Paying account on carnival in cash

gogo65

Hi everyone,

My daughter is leaving on carnival legend on Wednesday for a 10 night cruise. She does not have a credit card so has elected to pay cash for her account.

Can anyone tell me if she has to actually put cash down on her account, or can she use her debit card to put initial money on her account and then top up throughout the cruise.

She just isn't keen to walk on the ship with $1000 in cash, and I'm not keen on her paying what I assume are outrageous ATM fees withdrawing money on board.

Anyone have experience?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My daughter is leaving on carnival legend on Wednesday for a 10 night cruise. She does not have a credit card so has elected to pay cash for her account.

Can anyone tell me if she has to actually put cash down on her account, or can she use her debit card to put initial money on her account and then top up throughout the cruise.

She just isn't keen to walk on the ship with $1000 in cash, and I'm not keen on her paying what I assume are outrageous ATM fees withdrawing money on board.

Anyone have experience?

Thanks

it would be better off to put down cash even $500 and if need be she could use the ATM to take out any extra

if she uses her debit card they will put a hold on the account and it can take up to 30 days to release the card from any holds depending on her bank

We always just put cash on the account when we get our sail & sign cards, they will ask how much cash you would like to put on your account (this is before you get on the ship) and any credit left on your account can be withdrawn on the last night or morning.

When you check-in online just set it up as a cash account.

Edited by lagoon380

Paying with Cash Is Easy and a sensible way to keep track of spending.

No holds on CC, no stupid ATM fees and no surprises at all

I always walk up and pay 500$ up front with another 500$ tucked away safely in with my iPad (can be kept safe in the inform Safe)

You can monitor spending on your inroom TV / at sail & sign ATMS. if she runs out she can easily deposit again at either the atm or the customer service desk.

I have never felt unsafe carrying that kinda cash at the cruise terminal or on board.

Maybe she could use a combination of debit card and cash. We have done this in the past. Register the debit card at check in, then when she boards she should put cash down on her account. Additional cash can be kept in the safe in her room and during the cruise she can put more cash on her account. Any tiny bit at the end would go against her debit card.

I realise that by using this method she would have to take cash with her, but it is quite safe. :)

thanks for all the answers everyone.

It looks like cash is the way to go, I was hoping she could just withdraw at guest services using her atm card but agree if they are going to put a hold on her card, then maybe that is not the best option.

As a 20 year old I don't think she has ever had a significant amount of money on her, which is why she was concerned. Agree that it would be quiet safe, she is being dropped off at the terminal, so not a lot of opportunity to lose it :rolleyes:

We have encouraged our kids not to get credit cards but times like this it certainly makes life easier.

thanks for all the answers everyone.

It looks like cash is the way to go, I was hoping she could just withdraw at guest services using her atm card but agree if they are going to put a hold on her card, then maybe that is not the best option.

As a 20 year old I don't think she has ever had a significant amount of money on her, which is why she was concerned. Agree that it would be quiet safe, she is being dropped off at the terminal, so not a lot of opportunity to lose it :rolleyes:

We have encouraged our kids not to get credit cards but times like this it certainly makes life easier.

I agree with you. We encouraged kids not to get credit cards when they were young. It is a trap a lot of young people fall into.