Barcelona Hotel Pre Cruise

angeleyes27

We wanted to stay at Hotel Jazz in Barcelona for one night pre cruise but it appears that the rate has increased to $287 which is out of our budget. We are most concerned with being in a secure hotel in a safe area. Any similar hotels recommended?

Also how would we get from airport to hotel and then to cruise terminal.

Thank you.

We wanted to stay at Hotel Jazz in Barcelona for one night pre cruise but it appears that the rate has increased to $287 which is out of our budget. We are most concerned with being in a secure hotel in a safe area. Any similar hotels recommended?

Thank you.

We use a taxi to get from the airport to hotel, and hotel to cruise port. I believe it was around 35 to 40 Euros from the airport to Hotel Jazz. There are less expensive ways to get from the airport to Playa Cataluna, like the Aerobus, but we did not want to roll luggage around several blocks.

Edited by clarea

Thank you.

Hi,

We was looking at the Jazz as well and like you said it is really expensive...too much for us. But I have asked for other recommendations but havent had much like with those either. A couple have been fully booked and another was a Hostel...

If I hear anything I will let you know..... just hope we can get something sorted soon.

Brenda

We will be staying at the Margot House. Friends stayed there this past September and really liked it. It is a boutique hotel with a small amount of rooms. They have rooms with windows or without windows (which is what we are taking because of budget). Figure we will only be there for sleep only. They also have free breakfast.

The L'Eixample area was recommended to me by the guy I've been talking with at the tour company I'm using for my Barcelona sightseeing. I found a pretty good deal at the Acts Atrium Palace, but there were several hotels in the area that looked good and were less than Hotel Jazz (that was on my list when he told me to look at the L'Eixample area as "On the outer edge of my budget, but if it's best I can stretch" - he opted for a few of the others I'd listed over HJ). If you do a hotel search on Expedia you can specify the area you want to search. :)

I am also looking for a hotel for 3 days prior to our October cruise. I e-mailed 4 hotels yesterday, got 2 answers. Both were considerably higher than the costs advertised on their websites. Of course, better deals can be had if you take the non-refundable rate, but husband and I are over 65 and not retired yet, so either health or work could necessitate change of plans, so I am not comfortable booking a non-refundable rate. Anyhow, Hotel Granvia is one that I e-mailed that has not answered my querry; I sent a follow-up e-mail today. Their rates are also higher than they were 2 days ago, and it says only 2 rooms left for my dates, and that is our first choice hotel, so hopefully it will come in and be within my budget. I also added Hotel Lleo and e-mailed them today. Their prices are the best of all I e-mailed, though they are a little farther away from where we hope to be (I had hoped to be able to walk to La Sagrada Familia as well as the Old City). Good luck on your search!

I am also looking for a hotel for 3 days prior to our October cruise. I e-mailed 4 hotels yesterday, got 2 answers. Both were considerably higher than the costs advertised on their websites. Of course, better deals can be had if you take the non-refundable rate, but husband and I are over 65 and not retired yet, so either health or work could necessitate change of plans, so I am not comfortable booking a non-refundable rate. Anyhow, Hotel Granvia is one that I e-mailed that has not answered my querry; I sent a follow-up e-mail today. Their rates are also higher than they were 2 days ago, and it says only 2 rooms left for my dates, and that is our first choice hotel, so hopefully it will come in and be within my budget. I also added Hotel Lleo and e-mailed them today. Their prices are the best of all I e-mailed, though they are a little farther away from where we hope to be (I had hoped to be able to walk to La Sagrada Familia as well as the Old City). Good luck on your search!

Sorry to hear that. I heard back almost immediately, considering the time difference. As much as we dislike spending the money, we always purchase travel insurance and if something would happen, it would cover our hotel costs if we were to book a non-refundable rate. Be sure you are looking at the category room you prefer...it is possible that one category has only a couple of rooms left and there may be other categories.

We booked a B and B in the Eixample area Forget Me Not Plus for 130 euro for post cruise in July. Great location and area. They will also arrange for transfers at an additional cost. They also have Forget Me Not a couple of blocks away in the same area. Both well rated.

I did my booking through Expedia - I've used them for stays in London, Dublin, Florence, and Toronto and never had an issue. They usually have an option to either pay in advance (less expensive but also non-refundable) OR pay at the hotel - and when currency changes are involved, expedia will give you the price conversion.

Still better rates at Lleo and great location - at least for my dates!

We stayed there in the fall of 2014 2 nights pre-cruise. The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and the location was excellent. Placa de Catalunya is not far and access to the metro is a block away. Great value, clean and breakfast was included. Would stay at Hotel Lleo again.

Hotel Espana is sold out as well.

You might try:

Hotel Curious

Hotel Cuatro Naciones

Onix Liceo Hotel

Hotel Gaudi

Hotel Ramblas Barcelona

Check our reviews on tripadvisor - not sure what your budget is but I think this are available and somewhat reasonable - good luck :)

I do not think you have mentioned your exact dates, but there is always something going on in Barcelona. The annual Formula 1 race on the 13th to 15th is probably the largest public event that month.

One strategy is to book a rate at a decent hotel that can be cancelled closer in as necessary as some hotels will remove the 2 or 3 night minimum stay closer in to the arrival date.

The Arye Hotel Gran Via is a good one night stay hotel as it is just at the first stop for the A1 or A2 bus from the airport. The location near Plaza Espana in the convention center area allows for a quick taxi down Ave. Parallel to the port or there is even a bus that runs every 5 minutes, the D20 for 2 euro or the T10 card for each passenger. It stops just behind the building where the Blue Port bus to the ships leaves from.

If the Jazz or other property opens up during that time you can just cancel the reservation you are holding.

I use the map function at Kayak dot com to find hotels that are available for my many one night stays in Barcelona.

I do not think you have mentioned your exact dates, but there is always something going on in Barcelona. The annual Formula 1 race on the 13th to 15th is probably the largest public event that month.

One strategy is to book a rate at a decent hotel that can be cancelled closer in as necessary as some hotels will remove the 2 or 3 night minimum stay closer in to the arrival date.

The Arye Hotel Gran Via is a good one night stay hotel as it is just at the first stop for the A1 or A2 bus from the airport. The location near Plaza Espana in the convention center area allows for a quick taxi down Ave. Parallel to the port or there is even a bus that runs every 5 minutes, the D20 for 2 euro or the T10 card for each passenger. It stops just behind the building where the Blue Port bus to the ships leaves from.

If the Jazz or other property opens up during that time you can just cancel the reservation you are holding.

I use the map function at Kayak dot com to find hotels that are available for my many one night stays in Barcelona.

MADflyer, is it practical to use taxis to get around? Friends of ours were in Barcelona in September and they said it was cheap enough and more convenient than taking the bus all of the time.

MADflyer, is it practical to use taxis to get around? Friends of ours were in Barcelona in September and they said it was cheap enough and more convenient than taking the bus all of the time.

Taxis are much more expensive than they used to be, but are still a convenient way to get around Barcelona. When I know the bus routes and if I have purchased a T10 discount card, I often use the bus as they are extremely frequent in Barcelona. As I travel solo often, buses are that much more economical, while for 2 or 3 people taxis become much more of a consideration.

Late night a taxi is often much more secure as it is door to door. For instance, for the hotel I mentioned, the Arye Gran Via, the area is just fine, but sometimes the last block coming to the hotel can feel uncomfortable and I always return by taxi in the late night, while I would not even consider a taxi earlier in the day or evening.

It is sometimes good to make sure the meter is on and then know that all the supplements they can charge are posted in the rear passenger side window (English included)

Taxis are much more expensive than they used to be, but are still a convenient way to get around Barcelona. When I know the bus routes and if I have purchased a T10 discount card, I often use the bus as they are extremely frequent in Barcelona. As I travel solo often, buses are that much more economical, while for 2 or 3 people taxis become much more of a consideration.

Late night a taxi is often much more secure as it is door to door. For instance, for the hotel I mentioned, the Arye Gran Via, the area is just fine, but sometimes the last block coming to the hotel can feel uncomfortable and I always return by taxi in the late night, while I would not even consider a taxi earlier in the day or evening.

It is sometimes good to make sure the meter is on and then know that all the supplements they can charge are posted in the rear passenger side window (English included)

Thank you again! We will be 4 adults, can the taxis accommodate the 4 of us? We are staying at the Margot House located in the heart of Paseo de Gracia, how is this area? Is it worth waiting an hour and fifteen minutes for our friends to arrive at the airport to go to the hotel together or should we meet them there?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by ken_nyc