glad the process went smoothly for you.

For those who live close to NYC, all you have to do it drop off the application one day and then pick it up the next day. I got mine 2 weeks before our cruise with no hassle.

It's good for either 5 or 10 years (I forget, but it's stamped right on it) so hold onto it even if you get a new passport, so if you visit Brazil again within that time, you'll have it.

Jane

The Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco told us to apply no EARLIER than 60 days out, as it is only good for 90 days. Turnaround? 24 hours.

However, you have to hand-deliver it to them (or hire a passport agency to hand-deliver it for you). Using a passport agency, it took about 5 days, I believe from the time we sent it to the agency in Texas to the time we got it back. Very quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing but praises for the way the Brazillian Embassy staff handled my partner's and my visa application. We used the mail. In exactly two weeks from the day which I mailed our passports to Washington, D.C. we had them back.

My partner missed putting in the citizenship of his parents on the application and the person in the embassy whom was handling our visa application called to both my place of work and my partner's to get the correct information. My hat is off to her! :)

The Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco told us to apply no EARLIER than 60 days out, as it is only good for 90 days. Turnaround? 24 hours.

However, you have to hand-deliver it to them (or hire a passport agency to hand-deliver it for you). Using a passport agency, it took about 5 days, I believe from the time we sent it to the agency in Texas to the time we got it back. Very quick.

The Brazillian Visa is good for either 5 or 10 years, not 90 days. The expiration date will be stamped on it. I'd look at mine and tell you but it's packed away.

Archived