Carnival's Upgrade Sale

Tasha4199

Hi everyone! I have a question. I am booked on the Fantasy leaving 11/27, on the Verandah deck, inside room. Carnival is having the free upgrade sale today, so someone could book today and get the same category I have for $60 less per person. I called Carnival and she told me the best they could do for me is "upgrade" me to an oceanview room on the Riviera, which even at full price is $349, and I paid $369. So they consider keeping $20pp of my money for a cheaper room an upgrade? I'm just curious if anyone has gotten anything from Carnival when they have a sale after you book. Oh, and I did book directly through Carival, not a TA. Thank you!

~Tasha~

I do believe that most of Carnival's promotions state that they are for new bookings only. If you have been offered a free upgrade from inside to oceanview, that sounds pretty good. Grab it and enjoy your cruise!

Well, the only problem with that is I have family booked across the hall on the verandah, and I paid more for that level because I like being higher up on the boat. And the oceanview isn't actually an upgrade, because I could have booked that at the beginning and saved myself $20pp. Thank you for taking the time to respond though. I appreciate it. :)

~Tasha~

Hi everyone! I have a question. I am booked on the Fantasy leaving 11/27, on the Verandah deck, inside room. Carnival is having the free upgrade sale today, so someone could book today and get the same category I have for $60 less per person. I called Carnival and she told me the best they could do for me is "upgrade" me to an oceanview room on the Riviera, which even at full price is $349, and I paid $369. So they consider keeping $20pp of my money for a cheaper room an upgrade? I'm just curious if anyone has gotten anything from Carnival when they have a sale after you book. Oh, and I did book directly through Carival, not a TA. Thank you!

~Tasha~

If you have paid final payment you're lucky they offered anything at all. As stated by YogiMax these sales are usually for new bookings only. You probably could have saved more initially by booking with a travel agent.

I still wish you luck getting your cabins upgraded. Even if you don't get upgraded have a great cruise! :)

Bill

Hi Bill,

Actually, Carnival has stopped TAs from discounting. So has Royal Caribbean.

Bill

Not true. From what I understand TA's can not advertise lower prices then Carnival, But they sure can sell at lower prices than Carnival. My upcoming cruise was booked through a TA and I saved a couple hundred dollars.

Laura

Hi Bill,

Actually, Carnival has stopped TAs from discounting. So has Royal Caribbean.

Bill

Laura is right. Carnival does not allow advertising of lower rates but you can email or call any travel agent for lower prices. I have a Carnival cruise booked for next summer and I paid less then what Carnival is charging.

On the other hand you are definitely correct about Royal Caribbean. :)

Bill

This is a different question, but also has to do with upgrades. If you book a quarantee and then 2 months before cruise you are assigned a cabin which would be an upgrade to the Lido deck, 4F I think. You decide you want an ocean view cabin, so do you pay the difference from the initial Guarantee rate or the difference from the CAT you were assigned in? I have a co worker who thinks you pay the rate from the CAT you are assigned, I say no you pay the difference from what you initially paid. There is a lunch riding on this, so who is right?

I called Carnival yesterday and put a deposit down for the Valor, July 9, 2006. Of course its not written in stone til next year, and Im still shopping. I do like a verandah on a higher deck.

This is how they put it to me. I booked a cat 8A and got upgraded to Cat 8F.

That put me on the Lido deck. I have my room assigned already.

so you get upgraded within your category. I tried to book an oceanview and get upgraded to verandah, but it doesnt work like that.

If I took a gaurantee it would have saved me $50. pp and there is 3 of us. Id rather have an assigned cabin.

Not sure if this is a great upgrade or savings, as Im still shopping around. All I know is that the prices have gone up considerably on everything.

This is a different question, but also has to do with upgrades. If you book a quarantee and then 2 months before cruise you are assigned a cabin which would be an upgrade to the Lido deck, 4F I think. You decide you want an ocean view cabin, so do you pay the difference from the initial Guarantee rate or the difference from the CAT you were assigned in? I have a co worker who thinks you pay the rate from the CAT you are assigned, I say no you pay the difference from what you initially paid. There is a lunch riding on this, so who is right?

I believe you pay from the category you were originally booked in, not what you were upgraded to. :)

Bill

LoveJake,

On NCL, it is from the Cat you initially paid. I know I just went through that. I booked a Cat-M and got upgraded to a Cat-II. I ended up have to pay $600 to upsell to a balcony. Had I booked at the Cat-II rate, it would have only cost $250 for the upsell.

Dave

So I'm not the only one they told TS on the $60 drop? They also offered us an upgrade we passed because we like the cabin we have. Empress deck no public areas above or below us.

good choice on staying put. I usually book a specific cabin and make sure there are no public areas either above or below my cabin. So far so good with my cabin selections.

Starz,

What are you confused about??

Bill

Bill:

confused about all this upsell talk..Im so ignorant.

Im still wondering if what I got was a decent upgrade. Im not a seasoned cruiser like alot of my associates here. I just started cruising, and this is my 3rd cruise.

So I started out with a regular balc and got upgraded 4 categories. Im assuming thats a decent upgrade

Id better start calling TA to find out.

Bill:

confused about all this upsell talk..Im so ignorant.

Im still wondering if what I got was a decent upgrade. Im not a seasoned cruiser like alot of my associates here. I just started cruising, and this is my 3rd cruise.

So I started out with a regular balc and got upgraded 4 categories. Im assuming thats a decent upgrade

Id better start calling TA to find out.

I think you did fine. I believe you booked under the one day upgrade sale. With that promotion you can't get upgraded to say a balcony cabin if you booked an oceanview cabin. You pick the category you want and book the cheapest cabin in that category and they upgrade you to the most expensive in that category. So if you book a 6A outside cabin they will upgrade you to a 6E or whatever the highest cabin is in the same category.

What CCL told you was correct. I booked the Destiny next summer under the same special earlier in the year. Saved about $80pp.

Most cabins are the same anyway except for maybe the aft cabins just on different decks. I still don't understand myself after all these years why it cost more the higher up you go.

Bill

Bill

Starz723

Upgrade- when a cruiseline moves you to a higher Cat cabin without charging you. This maybe automatic or upon request.

Upsell- When you contact the cruiseline to request a move to a higher Cat cabin and you are charged for the move.

Hopefully this helps

Dave

Archived