Taking a small coffee pod machine?

Hi everyone,

Am going on Explorer with RCI in March. Not a big fan of RCI coffees, and hear the queues for Starbucks run at 30 minutes. So have purchased a small pod machine to take. Just want to enjoy a morning cup on my balcony. Do you think it will be allowed? From what I can see,the banning of coffee machines on RCI relates to the old style machine with a hot plate as a fire hazard. Hubby thinks I'm mad! The junior suites have pod machines, so I can't see why this would be taken...any thoughts?

Hi everyone,

Am going on Explorer with RCI in March. Not a big fan of RCI coffees, and hear the queues for Starbucks run at 30 minutes. So have purchased a small pod machine to take. Just want to enjoy a morning cup on my balcony. Do you think it will be allowed? From what I can see,the banning of coffee machines on RCI relates to the old style machine with a hot plate as a fire hazard. Hubby thinks I'm mad! The junior suites have pod machines, so I can't see why this would be taken...any thoughts?

One thing to think about - RCI ships do not have Australian power outlets. They have US (110volt, 60 hertz) and I don't know how well your machine would work on 110 volts. However Explorer may also have European sockets which are 220 volts, but you will need an adaptor to use these sockets.

A lot depends on how the port staff view RCI's regulations. At worst it will be confiscated and returned to you when you disembark.

We bought a cheap plunger in Perth and got some really nice ground coffee Fremantle at the markets. There was a kettle in the Junior Suite. It meant we could have a nice coffee and we now have a spare plunger to take on our houseboat.

You do realise that the Explorer will not have 240V 50Hz available. It's all 110V 60Hz which is OK for many items now with switch mode power supplies but can be a problem when there are heating elements.

I understand your need for good coffee but wonder if the Pod Machine is the best way.

There was a kettle in our Promenade view cabin on Explorer in December, so perhaps they are in all cabins. A plunger or coffee bags might be a good option as they only had Nescafe blend 43 instant in the cabin...which was a whole lot better than the free coffee available.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I cannot answer for the Explorer but Voyager had a kettle in the room (inside)when I cruised last year. I would bring some coffee and leave the pod machine behind as they confiscate power boards, kettles, irons, etc. Or just buy your coffee from the Cafe' rather than drink the MDR /Buffet stuff.

Since their refurb, both the Explorer and Voyager have kettles in the rooms with the coffee pod machines in Junior Suites and up. I personally don't like the coffee pods so I take a small plunger and coffee.

Unlike Celebrity and Princess, Royal Caribbean will let you take on a kettle so I can't see why they wouldn't allow a coffee pod machine.

Cheers

Di

Since their refurb, both the Explorer and Voyager have kettles in the rooms with the coffee pod machines in Junior Suites and up. I personally don't like the coffee pods so I take a small plunger and coffee.

Unlike Celebrity and Princess, Royal Caribbean will let you take on a kettle so I can't see why they wouldn't allow a coffee pod machine.

Cheers

Di

RCI website does state no coffee machines:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&wuc=AUS