Epic: Bed by balcony or door?

mitsugirly

Do you prefer your bed by the door or balcony?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your bed by the door or balcony?

• No other way but by the balcony!
    • Only the door for me!

I know there are plenty of cruisers out there that swear by getting their bed in a certain spot...especially on the Epic with their "wavy" rooms.

Can you tell me if you like your bed by the door or the balcony and why? I have went back and forth about this and can't really decide and thought maybe others could give me some insight to help me out. :) Maybe it will spark something in me that says "Hey, that makes sense and that's what I want" :D

(Yes, I have stayed in rooms with the beds in both positions, just not in the wavy Epic rooms)

I much, much prefer the bed by the door/closet in a balcony cabin. I like having the stuff like bathroom, closet, bed, etc. all together. That leaves a big, open "living" area made up of the couch, area in front of the couch, and balcony, which flows like one big space. When the bed is by the balcony, it seems to break up this space, making the actual living area of the room seem much smaller. I've had it both ways, and I will always choose the couch by the balcony if I can.

Edited by LrgPizza

I'm going by Breakaway, but I like the bed by the balcony. I can lie in bed at night and look at the stars. I stay in rooms with a standard balcony which is too tiny to get really comfortable on. I like to sit (or lie) in bed with the door open and get those sea breezes while I read.

I like the open area in the middle of the cabin, between the bed and the closet/door. It's a nicer reception area when I have visitors, and gives me lots of room to move around when getting dressed or doing anything else. And it's not like the cabin is big enough that it's too far from the bathroom!

All good points. Keep them coming.

JUST REMEMBER... we are talking about the Epic, which is totally different than the Breakaway or any other balcony cabin located on the other ships. The Epic is a wavy cabin, therefore very different.

Looking at the blueprints of the rooms, since it is wavy, it's not your normal "extra" space located in front of where your couch would be because the room waves in. It appears as though there's the same amount of space between the bed and the wall as there is the couch/bed by the wall. So, you are probably not going to get this little space/area to have an added extra moving area in front of the couch like you normally would. (Which is why I ask this question). :)

DSC02376.jpg

All good points. Keep them coming.

JUST REMEMBER... we are talking about the Epic, which is totally different than the Breakaway or any other balcony cabin located on the other ships. The Epic is a wavy cabin, therefore very different.

Not that different. My post is the same whether we are discussing my cabins on Epic, Getaway, or Escape. I prefer bed by closet for the same reasons.

I know there are plenty of cruisers out there that swear by getting their bed in a certain spot...especially on the Epic with their "wavy" rooms.

Can you tell me if you like your bed by the door or the balcony and why? I have went back and forth about this and can't really decide and thought maybe others could give me some insight to help me out. :) Maybe it will spark something in me that says "Hey, that makes sense and that's what I want" :D

(Yes, I have stayed in rooms with the beds in both positions, just not in the wavy Epic rooms)

We ended up with our bed by the door in our balcony room on the Epic last April. It wasn't ideal;( it felt claustrophobic when you stepped in the room and the foot of the bed is so close to the sink area. We did a cabin crawl in that cruise and viewed a balcony room on same deck but with the bed near the balcony-this made a huge different and we would have preferred that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looks like the bed by the balcony is preferred, so that's what I ended up booking. I can definitely see why it would "seem" like a bigger room walking into a "space" instead of walking into the bed. I have had rooms like this and liked it better too. I just didn't know how it would feel on the Epic since the wavy wall is going to cut into that space no matter what.

I guess having a bed basically in front of the sink wouldn't be ideal for me either. I also liked the comment about having the bed by the balcony to look at the stars. Although, the room I picked is a family balcony and I picked the one with the extended balcony (I believe it's 91 sq ft) and holds 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table. I "think" I read somewhere that it might be covered though, so no starring at the stars from the bed if that's the case. :(

Either way, I'm super excited and thanks for everyone's help. :)

I looks like the bed by the balcony is preferred, so that's what I ended up booking. I can definitely see why it would "seem" like a bigger room walking into a "space" instead of walking into the bed. I have had rooms like this and liked it better too. I just didn't know how it would feel on the Epic since the wavy wall is going to cut into that space no matter what.

Normally I dismiss posts like this as inane, But giving it a bit of thought, We`re going to book a bed-by-balc cabin Thanks for bringing this up!

Normally I dismiss posts like this as inane, But giving it a bit of thought, We`re going to book a bed-by-balc cabin Thanks for bringing this up!

Inane? Why would that be? :confused: I like to hear reasoning behind why people may like one or the other. It helps with my thought process while also "sparking" my thoughts as to why I might or might not like a certain bed configuration. Sometimes by asking a question, such as this, someone may give an opinion that you didn't think of prior and you have an "ah ha" moment that helps make your decision. ;)

Hope you like your bed by the balcony and you are welcome for me bringing it up. I'm super excited about my booking now and hoping that it is exactly what I'm hoping. :D Have an awesome cruise. :)

We had connecting balcony rooms on the Epic. We fought the kids for the room with the bed by the balcony. I think if the room slept 4, the bed was not by the balcony. If the room slept 3, it was. In the room with the bed by the bathroom, once the bunk bed was opened up, you could barely get past it to go out to the balcony (& I am small). I also love cracking the door to hear the ocean sounds & will sacrifice the A/C for it. We were also disappointed that our room steward would not open the dividers between the balconies (I heard it was a safety issue). On the newer ships they will. Enjoy your cruise!

How do you know the bed's location? I just posted that question on here but maybe someone here can answer me. Isn't the bed located where the wave curves away from the room - in other words at the widest part of the room? Someone at NCL today told me it's where the wave curves into the room. Can't be both can it?

I much, much prefer the bed by the door/closet in a balcony cabin. I like having the stuff like bathroom, closet, bed, etc. all together. That leaves a big, open "living" area made up of the couch, area in front of the couch, and balcony, which flows like one big space. When the bed is by the balcony, it seems to break up this space, making the actual living area of the room seem much smaller. I've had it both ways, and I will always choose the couch by the balcony if I can.

I agree, especially about the living room feel of the cabin when the sofa is near the big windows of the balcony.

But it's great that we don't all like the same.

Edited by macandlucy