Okay, who can give me a simple explanation of Uber?

Bruin Steve

Uber is illegal in Australia

Completely untrue!! Friends used them recently in SYD and MEL. Uber is prohibited in 1 or 2 states and regulated in others, but that's different than "illegal".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Uber%27s_service#Australia

Perhaps you can explain your comment further?

Edited by kenish

How is it helpful to mention where it is illegal when it is perfectly legal here in California where the question was asked???

I don't use it since I don't have a smart phone and also don't want to have my credit card on file with them but many folks use it here on a regular basis!

Okay, since Steve asked this question it has made me bolder to discuss with others (because now I'm not the only stupid question).

So at Best Buy and the guy says I'm a Uber driver. So we talk about the Uber experience. I ask some questions. Now, I haven't, at this point, signed up for Uber but it is clear that if I want specific answers that is what I need to do.

Then my brother says he loves the app and uses Uber often.

This is what I've come up with: short trips really work in the favor of riders. You can easily find drivers in your area and often within minutes often within minutes of the request. For a short trip, the price is reasonable. In my case my rides checked would be less than 3 minutes for a price of $4-6. My brother has found long distances didn't price out as well.

NOW I need a vehicle that holds a scooter and wheelchair. So, using Uber's website you can select a mini van OR a handicap vehicle. The HC are in a smaller minority. The mini van/SVU are easily there. So, what is the difference? Can you reserve the "HC" vehicle in advance? These are questions I'm working on right now.

Even though this is NOT what OP asked, I'll get back to you when I have some answers.

Edited by notentirelynormal