Foreign Currency

BecL

That is a shocking exchange each way, the ship's exchange is always badly stacked against you.:eek:

Yes it always is. If you change money at a bank or money change place, then want to change the same amount back, you will lose significantly. That is the way they make money.

I have noticed on board that after the ship leaves port there are several people lined up to exchange their money back to AUD. On one cruise, the man ahead of me wanted to change his XPF after our first (of three) ports in New Caledonia. Fortunately the girl behind the Customer Services desk pointed this out and suggested he keep his XPF for the next two ports.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We did a South Pacific cruise on Solstice in Nov/Dec, on advise given on the roll call we thought we should have CPD for Noumea. We found that Travelex which we usually use to exchange had a minimum of AUD250, so we changed $70 at customer service onboard.

Unfortunately my wife hurt her foot on Lifou and we didn't get off at next two ports.

We exchanged 70AUD, when we went to change it back we got 45AUD. Lesson learnt, avoid changing onboard, that is more than a slight variation!! Yes I have the dockets to prove it :)

We cruise again in 3 weeks, we won't be exchanging for CPD, if we need any we will use an ATM.

I am sorry you experienced this. The worst part of the story is that you didn't need to change AUD into local currency at all for the South Pacific ports and that would have been my advice. :D

As are the banks.

Then they add a fee on top.

That's the problem with buy from the bank. The exchange rate doesn't look too bad until you consider the flat fee on top. US dollars from the Post Office is a reasonable deal but the minimum purchase is $200 (or is it $250?). The other problem with the PO is that it usually comes in very large denominations.

That's the problem with buy from the bank. The exchange rate doesn't look too bad until you consider the flat fee on top. US dollars from the Post Office is a reasonable deal but the minimum purchase is $200 (or is it $250?). The other problem with the PO is that it usually comes in very large denominations.

When I want some cash exchanged in Australia, I go to George street Sydney near China town. Whatever I want for a reasonable price.