Santorini Ferry boat to Oia?

PEKnCHUG

You are not likely to find anyone with very recent experience since very few cruise ships go to Santorini in the winter months (much of the island's restaurants and hotels close for the season). While there have been some small boats that previously would take folks between the small port below Fira and Oia, it never really became what one would call a "ferry" service. Whether this will again happen in the next season is a question that one will just have to wait and see. Many ship tours are tendered into a different port (Athinios) where they can directly board tour buses. Those that do not take these tours will be tendered into a small port that sits just below Fira. From that port you can take the cable car, donkeys, or hike up the hill to Fira. While you might find a boat willing to take you over to Oia, we would not recommend basing all your plans on that possibility. We will be back on Santorini in late March (which is still somewhat pre season) and will try and remember to post info as to whether anyone is routinely running boat transfers over to Oia.

Hank

If you could get a boat to Oia, you still have to go up the steep mountain. Have been there before, the cable car is the best way. Mary

I just want to thank those of you who have posted your experiences in Santorini. We have two stops there on our upcoming cruise, and your posts will help us decide how to plan our time there. Thanks again.

We rent a car, lots of fun, very easy driving and inexpensive. We are rentig from Tony's Car rental. Not far from cable car at top. Be sure to go t Santos Winery and also Akaratoris ruins, some say it is the lost city of Atlantis.

We rent a car, lots of fun, very easy driving and inexpensive. We are rentig from Tony's Car rental. Not far from cable car at top. Be sure to go t Santos Winery and also Akaratoris ruins, some say it is the lost city of Atlantis.

Thanks, sounds tempting - will give that some thought. Decisions, decisions! :)

I Haven't read all the responses so not sure if I'm writing what has been covered but I done this trip last week so thought I would share.

Ferry boat to OIA costs €15 or €20 if you want the cable car included.

I rushed off the ship to get around to OIA ASAP but they don't leave until their boat is fullish therefore waited about 30 minutes in the port.

The bus from OIA to Fira runs at 11:00/12:00/13:00 and last bus at 14:00 from where they drop you off after the bus from the port.

Highly recommend OIA, great views. We left Fira and down the cable car around 2ish and there wasn't much of a queue. Apparently 4pm was a different story. All aboard was at 5:30pm

Any questions then please feel free to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The bus from OIA to Fira runs at 11:00/12:00/13:00 and last bus at 14:00 from where they drop you off after the bus from the port.

Can anyone confirm whether this is always the case? We are in Santorini from 1:00 - 8:00 pm. The last return bus to Fira at 2:00 pm would not be good!

• 2 weeks later...
If you could get a boat to Oia, you still have to go up the steep mountain. Have been there before, the cable car is the best way. Mary

Not true,the bus from Oia port to Oia town Centre is included in the ticket...it's a five minute ride and not overly steep.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello -

We will be on the Celebrity Reflection at the end of July. I found this thread quite informative as to various transport options in Santorini. I have another thought/question that I didn't see covered in this thread or elsewhere. We plan to explore Santorini on our own and not do any ship excursion.

For the return back to the ship...is it 'possible' to take a bus/taxi from Fira to the 'ship excursion tender port' - and than take that tender back to the ship? I am wondering if they would allow passengers to board this tender even if they weren't a part of the ship excursion. We just wanted to know if this is even an option in case the cable car lines are too long (and my family isn't interested in walking down the donkey path).

Thank you.

-T

• 2 weeks later...
Hello -

We will be on the Celebrity Reflection at the end of July. I found this thread quite informative as to various transport options in Santorini. I have another thought/question that I didn't see covered in this thread or elsewhere. We plan to explore Santorini on our own and not do any ship excursion.

For the return back to the ship...is it 'possible' to take a bus/taxi from Fira to the 'ship excursion tender port' - and than take that tender back to the ship? I am wondering if they would allow passengers to board this tender even if they weren't a part of the ship excursion. We just wanted to know if this is even an option in case the cable car lines are too long (and my family isn't interested in walking down the donkey path).

Thank you.

-T

The ship bus shore excursions leave via new port but return via Fira

cable car (old port) with everyone else....your choice is cable car,donkey,or walk down.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I just read this entire thread through and this port stop by far seems the most daunting to me but it seems easy enough to manage.

Those pictures were great and I was planning to do the walk, but I think I'll be taking the $20 ferry and bus to Oia and Fira. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is which city is the port actually in? And if it's not in either city, do you get to Oia before Fira? Is there any benefit in going straight to Fira, then working my way back to Oia and then back to the ship? Thank goodness my cruise is still a few weeks away! :)

Here's a good link

http://www.santorini.us/santoriniport.htm

The cruise ships all dock in the Old Port just below the cliffs of Fira. It's a tender port and you take the Sky Buckets up or ride the donkeys (watch what you step on). You can catch the bus to Oia. We took the ship's excursion to Oia and left the excursion once we got there. Spent the day and what a great day it was!

Just to clarify why we took the excursion and spent $$ ($30 or so). This is a tender port and there were 4 ships inport. The excursions are all tendered off first and taken to buses waiting at a small commercial port. The passengers on the DIY route waited in long lines to board a tender and then on more long long lines to board the sky buckets, donkeys or took the long trek up the steps covered in donkey poop!

While we beat all the crowds to Oia and had coffee and rolls while all the ships passengers still waited to get up the cliffs to Fira.

This was our experience and yours of course may be different.

Here's a good link

http://www.santorini.us/santoriniport.htm

The cruise ships all dock in the Old Port just below the cliffs of Fira. It's a tender port and you take the Sky Buckets up or ride the donkeys (watch what you step on). You can catch the bus to Oia. We took the ship's excursion to Oia and left the excursion once we got there. Spent the day and what a great day it was!

Thank you for this great link!

thank you for sharing! I was just curious if you bought the ferry tickets in advance or did you buy it after you tendered?

I Haven't read all the responses so not sure if I'm writing what has been covered but I done this trip last week so thought I would share.

Ferry boat to OIA costs €15 or €20 if you want the cable car included.

I rushed off the ship to get around to OIA ASAP but they don't leave until their boat is fullish therefore waited about 30 minutes in the port.

Highly recommend OIA, great views. We left Fira and down the cable car around 2ish and there wasn't much of a queue. Apparently 4pm was a different story. All aboard was at 5:30pm

Any questions then please feel free to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thank you for sharing! I was just curious if you bought the ferry tickets in advance or did you buy it after you tendered?

You cannot buy them in advance, only once tendered. Be aware that there are several speed boat operators, all the same price. Best to buy from the vendor whose boat is docked and preferably almost full. Do not buy from a vendor whose ship is not there as you will be waiting a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...