Latest Koningsdam Pics

InTheWASide

Evolve or die? What has it got that to be what exterior design to do with it?

Try look at a new design car. A bad looking car and people wouldn't even think about buying.

New china. Degrades? Who says that? If I feel the new china is ugly... in my opinion... why can't I say that? I don't have to like everything that HAL does. What a boring world to have everyone thinking exactly the same. We may as be in the old USSR!

The problem today is that ships are built by 'committee'.

Saga Cruises is building a new ship.... a pair. They came right out in the beginning saying that they wanted a good looking ship. They asked passengers to let their input. They wanted a nice funnel. All balconies. A lot of single cabins. A nice wrap around promenade deck.... etc. Well, the design is shaping up quite nicely. It has same features as most other modern ships... even a lot like of KONINGSDAM.... but the stying is a bit sweeter. Even QUEEN MARY 2.... the designer, Stephen Payne, went to great pains to try to give a good looking ship.

Sorry I was referring to other criticisms, not the exterior of a new ship. Opinions are fine, and I don't care, but to critique an entire show or company m a few things is crazy to me.

If people cared about the exterior, no living soul would sail NCL's newest ships. :)

Finally a worthy competitor to NORWEGIAN EPIC! One thing is for certain, KONINGSDAM will win no beauty contests. Unfortunately she has no "good" angle that I can tell. Lets hope the interior makes up for it. Still disappointed there will not be a traditional promenade, just a skinny slab of a deck behind lifeboats with a few patches that will offer a view.

Evolve or die? What has it got that to be what exterior design to do with it?

Try look at a new design car. A bad looking car and people wouldn't even think about buying.

New china. Degrades? Who says that? If I feel the new china is ugly... in my opinion... why can't I say that? I don't have to like everything that HAL does. What a boring world to have everyone thinking exactly the same. We may as be in the old USSR!

The problem today is that ships are built by 'committee'.

Saga Cruises is building a new ship.... a pair. They came right out in the beginning saying that they wanted a good looking ship. They asked passengers to let their input. They wanted a nice funnel. All balconies. A lot of single cabins. A nice wrap around promenade deck.... etc. Well, the design is shaping up quite nicely. It has same features as most other modern ships... even a lot like of KONINGSDAM.... but the stying is a bit sweeter. Even QUEEN MARY 2.... the designer, Stephen Payne, went to great pains to try to give a good looking ship.

Quite right Stephen! It is still possible to design a ship that is aesthetically pleasing. Some cruise lines make more of an effort than others. The new Saga ships are a great example. Beautiful, modern, yet classic lines and good looks. I actually heard these ships were designed for Azamara but they passed on the option, so Saga picked it up. Don't know how true that is.

Here is another great example. The new SCENIC ECLIPSE. Absolutely stunning. Mind you not a mega-ship by any means, but you can tell that sleek good looks were important to the cruise line. This ship will turn heads no matter where she sails or docks, and for all the right reasons. Everyone that sees her will want to sail on her. Can't say the same for KONINGSDAM.

23843853014_efa093ab49_c.jpg

Quite right Stephen! It is still possible to design a ship that is aesthetically pleasing. Some cruise lines make more of an effort than others. The new Saga ships are a great example. Beautiful, modern, yet classic lines and good looks. I actually heard these ships were designed for Azamara but they passed on the option, so Saga picked it up. Don't know how true that is.

Here is another great example. The new SCENIC ECLIPSE. Absolutely stunning. Mind you not a mega-ship by any means, but you can tell that sleek good looks were important to the cruise line. This ship will turn heads no matter where she sails or docks, and for all the right reasons. Everyone that sees her will want to sail on her. Can't say the same for KONINGSDAM.

It doesn't inspire me in any way and I have zero desire to sail her. Sleek looks are important to me in the car, a ship not so much. I'm more interested in the things I enjoy on the ship. Do any Hal ships have a sleek look?

It doesn't inspire me in any way and I have zero desire to sail her. Sleek looks are important to me in the car, a ship not so much. I'm more interested in the things I enjoy on the ship.

To each his own. I feel the same way about KONINGSDAM. I pretty sure when SCENIC ECLIPSE is docked next to KONINGSDAM in some port, which ship most passerbys will be oohing and awing at .

Edited by eroller

I can see quite obviously that you are more interested in what is in side the ship than what is on the outside. That is your choice.

The thing is... a lot of other ship DO pay attention what a ship look on the outside. No different from a car... or a plane or a house. You can make a square block a house out of plain concrete and have a most stunning house internally. Most other people would not to want with it... even if just from the outside.

It doesn't inspire me in any way and I have zero desire to sail her. Sleek looks are important to me in the car, a ship not so much. I'm more interested in the things I enjoy on the ship. Do any Hal ships have a sleek look?

I like that ship's looks but don't much like I only see one life boat and presumably only one on the port side? :eek:

This seems to need a bit of refining before we know what the finished product will look like. :)

I like that ship's looks but don't much like I only see one life boat and presumably only one on the port side? :eek:

This seems to need a bit of refining before we know what the finished product will look like. :)

SCENIC ECLIPSE will only carry 228 pax. Two lifeboats is plenty. She will be about as exclusive as you can get.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wnP29qpfUs

Apparently the ultra-wealthy are more concerned with aesthetics than the average joe. I guess when you're spending $10k+ for a week you don't want to be on an ugly ship, inside or out.

Edited by eroller

Wow, stunning. Looks a little like she could be the next evolution of the Ponant Le Boreal, a ship I've admired in various ports.

SCENIC ECLIPSE will only carry 228 pax. Two lifeboats is plenty. She will be about as exclusive as you can get.

Video:

Apparently the ultra-wealthy are more concerned with aesthetics than the average joe. I guess when you're spending $10k+ for a week you don't want to be on an ugly ship, inside or out.

Ernie, Yes, will be a stunning ship for sure. Checks all boxes for me!

Even the VIKING STAR is quite stylish... without being a box.

Ernie, Yes, will be a stunning ship for sure. Checks all boxes for me!

Even the VIKING STAR is quite stylish... without being a box.

I think SCENIC ECLIPSE will be well out of my price range, but guess who will be officially old enough to sail Saga later this year? Sign me up for their new ship. It looks stunning and just the right size. Just hope they keep the funnel livery that is in the renderings as I really dislike the current Saga logo.

Edited by eroller

I Sign me up for their new ship. It looks stunning and just the right size. Just hope they keep the funnel livery that is in the renderings as I really dislike the current Saga logo.

ER,

LOL.... yes I am watching the big year for you. ;)

I don't think it is very popular. I am sure hoping the funnels will go back to the old yellow scheme.

S.

I can see quite obviously that you are more interested in what is in side the ship than what is on the outside. That is your choice.

The thing is... a lot of other ship DO pay attention what a ship look on the outside. No different from a car... or a plane or a house. You can make a square block a house out of plain concrete and have a most stunning house internally. Most other people would not to want with it... even if just from the outside.

Yes, I'm clearly to much of a rube to apprecite it:D. I'm pretty happy that I'm able to look on the inside rather than making judgements about what something looks like on the outside. I would think that would normally be a good thing, wouldn't it?

To each his own. I feel the same way about KONINGSDAM. I pretty sure when SCENIC ECLIPSE is docked next to KONINGSDAM in some port, which ship most passerbys will be oohing and awing at .

It won't be me. Then again I don't get excited over $1000 plates. I'd like to thank you again for not sailing the koningsdam.

Video:

Eroller..... Thank you. I didn't realize just how small that very pretty ship is but that is too small for me.

I don't want to sail Oasis or Allure but I also don't want to sail a ship with only 228 pax. HAL's "S" and "R" Class are my perfect size though I admit to loving Noordam and really liking Eurodam. :)

Eroller..... Thank you. I didn't realize just how small that very pretty ship is but that is too small for me.

I don't want to sail Oasis or Allure but I also don't want to sail a ship with only 228 pax. HAL's "S" and "R" Class are my perfect size though I admit to loving Noordam and really liking Eurodam. :)

Absolutely. Small ships are not for everyone. A different style of cruising for sure. While her size doesn't put me off, I think her pricing will!

The smallest ship I've sailed is WINDSTAR. The largest ALLURE OF THE SEAS. I loved both experiences, but I'm thinking 50,000-60,000 gt might be the ideal size for me. I'm trying out Oceania in March, and the size of their two new ships seems about perfect. I'll find out soon enough!

I'm still trying to get over it, InTheWASide; meanwhile, thanks for posting the photos. Boxy Lady for sure, but not unique among the looks of other lines' newer ships.

Perhaps it's like that (mock) Volvo ad from the 1980s: Volvos -- they're boxy, but they're good. ;)

Absolutely. Small ships are not for everyone. A different style of cruising for sure. While her size doesn't put me off, I think her pricing will!

The smallest ship I've sailed is WINDSTAR. The largest ALLURE OF THE SEAS. I loved both experiences, but I'm thinking 50,000-60,000 gt might be the ideal size for me. I'm trying out Oceania in March, and the size of their two new ships seems about perfect. I'll find out soon enough!

Not even a page ago you said everyone would want to sail on it ;). It didn't take long to change your mind :D.

Not even a page ago you said everyone would want to sail on it ;). It didn't take long to change your mind :D.

Oh I still think everyone that sees SCENIC ECLIPSE in person will want to sail on her, especially if she is next to KONINGSDAM. This being said, I can appreciate that a small ship might not be for everyone, just as a large ship isn't, just as an ugly ship like KONINGSDAM isn't. I doubt many will see KONINGSDAM sitting dockside and say "I have to sail on her". She doesn't evoke that kind of reaction, at least not from the pictures so far.

Edited by eroller