Late August bear viewing question

#1survivorfan

4 adults will be in Ketchikan on 8/22 and are interested in going to Anan for bear viewing. I called a vendor recommended by this forum and he was so helpful. He said the trip was doable but cautioned me that 8/22 is late in the season. My question is....should I risk the trip. It's going to be a lot of money and I'm not much of a gambler! Not sure we want to spend the money if the chance of seeing bears is questionable. Is there another site to view bears out of Ketchikan that would have a better chance of seeing them?

4 adults will be in Ketchikan on 8/22 and are interested in going to Anan for bear viewing. I called a vendor recommended by this forum and he was so helpful. He said the trip was doable but cautioned me that 8/22 is late in the season. My question is....should I risk the trip. It's going to be a lot of money and I'm not much of a gambler! Not sure we want to spend the money if the chance of seeing bears is questionable. Is there another site to view bears out of Ketchikan that would have a better chance of seeing them?

I've heard "Neets Bay" not sure if that is different or different enough to make a difference, I haven't done the excursion yet. (but I have it planned for late July 2017. Seeing the bears was/is my number 1 goal for this trip & I have tried to plan accordingly with my dates. With that said, I originally chose a late August sailing - didn't work for for my son's return to school.)

Have you checked with your ship? Is the tour offered then?

FWIW this is what the HAL website says, "Tour is only available between July 20th and September 15th to maximize the chance of seeing bears during the peak salmon-spawning season."

With a grain of salt if a local guide is cautious...

Edited by TheCalicoCat

In my opinion, I never consider Anan after the first week of August. I want PEAK for my fly in, costly tours. I never go on the shoulders. IF you continue with this tour- then you MUST be fully accepting of not seeing any. In your time frame Traitor's Cove is a far better location. Neets Bay is my third choice, due to the now, limited time and access compared to my earlier trips.

With cruise ship excursions NEVER ever, consider any bear tours that do not identify the location they go to. And you are always better off going direct, getting first hand accurate information. I highly recommend Southeast Aviation. There are many long time- well run floatplane vendors to choose from.