Emerald Lake??

txwriter

So, I'm trying to decide if the long day trip out to Emerald Lake is worth it for us. Based on the pictures of the train seats, I cannot see us taking the train. They look like they would cause a problem for my mother's back, so it would be the bus both ways for us. Though the trip is long, it would be doable since there are several stops along the way.

However, since there are things in and around town we'd like to see, I'm trying to decide to just sticking closer to Skagway or going to Emerald Lake. The pictures look beautiful, but all of the pictures from Alaska trips look beautiful to me.:)

In many pictures, I see where the bus has stopped for bears, but I never see mention of what time of year this is happening. Is this a random occurrence that is just as likely one time of year as the other, or is there a time of year when it is more common? One thing I read did mention something about late spring and early fall.

We'll be there May 30, 2017 if that helps. I'm not changing my dates to get better bear viewing dates, and I'm not interested in fly-in bear viewings. I'm just wondering about seeing them on this specific trip by chance. Thanks.

So, I'm trying to decide if the long day trip out to Emerald Lake is worth it for us. Based on the pictures of the train seats, I cannot see us taking the train. They look like they would cause a problem for my mother's back, so it would be the bus both ways for us. Though the trip is long, it would be doable since there are several stops along the way.

However, since there are things in and around town we'd like to see, I'm trying to decide to just sticking closer to Skagway or going to Emerald Lake. The pictures look beautiful, but all of the pictures from Alaska trips look beautiful to me.:)

In many pictures, I see where the bus has stopped for bears, but I never see mention of what time of year this is happening. Is this a random occurrence that is just as likely one time of year as the other, or is there a time of year when it is more common? One thing I read did mention something about late spring and early fall.

We'll be there May 30, 2017 if that helps. I'm not changing my dates to get better bear viewing dates, and I'm not interested in fly-in bear viewings. I'm just wondering about seeing them on this specific trip by chance. Thanks.

No there is nothing "specific" about bear viewing- pure chance. You may, or may not see bears, is the simple answer. :)

Are you open to renting a car? In your case, there are many advantages to consider this.

IF you get bored, just turn back. :) Emerald Lake is 75 miles from Skagway. With frequent stops- have "Murray's Guide" with you, you aren't locked into the tour stops. With your mother's back issues, would be ideal for a break when needed, and likely more comfortable. Opens up Skagway stops as well, nice scenic overlook on the Dyea Highway, detour to the Gold Rush Cemetery. Even a stop along Alaska- can offer you a look at planes landing and taking off. :) etc.

Are you open to renting a car? In your case, there are many advantages to consider this.

I've considered renting a car, but I wasn't sure if I would be worth it. It looks like Skagway would be easy to get around on the public bus. Would renting a car improve our ability to see things in town, or would it best only if going out of town? To be honest, I will be driving much more than usual on our pre-cruise land tour, and I would like a break from driving so I can just enjoy the scenery. However, I'm flexible to the idea of renting a car if it would help even if we choose to mainly stay in and around town.

The gold rush cemetery would probably be something she'd really enjoy as well. Is it accessible by city bus? I know we could get a tour that would include it, but it might be better if she could really go at her own pace here. She loves to soak in details.

Sometimes there are advantages to having a tour guide because they can tell you all of the information, and you can just look. The disadvantage to me is often the pace. I am considering booking with Dyea Dave, I have had excellent communication with them, and they seem a little more flexible to our needs than Chilkoot. Dyea Dave does offer a town only tour. Does anyone have feedback on that?

I know no one believes you when you say it will probably be the only time we get to Alaska, but due to Mom getting older, it actually probably will be the only trip for just the two of us, and I want it to be special.

Thanks for all the help!:)

Downtown is only a few square blocks. The town web site has a map and walking tour. It also has info on the bus route and schedule.

http://skagway.com/walking-tour-and-trail-maps/walking-tour-map/

The Cemetary is a fun and interesting stop and if you do the ranger led tour first it will add more history and interest. I'd say it's a little over a mile each way to walk from downtown to the cemetery.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/index.htm

There's a path at the edge of the cemetery that leads to the falls.

I think the car would be an excellent choice for you and your mother. It's not like you're barreling down the freeway at 70mph with quick glances at scenery. You can drive at your own pace and pull over whenever you want. You can swing by the Cemetary on the way out of town.

I know Skagway is small, but is there any parking if we rent a car?

We'd want to do some walking but have the car if we needed it, and we'd definitely need it to go to the gold rush cemetery if it's a mile walking trip (too far for mom).

Thanks again for the input.

I know Skagway is small, but is there any parking if we rent a car?

We'd want to do some walking but have the car if we needed it, and we'd definitely need it to go to the gold rush cemetery if it's a mile walking trip (too far for mom).

Thanks again for the input.

Yes there is plenty of parking. Are you someone who dreads driving? (only a question) It may well be, you don't like driving? There are all kinds of people. Me, I have to go somewhere- I get in the car and go. No other thought to it.

I do find, however- people have some very wrong assumptions about driving in Alaska/Yukon and get the "miss the scenery" etc thinking frequently. You are going to find, the driver, gets fantastic views, everything just lays out in front of you, wide open expanses. IF something really catches your eye, just take advantage of a pull off. There aren't any bill boards, rows of lodging with neon signs, even buildings- NOTHING. It isn't 75mph multi lane freeway driving. It's a 2 lane road, 45mph ave, maybe. You wave at strangers going by, when you've stopped. A whole different world- is Alaska and the Yukon.

Dyea Dave is very accommodating and you would be sure to have a great time with him. Certainly are advantages to guided service. Think about your options and talk it over with your mother. You're certain to have a great adventure, what ever you choose. :)

It isn't 75mph multi lane freeway driving. It's a 2 lane road, 45mph ave, maybe. You wave at strangers going by, when you've stopped. A whole different world- is Alaska and the Yukon.

AS BQ says the driving couldn't be easier. No traffic and as she says about 45pmh most times, you are just slowly cruising watching the sights. The car gives you the ability to pull over any time you want. Last year just outside Skagway about 8:15am I saw a bear by the side of the road. With no traffic in either direction I just stopped in the road and watched him for 5-10 minutes just across one lane of road. He finally walked in front of the car and down the hillside.

Emerald Lake can be very pretty but is really just a very short visit, it is more just a convenient turnaround point. Carcross finally has a few small shops and restaurants and now offers a nice stop for lunch. I've done both the train and rent a car numerous times and both are well worth doing. Enjoy

Are you someone who dreads driving? (only a question) It may well be, you don't like driving?

This is it exactly! Driving is not my favorite thing to do, and I generally have enjoyed my vacations where I minimize driving the most. As I said, I'll have 9 or 10 days of driving before the cruise, and that seems more than enough for me. (My dislike of driving had me considering a cruisetour at first, but the tours just weren't flexible enough for us. We like a little bit of "What do you feel like doing today?" in our vacationing with a few planned things thrown in).

I've decided to book with Dyea Dave. There was a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of all the options, but Mom really wanted to go into the Yukon, and she prefers having a tour operator or driver who is a valuable resource for information.

I considered Chilkoot but found Dyea Dave much more accommodating for what we wanted (especially after deciding not to do the train).

Thanks to all for the valuable feedback.:)

Hi TXwriter,

Just another option for a tour bus operator. I have used Chilkoot Charter and Tours in 2013(Benenett scenic journey rail/bus) and 2015 (Yukon Adventure bus only). They are a very well run company.

I did the Yukon Adventure by bus last year. Our guide Alyssa was excellent. It is a 6.5 hour tour. The buses that they use are smaller than what the cruise line tour operators use for their tours.

Emerald Lake was neat to see. It is a quick stop for a photo opportunity. I think our stop was around five to ten minutes. It was enough time for everyone to take pictures and look around before getting back into the bus.

Do you think your mom would enjoy a 6.5 hour tour? I took my mom on the trip to Alaska. She is 76. She enjoyed the scenery. How long is your ship docked in Skagway? I think our ship was in port from 7AM to 8PM. If we didn't do a long tour I think I might have been bored with the town of Skagway.

With our tour we still had plenty of time to wonder around the city and see sites and shop before boarding the ship.

Enjoy your trip!

Dear world traveler,

I don't think my mom could get bored in Skagway. I read they had a bookstore there that had lots of books on Alaska and the Yukon. She's the kind of person who could spend several hours there easily. Mom and I are both very contented just to be somewhere and soak it up. We don't need to be doing something different constantly. Since there will probably be several ships in that day, it could be fun just to people watch. However, this is a bucket list trip for Mom and seeing the Yukon and learning about the gold rush are top priorities, so we will venture out of town for a few hours.

My only concern about taking her into the Yukon was the amount of driving/riding for the day. She sometimes gets "stove up" if she sits too long. It's why we strongly considered a rental car, but we felt there is more value in a guided tour with someone who knows the area Leading the tour. Dyea Dave tours were able to answer all of my many questions and seem much more flexible to our needs which is why I chose them over Chilkoot (who I am certain is an excellent company with great tours as well). Skagway will be a long day for us, but we have a much less strenuous day planned for Juneau, so I'm sure it will work out fine.

I have a long time before we leave to plan. I guess I'm a little weird because I like getting as much done ahead as possible (at least the grunt work of research and decision making). That said, I can always change my mind if necessary. Thanks for the input.

Dear world traveler,

I don't think my mom could get bored in Skagway. I read they had a bookstore there that had lots of books on Alaska and the Yukon. She's the kind of person who could spend several hours there easily.

There is a small bookstore on the main street in Skagway but the most important word is small. It does have mostly books on Alaska but they is no place to sit down and the aisles are small. Not really the place to browse for long.

I'd also recommend that you take a bus tour up to Carcross. The scenery is beautiful and I don't think Mom would get bored. Renting a car is a great option as you can go at your own pace, if she gets tired just turn around. Skagway is really just one street so you should be able to easily see all of it in a couple of hours at most. One thing I like is there are lots of benches and places to sit and rest along the main street storefront area. Lots of husbands sitting outside while the wives spend their money :)

Just a quick update re. Our town.

There is a new bookstore opposite the NPS at 2nd & Broadway.

If you are really into the history of Skagway, the library has a very comprehensive collection which is in its own area of the library and is only one block over from the tourist strip so there will be plenty of seating and no crowds to contend with.

Just ask any local where to find the library and we might drop you off there!

Thank you all who visit us!

DD

Just a quick update re. Our town.

There is a new bookstore opposite the NPS at 2nd & Broadway.

If you are really into the history of Skagway, the library has a very comprehensive collection which is in its own area of the library and is only one block over from the tourist strip so there will be plenty of seating and no crowds to contend with.

Just ask any local where to find the library and we might drop you off there!

Thank you all who visit us!

DD

Thank you for the update. It sounds wonderful. We love libraries!:D