Ketchikan Help Needed

txwriter

We aren't traveling until 2017. We'll be in Ketchikan on June 1, 2017. The party will by myself and my mom (almost 73 at time of trip). Mom has some slight mobility issues. She can walk without a walker or cane and does fine, but we may take a walker with us as it does seem to help her walk for longer periods of time without hurting.

Our ship is scheduled 10am-6pm, and I've discerned by reading the boards that the all aboard will be around 5:30pm. Does anyone know if 10am is the time we can walk off? Or will it be later?

Mom really wants to go fishing while in Alaska, and we couldn't work it out so that we can fish before boarding the boat. She originally wanted to try river fishing, but sitting in one position for several hours would probably make her back hurt too much to do anything the next day (including traveling to our next location), so that was ruled out. We felt an ocean charter would be best, and we found a charter in Ketchikan that we like. So, we're planning on taking a 4 hour salmon excursion. (And yes, I've checked the fishing charts and know king salmon should be available but am aware they may not be plentiful).

I'd ideally like to see the lumberjack show, but I'm not sure if we can do that and the fishing excursion with our time in port. I've looked at the times for the show and wanted to know if these times generally are the same year to year. Also, is it 1-1/2 hours?

We don't want to be late getting back to the boat.:eek:

The fishing excursion is out of Clover Pass Resort, and the fishing guide has recommended we use Sour Dough Taxicab to get to and back from the resort, but at $70 round trip it seems expensive. Would renting a car be better? Or are there other taxi services we could use?

Also, is Creek Street strictly a walking only area or would a rental car be a good idea? How's parking in Ketchikan if we drive around? Are there off the beaten path places worth seeing that we'd be able to access better with a car?

I know about the Cape Fox Lodge funicular, but how far is the walking distance from the ship?

Any advice or help you can give is appreciated.:)

I've rented from Alaska Car Rental (800-666-0007 or 907-225-5000). They picked me up and dropped me off at the pier. Their office is just a few miles, if that far, from the port. The total cost has been a little under $70, including gasoline. so price wise, it's almost a wash with the taxi, but if you have time, you'll be able to drive around a bit.

I've never driven for things in town, so parking was never a problem. I really enjoyed totem Bight State Park. there's lots of information about it on these boards. They have over a dozen or so restored totems and a clan house, all in a beautiful park setting. Next door to the park is a really nice gift shop, too.

Creek Street is a few blocks from the ship. I guess you could drive there, but you want to walk along the actual street - it's really a boardwalk along the creek.

Creek Street is not a road, it is a boardwalk walkway. You don't drive it. There also is very limited parking nearby.

Yes ships generally clear around the time they are supposed to, BUT no guarantees.

As you know, this is a poor time for fishing. I've been traveling Ketchikan for over 20 years, every year, consistently not a recommended time. I'm assuming it doesn't matter if you don't catch anything?

Why aren't you finding a fishing vendor in Ketchikan, with pick up at the dock? Clover Pass is a long distance from downtown Ketchikan. Renting a car is adding extra time, and as noted, is going to be similar pricing. If you use a cab- you'll need to call them, at least a 1/2 hour prior to needing them, so I'd suggest an arranged pick up. With your Lumberjack preference- you need to have the fishing trip at the beginning or end of your port day. You should be able to include it. You may want to consider a folding transfer chair. They take up little room, but are a big advantage if you need it. Cruise ships are huge and it will allow a lot less worrying about distances.

Creek Street is not a road, it is a boardwalk walkway. You don't drive it. There also is very limited parking nearby.

Yes ships generally clear around the time they are supposed to, BUT no guarantees.

As you know, this is a poor time for fishing. I've been traveling Ketchikan for over 20 years, every year, consistently not a recommended time. I'm assuming it doesn't matter if you don't catch anything?

Why aren't you finding a fishing vendor in Ketchikan, with pick up at the dock? Clover Pass is a long distance from downtown Ketchikan. Renting a car is adding extra time, and as noted, is going to be similar pricing. If you use a cab- you'll need to call them, at least a 1/2 hour prior to needing them, so I'd suggest an arranged pick up. With your Lumberjack preference- you need to have the fishing trip at the beginning or end of your port day. You should be able to include it. You may want to consider a folding transfer chair. They take up little room, but are a big advantage if you need it. Cruise ships are huge and it will allow a lot less worrying about distances.

I really don't know why I should need to justify my choice of vendors, but this particular vendor has good reviews, offers excursions for just two people verses having to have a minimum of four, and has excellent communication. In short, I liked him. It's important for me to feel comfortable with someone who is taking me out on a boat; also I dislike giving large sums of money to people I don't like.:)

There is some chance that I may cancel the fishing, but my mom really gets excited when she tells people, so it's a slim chance. I'll take the odds with fishing at the "wrong time."

Thanks for the information about the parking near Creek Street. I was aware it wasn't really a street--just trying to decide if getting a car for the day was worth it.

I have no idea what a transfer chair is. I'll look into it. The truth is she doesn't need the walker for everyday activities like running errands; we might not take it but are planning for the worst case scenario.

I really don't know why I should need to justify my choice of vendors, but this particular vendor has good reviews, offers excursions for just two people verses having to have a minimum of four, and has excellent communication. In short, I liked him. It's important for me to feel comfortable with someone who is taking me out on a boat; also I dislike giving large sums of money to people I don't like.:)

There is some chance that I may cancel the fishing, but my mom really gets excited when she tells people, so it's a slim chance. I'll take the odds with fishing at the "wrong time."

Thanks for the information about the parking near Creek Street. I was aware it wasn't really a street--just trying to decide if getting a car for the day was worth it.

I have no idea what a transfer chair is. I'll look into it. The truth is she doesn't need the walker for everyday activities like running errands; we might not take it but are planning for the worst case scenario.

Your post asked about transfer to Clover Pass and your statement mentioned the "expensive" transfer, with it adding an hour to your tour time- + you wanting to include the Lumberjack Show and go to Creek Street. Was ONLY a suggestion.

Edited by Budget Queen

I've rented from Alaska Car Rental (800-666-0007 or 907-225-5000). They picked me up and dropped me off at the pier. Their office is just a few miles, if that far, from the port. The total cost has been a little under $70, including gasoline. so price wise, it's almost a wash with the taxi, but if you have time, you'll be able to drive around a bit.

I've never driven for things in town, so parking was never a problem. I really enjoyed totem Bight State Park. there's lots of information about it on these boards. They have over a dozen or so restored totems and a clan house, all in a beautiful park setting. Next door to the park is a really nice gift shop, too.

Creek Street is a few blocks from the ship. I guess you could drive there, but you want to walk along the actual street - it's really a boardwalk along the creek.

Thank you for the information on car rentals and your experience with them.

Our ship is scheduled 10am-6pm, and I've discerned by reading the boards that the all aboard will be around 5:30pm. Does anyone know if 10am is the time we can walk off? Or will it be later?

Are there off the beaten path places worth seeing that we'd be able to access better with a car?

Any advice or help you can give is appreciated.:)

I've been in ports in which I could get off earlier than the scheduled time as well as ports where no one could get off quite at the scheduled time.

If you choose to get a rental car, I second the suggestion to see Totem Bight State Park. There is also a nice park beyond it on the same road.

My father spent the last several years of his life in a wheelchair. While some other folks may have other definitions of a "transfer" chair, to me that term means a very light-weight folding wheelchair. We had one in addition to his daily use wheelchair. Certainly not heavy-duty enough to be the primary chair, but very handy for doctors appointments and so forth as they can be folded and easily put in the trunk of a car.

Actually, a friend in Fairbanks purchased one to keep in their home to be used by her father when he was visiting from out of state. While her father could walk with the use of a walker he found it very handy to have the transfer chair to use when visiting such attractions as the Fairbanks Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum. They found that her father was much more physically active when visiting than he was at his home, so at times tired easily.

My father spent the last several years of his life in a wheelchair. While some other folks may have other definitions of a "transfer" chair, to me that term means a very light-weight folding wheelchair. We had one in addition to his daily use wheelchair. Certainly not heavy-duty enough to be the primary chair, but very handy for doctors appointments and so forth as they can be folded and easily put in the trunk of a car.

Actually, a friend in Fairbanks purchased one to keep in their home to be used by her father when he was visiting from out of state. While her father could walk with the use of a walker he found it very handy to have the transfer chair to use when visiting such attractions as the Fairbanks Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum. They found that her father was much more physically active when visiting than he was at his home, so at times tired easily.

I'm an advocate of transfer chairs, instead of wheelchairs in this case for the occasional possible use. They have 4 small wheels that make the chair sometimes able to be wheeled into narrow ship cabins. Wheelchairs have 2 large wheels that extend several inches past the chair. I'm assuming a normal weight person as well. They are pounds less weight compared to a wheelchair. Just a suggestion to consider.

If you look at this image.... I call the chair on the left a "transport" wheelchair. To those describing a "transfer" wheelchair.... are we talking about the same thing?

standard%20vs%20transport%20wheelchair.jpg

My vision of a transfer chair is something with 2 inch or smaller wheels....

118-5sa.png

Edited by xlxo