Just boarded the Reflection!

jenniebnyc

Hi! Thanks for posting. I'll be on the Reflection in March (can't wait)! I've read a couple of posts here indicating that the new wifi on Reflection does not work with older iphones and Ipads. Lamentably, I have both (iphone 4s and an original ipad) . . . do I have any hope that they will work?

Thank you for any info!

Love your photos- they seem unusually good- are you using something other than a cellphone?

In our experience, the best desserts are at Cafe Bacio-especially the cakes- sometimes bring them back to our room and keep in the refrigerator until ready to eat.

I wonder how rough the ferry will be over to St Barths- could be a wild ride!

I know it may seem an odd method with the poached eggs but it appears that many restaurants prepare their poached eggs in this manner. I have a book by a Michelin starred chef, Marcus Wareing, and in it he teaches this method of pre cooking and then reheating as something he was taught at the Savoy hotel.:)

Very standard process, especially in busy restaurants. Brunches would be at a standstill if they didn't have dozens of pre-poached eggs on hand. Often they poach them and keep them in a warmer for when they need it.

I am surprised people are so surprised when they find out that many of the menus items are pre-prepared. A classic example is risotto....rs rely is risotto prepared to order as it takes so long to make it. Pre-prepared and finished as it is ordered. That is the way restaurants work.

After 20+ cruises I am so over cruise ship "entertainment". We still take a peek if it sounds interesting but we walk out more than half the time. We will be on the Reflection for the transatlantic in April and I can only imagine what they will do for 8 sea days! I'm not worried, plenty of other things to keep me busy. Thanks for your great review!

Very standard process, especially in busy restaurants. Brunches would be at a standstill if they didn't have dozens of pre-poached eggs on hand. Often they poach them and keep them in a warmer for when they need it.

I am surprised people are so surprised when they find out that many of the menus items are pre-prepared. A classic example is risotto....rs rely is risotto prepared to order as it takes so long to make it. Pre-prepared and finished as it is ordered. That is the way restaurants work.

Back about 8 years ago I took a lesson on how to make poached eggs on the ship. The chef made 35 ahead every morning.

] Let's put it this way, the best dessert we've had was the chocolate cake from MDR with pistachio ice cream. [emoji3]

And the chocolate cake is nothing to brag about.

I think the best desserts are the ice cream, chocolate mousse, and the creme brule.

Risotto is best when making it with a glass of wine in hand! The constant stirring and careful attention, means you need to keep the other hand busy with great wine! I will only make risotto on a friday or saturday night - usually takes two glasses of wine kind of attention!

Risotto is best when making it with a glass of wine in hand! The constant stirring and careful attention, means you need to keep the other hand busy with great wine! I will only make risotto on a friday or saturday night - usually takes two glasses of wine kind of attention!

100% correct.... and after the wine while making the risotto, some more while enjoying the perfectly prepared risotto :)

The thing is that in a restaurant, they make it in the morning if you are lucky or once a week in some places and keep it in the fridge for re-heating when they get an order..

Edited by pete_coach

Some final food shots.

c2af0a6520625a1e0e890975a62c3ae1.jpg

3e7d5bc14704854445cb6f6c18465a5f.jpg

Some mushroom risotto and gnocchi. The pastas are made by a Jamaican woman named Pinkie. Pinkie should be head chef at Luminae. Her dishes were hot, delicate and cooked perfectly. I can't say too much about the dishes other than pasta, but glad we were able to experience pinkies pasta each night.

301b60763f1a530616a6ac4f669137e7.jpg

Homemade cavatelli with a duck bolognese and fresh ricotta. On par with NYC restaurants. Very comforting.

08c696200946bab358ecb0f41ada4283.jpg

Chicken liver mousse terrine. Lovely.

b269b890f932430278fe4d4aae4a531b.jpg