MSC Divina - July 2016

macdon9876

After some considerable thought (based on both the positive and negative reviews here and elsewhere), we've decided to book on the MSC Divina for a sailing this summer, July 2016.

We've only cruised once before, as a couple last summer onboard Independence of the Seas. It was a phenomenal experience, and I thought we would stay loyal to RCI for years to come. Alas, their pricing this summer is just too high for us. We're sailing as a family this year - us, our two children, and two grandparents. The two-for-one balcony and kids sail free on MSC was too good to pass up, and even with the very poor Canadian dollar exchange, it's still an amazing deal.

We booked two Fantastica balconies, side-by-side. The grandparents have sailed a number of times before, but they aren't loyal to any one brand (although this will be their first time on MSC).

We found that cruising is definitely what you make it, and as such we are excited. We've read mostly good reviews of the kids club (although between grandparents and four ports, they might not spend a whole lot of time there). I worry a bit about the food - that is definitely an area of very mixed reviews. The service was wonderful on Indy last summer, so we'll see how Divina compares. I also wonder about the onboard experiences - the daily bulletins people have posted seem a bit thin for activities, but we only have two sea days so, again, a good way to test that out.

What keeps popping up in the back of my mind is the old adage, "You get what you pay for..." That worries me a bit, but I also try to apply some logic to the situation: If MSC is trying to build their brand and attract new, loyal North American customers, perhaps they're using deals like two-for-one as a type of loss-leader to get people on the boat. From what I've read, they've struggled to balance their European flavour with the US market demands (i.e. the "Carnivalization" of the industry), so perhaps they're trying hard to find that sweet spot. Let's hope!

Anyway, this is just some idle rambling, although I'd love to hear others' thoughts. Thank you to those who have posted reviews and thoughts about Divina.

One question that does come to mind: We booked through a TA (he's the one who found the deal - I hadn't heard of MSC before then). When I try to access Manage Bookings on the MSC US website, I can't log in. Does it take a few days before the site updates with new booking info, does anyone know?

Edited by macdon9876

The Divina is a beautiful ship with great entertainment so go with an open mind and draw your own conclusions, we love the Divina and have been on her 5x and another 2 booked and as far as logging in ,did you register? because we booked 2 cruises yesterday on the Seaside and we were able to do our check in last night for both cruises. Enjoy your cruise!!!

After some considerable thought (based on both the positive and negative reviews here and elsewhere), we've decided to book on the MSC Divina for a sailing this summer, July 2016.

We've only cruised once before, as a couple last summer onboard Independence of the Seas. It was a phenomenal experience, and I thought we would stay loyal to RCI for years to come. Alas, their pricing this summer is just too high for us. We're sailing as a family this year - us, our two children, and two grandparents. The two-for-one balcony and kids sail free on MSC was too good to pass up, and even with the very poor Canadian dollar exchange, it's still an amazing deal.

We booked two Fantastica balconies, side-by-side. The grandparents have sailed a number of times before, but they aren't loyal to any one brand (although this will be their first time on MSC).

We found that cruising is definitely what you make it, and as such we are excited. We've read mostly good reviews of the kids club (although between grandparents and four ports, they might not spend a whole lot of time there). I worry a bit about the food - that is definitely an area of very mixed reviews. The service was wonderful on Indy last summer, so we'll see how Divina compares. I also wonder about the onboard experiences - the daily bulletins people have posted seem a bit thin for activities, but we only have two sea days so, again, a good way to test that out.

What keeps popping up in the back of my mind is the old adage, "You get what you pay for..." That worries me a bit, but I also try to apply some logic to the situation: If MSC is trying to build their brand and attract new, loyal North American customers, perhaps they're using deals like two-for-one as a type of loss-leader to get people on the boat. From what I've read, they've struggled to balance their European flavour with the US market demands (i.e. the "Carnivalization" of the industry), so perhaps they're trying hard to find that sweet spot. Let's hope!

Anyway, this is just some idle rambling, although I'd love to hear others' thoughts. Thank you to those who have posted reviews and thoughts about Divina.

One question that does come to mind: We booked through a TA (he's the one who found the deal - I hadn't heard of MSC before then). When I try to access Manage Bookings on the MSC US website, I can't log in. Does it take a few days before the site updates with new booking info, does anyone know?

Which sailing are you going on? We also cruised the Independence Of The Seas last August, but a had a different experience than you. We haven't sailed MSC before either, but always up for an experience.

Same thing here. First timers on MSC and with the 2 for 1 balcony sale plus kids sail free, the total cost for 4 people is about the cost for 1 person on Royal.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned. The more reviews that I read, the more petty the complaints seem. I've been doing a lot of reading and familiarizing myself with what we can expect because, in my experience, the quickest way to be disappointed with a cruise is to go with unrealistic expectations. I won't expect Royal, I won't expect Princess. Heck, I won't expect Carnival. I will expect MSC. 🙂

Edited by Tapi

I also book with TA so i asked him my reservation number and used it to log in the 'book your extra services' part of the website. There you can see your sailing details. Or you can register and log with you on id and password via the 'my msc' on top of the page. Hope it helps!

I've sailed MSC once and have two more booked. I really think it's a great value. My first cruise, I got a suite for four and airline tickets for about $1000 less than it would have cost me to drive to Galveston and sail Carnival.

I think the reason prices are so low is that most people do not know anything about MSC. I have several friends that cruise regularly but aren't obsessed with cruising and they've never heard of the line. In fact I've told dozens of people about our cruise and not one of them had ever heard of MSC.

If you go in expecting a cruise similar to US based cruiselines you will be disappointed. But if you go with an open mind, you will have a great cruise. The entertainment is some of the best I've experienced. I really liked the food. Overall, it was a great cruise.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Thank you for the replies. I've tried the various suggestions re: looking at my booking, but still no luck. My TA is looking into it.

We're going on the July 23rd sailing, and all four ports are new from the three we visited last year on Indy. We're very excited!

Thanks, too, for the reassurances from folks to have been on the ship lately.

Now to just hope and pray that the exchange starts going the other way! Since booking the cruise, the CAD-USD exchange rate has gone down three cents - the Canadian dollar is in a bit of free fall right now. We have some USD saved, luckily, but not enough for the whole trip.

Edited by macdon9876

I've sailed MSC once and have two more booked. I really think it's a great value. My first cruise, I got a suite for four and airline tickets for about $1000 less than it would have cost me to drive to Galveston and sail Carnival.

I think the reason prices are so low is that most people do not know anything about MSC. I have several friends that cruise regularly but aren't obsessed with cruising and they've never heard of the line. In fact I've told dozens of people about our cruise and not one of them had ever heard of MSC.

If you go in expecting a cruise similar to US based cruiselines you will be disappointed. But if you go with an open mind, you will have a great cruise. The entertainment is some of the best I've experienced. I really liked the food. Overall, it was a great cruise.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Your offering to answer questions is taken by an outsider as this line is a mystery to me. We are retired and we do not dress up any longer. What happens on Gala Nights? How formal is MSC formal and if we decide to opt out may we eat dinner on our balcony?

This line sounds great but I am concerned about fitting into MSC ship life. Lately we have sailed NCL and Carnival and way back Princess. The former two are real casual in our opinion. Fancy dress and optional Jackets and ties expected.

Thank you for helping me out.

We are retired and we do not dress up any longer. What happens on Gala Nights? How formal is MSC formal and if we decide to opt out may we eat dinner on our balcony?

This line sounds great but I am concerned about fitting into MSC ship life. Lately we have sailed NCL and Carnival and way back Princess. The former two are real casual in our opinion. Fancy dress and optional Jackets and ties expected.

I would say gala nights are closer to Princess than Carnival or NCL. I wore my suit and felt comfortable. Most people dress up on formal night.

You could order room service and eat on your balcony or go to the buffet if you do not want to dress up.

I would say gala nights are closer to Princess than Carnival or NCL. I wore my suit and felt comfortable. Most people dress up on formal night.

You could order room service and eat on your balcony or go to the buffet if you do not want to dress up.

Thanks so much for your answer. This was the only issue holding me back a little bit. I will wait for 2017 May - Fall 2017 itineraries to decide. We did the balcony Breakfast a few times on Princess and wished we tired the balcony dinner so this is the perfect opportunity to enjoy a nice meal on our balcony.

Enjoy the good deals while they last. Once MSC builds up a steady clientele base and establishes itself in N America, I doubt we will see these exceptional discount deals to continue much longer.

I agree, it's such a great value I'm recommending to all my friends to get on MSC now before they double their prices when everyone knows about them. But go with an open mind, it's not American - then you'll have a great time.

Thank you for the replies. I've tried the various suggestions re: looking at my booking, but still no luck. My TA is looking into it.

We're going on the July 23rd sailing, and all four ports are new from the three we visited last year on Indy. We're very excited!

Thanks, too, for the reassurances from folks to have been on the ship lately.

Now to just hope and pray that the exchange starts going the other way! Since booking the cruise, the CAD-USD exchange rate has gone down three cents - the Canadian dollar is in a bit of free fall right now. We have some USD saved, luckily, but not enough for the whole trip.

I couldn't log in either. After being on hold for 1 1/2 hours I was told that my date of birth wasn't entered in my booking. After it was entered I was able to log on right away!

Thanks so much for your answer. This was the only issue holding me back a little bit. I will wait for 2017 May - Fall 2017 itineraries to decide. We did the balcony Breakfast a few times on Princess and wished we tired the balcony dinner so this is the perfect opportunity to enjoy a nice meal on our balcony.

You can't enjoy a nice meal on your balcony. They don't offer full room service emu but far more limited things like soup, sandwiches, fruit. It's more a snack or light meal than a substitute for the 6 course dinners in the MDR.

You do have the option of the buffet or perhaps a speciality restaurant if you don't want to attend the gala dinners.

I came across this thread and was thinking about booking this ship as well . I wanna surprise my husband for his retirement cruise . Can someone tell me what's a good affordable balcony cabin that would be between cabin decks? I would consider ocean view as well. We're experienced cruisers on Carnival , Royal and Princess but my husband has always been the one to pick and book. I'm looking at April or May, whichever is a better deal.

Really appreciate any advice and explain the different levels I'm seeing on the website, ( forget the top two, lol)

Edited by jstcruizin

Can someone tell me what's a good affordable balcony cabin that would be between cabin decks? I would consider ocean view as well.

Really appreciate any advice and explain the different levels I'm seeing on the website, ( forget the top two, lol)

I am just learning my way around MSC as we prepare for our first cruise in May, but I'll tell you what we've learned.

Originally we had booked a "Bella Experience" B1 balcony on deck 8. However, after realizing that we would be right above a lounge (and fearing that we would be kept awake by music late into the night), we upgraded to a "Fantastica Experience" B2 balcony on deck 10. Initially we were given a choice of decks, but opted for this deck simply because the cabin is located in the aft section of the ship where it widens so we can look straight down into the ocean (more midship cabins look down onto lifeboats and a promenade).

To upgrade, the difference in price was roughly $35pp, but I think it's well worth it. In addition to the better location, Fantastica staterooms include complimentary room service as well as enhanced activities for the kids, and half off pricing on fitness courses, all which we will take advantage of.

Keep in mind that right now MSC is having a 2 for 1 balcony sale which means that you will most likely pay considerably less for a balcony than for an oceanview stateroom.

I am just learning my way around MSC as we prepare for our first cruise in May, but I'll tell you what we've learned.

Originally we had booked a "Bella Experience" B1 balcony on deck 8. However, after realizing that we would be right above a lounge (and fearing that we would be kept awake by music late into the night), we upgraded to a "Fantastica Experience" B2 balcony on deck 10. Initially we were given a choice of decks, but opted for this deck simply because the cabin is located in the aft section of the ship where it widens so we can look straight down into the ocean (more midship cabins look down onto lifeboats and a promenade).

To upgrade, the difference in price was roughly $35pp, but I think it's well worth it. In addition to the better location, Fantastica staterooms include complimentary room service as well as enhanced activities for the kids, and half off pricing on fitness courses, all which we will take advantage of.

Keep in mind that right now MSC is having a 2 for 1 balcony sale which means that you will most likely pay considerably less for a balcony than for an oceanview stateroom.

Thanks, that helps, we like being in between cabin decks where there's no worry of loud music, I just stress when I'm not familiar with a ship,

For all sailing on the Divina, here is absolutely the most comprehensive review, with pics, menus, daily newsletters, etc that I have ever seen.

We are looking forward to our first MSC Divina cruise this September.

By the way, this is a very long review, but totally worth reading.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/msc-divina-review/