Book Excursions or Wait?

Thranduilien

No one answered the phone but I let a message to call me at Travel Agency, no response. I know I should have gone to another agency but allowed myself to be swayed by a friend. Oh, well.

Tomorrow, I go there with my questions and papers in hand.

I still wonder if there are any excursions we should schedule in advance. Seeing the sled dogs, possibly via helicopter, seeing eagles and a fishing trip for the SIL are on the list. Sled dogs are mandatory. If we can make arrangements on the fly that would be best way to adjust to the changing weather conditions.

Yes you should be looking at booking at a glacier sled dog tour. These are in shorter supply. You can do this out of Juneau or Skagway, via 3 vendors. No, you can't do that particular tour on the "fly". Eagles are everywhere in Alaska, you have to just look. :) Look at a fishing charter out of Ketchikan http://www.visit-ketchikan.com for listing. Determine if he wants to keep the catch?

You don't have to book with the cruise. You can book independently and maybe save some money, and have more flexible times with smaller groups. This forum is loaded with amazing information to give you an idea of what is available. Very sorry about your TA being difficult. Got her commission and she's done?

I went to the Travel agency, a little p***ed off and spoke to the secretary and she was great. Another TA was on the phone, smiled nicely and said she would be with me. Finally, got our cabin numbers, on deck 9, with the spa above us. Many of my questions answered. She corrected the problems with the NCL account but she had to make some phone calls. She seemed mystified how things had become so unorganized. We then checked the airlines schedules and picked up two non-stop flights.

I think I will follow suggestions that I make my own connections for excursions directly, not through the TA or the cruise line. Will it save some money doing it directly?

We will have to decide about going on a helicopter but all reviews seem to say it is worth it. I think my SIL and the 17 y/o, Chloe. may be unable to handle the air ride.

Now, we will look at what we can do in Anchorage for a day waiting for our tour to Denali to start. We have decided to go a day early after the stress of of last year's trip, trip delays, getting no sleep and dealing with the loss of luggage.

I went to the Travel agency, a little p***ed off and spoke to the secretary and she was great. Another TA was on the phone, smiled nicely and said she would be with me. Finally, got our cabin numbers, on deck 9, with the spa above us. Many of my questions answered. She corrected the problems with the NCL account but she had to make some phone calls. She seemed mystified how things had become so unorganized. We then checked the airlines schedules and picked up two non-stop flights.

I think I will follow suggestions that I make my own connections for excursions directly, not through the TA or the cruise line. Will it save some money doing it directly?

We will have to decide about going on a helicopter but all reviews seem to say it is worth it. I think my SIL and the 17 y/o, Chloe. may be unable to handle the air ride.

Now, we will look at what we can do in Anchorage for a day waiting for our tour to Denali to start. We have decided to go a day early after the stress of of last year's trip, trip delays, getting no sleep and dealing with the loss of luggage.

So glad you have things sorted out.

Perhaps look at the museums in Anchorage to learn a little about native culture and the natural history of the area. Bike along the Tony Knowles trail. Lots to do in the area if you rent a car. Check out http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

We primarily use independent tour operators for the smaller group size. The only time we use cruise line tours is if we have short time in port or are in an area where it is difficult to coordinate with independents. Not sure if we have ever saved much money doing equivalent excursions. Keep in mind that there is lots to do in each port/location at very little cost to $$$$; choose what pleases you not what reviews say MUST be done.

Can't help you with helicopter tours --not my thing I like to be at one with the land....

Edited by Alaskanb