Baltics or British Isles - Opinions Needed Please

mickeysgal

I did 3 days overnight in St Petersburg. The middle day we went to Moscow. The whole 3 days was exceptional. Totally amazing. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

The only drawback to this particular itinerary was that even though the ship in in St. Petersburg for the three days, that middle day is a Thursday...which means Kremlin closed and this, to me, was a highlight of making that long trip to Moscow. So, I think we are going to save the money and not do Moscow and instead focus all three days in SP.

We have been on both itinerary's several times. Both are top choices, and we will do both again. If you haven't been to any of the areas then, then I'd suggest the Baltic. Private tours by SPB is great. Victoria is excellent and met her husband in Berlin.

As others suggested, place the British isles on your to do list next.

We have done 12 cruises and the Baltics was the best for me. If I went again, I'd love to have 3 days in St. P. I have to agree that I would do the Baltics now while you still can. We are so glad we went to Istanbul and the rest of Turkey and the Adriatic a few years ago. Britain will always be available. Also, you could easily do a land trip in Britain. By the way, the UK was my 2nd favorite. We did it two times to go to some different ports.

We've done three Baltics cruises, one British Isles (also an Iceland cruise that made some stops in the region and a few others that touched on some of the same ports)...We've also toured Britain several times by car--many of those being on pre- or post-cruise trips when cruising in or out of Dover or Southampton...we've driven all the way out to Inverness...to Land's End...to Canterbury...spending time in England, Scotland and Wales...

I am actually considering another British Isles cruise for 2017...but really mostly to revisit the Ireland ports...But, absent any other info about you--your interests, where you've been before, etc--I would say, hands down, keep that Baltic cruise...

Firstly, as I have done, travelling around the British Isles by car is EASY...Distances are relatively short, roads are good (Except Cornwall--Don't ask!)...You speak the language (almost)...Anytime you cruise out of Dover or Southampton, I would suggest adding a few days pre-cruise...and...by rental car or by train or bus, go to a different region each visit--or spend several days and travel throughout...

The ports you visit on the Baltic cruise are all a little harder to get to without the ship...many require long ferry rides or plane rides...

Also, you will find the Baltic cruise ports a little more varied in terms of culture, history, etc. St. Petersburg, obviously, has a LOT to see...and a lot of incredible history...Gdansk and Tallinn are surprisingly charming...Copenhagen and Stockholm are wonderful cities to visit...If your itinerary includes Bruges, know that it is one of the most charming little cities in the world....

If you want to do a really special trip, combine a little Britain with your Baltic cruise as a pre-cruise/post cruise...For example, if you go in and out of Dover, fly in a few days prior and head over to Canterbury for that time before heading to the port...then, after the cruise, spend a couple of days in London...Or, if your cruise goes from Southampton, head out to Cornwall for a few days...Or up to Bath and Cardiff...

Come back another time and book a week in Ireland to do it more justice...

Good luck...

I did 3 days overnight in St Petersburg. The middle day we went to Moscow. The whole 3 days was exceptional. Totally amazing. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Would be most keen on your further advice about those tours. I have a two night stay in St Petersburg on Azamara Journey in August 2017 and was looking at doing just that- with a middle day trip to Moscow (it's a Wednesday so won't have the dreaded Thursday Kremlin closure issue that people have mentioned)... seems a shame not to see Moscow when you're that "close". Can I ask: Did you book the three day package with one company or as separate tours? I was looking at using one of the companies like SPB Travel. It would be great to hear your experience (and also great to hear people raving about the Baltic itineraries- can't wait). Many thanks, Calum

Edited by newbie2013
Typo

Having been to Ireland 10 times (my mother was Irish born and reared), and England 5 times, I tell anyone who asks my opinion that cruising is not the best way to see either country. You want to get your full breakfast each morning and get in your rental car and drive. Pick roads that aren't even on the map. That's the best. I've been lost many times and found spots I wouldn't have if I'd been on some tour. Admittedly, having family in both places and having it be so much a part of my life, I am terribly biased. So, I would definitely pick the Baltics cruise, which I want to do someday.

We had a wonderful British Isles cruise on Infinity in May 2013. We did a three day driving tour to see Stonehenge, Windsor, Avebury and Salisbury.

Next year, we are planning a four week driving tour in England and Wales to visit key places (not London) as well as places that DW and my ancestors came from.

Eventually, we will do another four week drive tour in Scotland and Ireland, since I have ancestors from there as well.

Planning our trip will be more complicated, since timing our driving (I have been advised to plan on taking more time between cities).

Last but not least we take a transatlantic back to the US in late October.

I would agree with others that the Baltic cruise is the way to go. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise we did with our children and grandchildren in 2014. Britain, in my opinion, is better seen on a land tour. Having spent the first half of my life there I may be prejudiced, but there is so much more to see than can be covered in day trips from cruise ports. We go over at least once a year, because we have family there, but try to include a short visit to a place we haven't been before. I still haven't visited the plague village in Derbyshire, or Land's End, just to mention two places on my list.

Driving is not too scary, although the motorways can get very congested and roundabouts are a challenge to begin with.

Sheila

I agree that the best way to see the British Isles is on a land trip, there is lots more to Scotland than Glasgow or Edinburgh, I loved our Baltic trip on Silhouette last year. St Petersburg was fantastic but the other ports were great also particularly the sail into Stockholm. I would go for the Baltic Cruise.

We did the Baltics 2 years ago and it was great - picking quality tours is important. Looking to sail Ireland and Scotland in 2017 but the selection is much more limited. Waiting for RCCL to release their sailings, maybe next month

I agree that the best way to see the British Isles is on a land trip, there is lots more to Scotland than Glasgow or Edinburgh, I loved our Baltic trip on Silhouette last year. St Petersburg was fantastic but the other ports were great also particularly the sail into Stockholm. I would go for the Baltic Cruise.

This is pretty much how I feel about all the countries we see on a cruise. Far more to see than the day stop in port. The cruise is a sampler for us at best...a way to determine where our next land trip will be. Italy is a great example of this. No way can you cover all there is to experience and see in Florence and Rome, but you go on a cruise to get a taste, then go back for more in-depth trip. Loved our Med. cruises, wouldn't change them for the world, but also loved our land trips there too.