FYI vandals targeting cars at hotels

dontpanik

This is in Brevard county (my home) where Port Canaveral is located:

Vandals targeted cars at several Brevard County hotels, causing thousands of dollars’ worth of damage, authorities said.

Deputies are still trying to determine how many cars were burglarized, but said at least 25 cars were damaged.

One of the hotel managers said it appeared that the thieves were using handheld glass breakers.

Deputies said owners woke up Thursday to find their cars and SUVs searched, their belongings strewn across the parking lot and their valuables missing.

“What are you (going to) do?” victim Dorene Ford said. “You can’t get upset about it. They’ll do their best to find out who did it and hopefully they’ll do some time.”

Window repairmen were on the scene to help replace the victims' windows.

(http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/cars-several-brevard-county-hotels-robbed-vandaliz/np84M/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Just be sure to not leave any valuables in your cars when your parked at a hotel. Take your belongings inside with you!

This is in Brevard county (my home) where Port Canaveral is located:

Vandals targeted cars at several Brevard County hotels, causing thousands of dollars’ worth of damage, authorities said.

Deputies are still trying to determine how many cars were burglarized, but said at least 25 cars were damaged.

One of the hotel managers said it appeared that the thieves were using handheld glass breakers.

Deputies said owners woke up Thursday to find their cars and SUVs searched, their belongings strewn across the parking lot and their valuables missing.

“What are you (going to) do?” victim Dorene Ford said. “You can’t get upset about it. They’ll do their best to find out who did it and hopefully they’ll do some time.”

Window repairmen were on the scene to help replace the victims' windows.

(http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/cars-several-brevard-county-hotels-robbed-vandaliz/np84M/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Just be sure to not leave any valuables in your cars when your parked at a hotel. Take your belongings inside with you!

Maybe the window repairmen did it!

We stayed at I think a hotel on the way down in Fort Pierce or Port. St. Lucie a few years ago and there were 3 signs at the check in desk saying they were not responsible for items in cars. There were a couple more on way to elevator, and on floor as you walked to room. There were more by back door and in lot. It was rather unnerving. It was a Fairfield or Springhill Suites.

I guess this is a problem. I know we don't haul all our luggage in for the night.

We always take all luggage in from the car. I grew up in the city, and although live in the suburbs now we still get reports in the police blotter about car break ins. Plus, when traveling I'm not familiar with the area. How am I to know if the parking lot is safe storage for my possessions? It's just common sense to protect yourself and your things in unfamiliar territory.

This isn't exclusive to hotel parking lots. At least once or twice month, the local news will have a story about cars in a particular part of town being broken into, right in front of peoples' homes. Why make yourself a potential target? If your vehicle doesn't have a trunk where you can lock things up, don't leave ANYTHING in your vehicle, not even loose change in the console.