dogs

jaxw17

We watched a man feed his "service" dog from his plate in the MDR one day, it was disgusting.

Just wondering why it was disgusting? Did it somehow have interaction with your food or plate? I'm not saying it is right or wrong but found your comment a little funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad is a Vietnam Veteran with a panic disorder stemming from PTSD. He is severely impaired by this. It effects every part of his life. Without medication he experiences uncontrollable, very intense episodes of panic one after another. The term "losing your sh**" totally applies. I experienced him caught in it when it first started. I've never seen a human try to get out of their own skin. Its really terrible. Even with all his medication that now usually controls the panic attacks, he does have breakthrough episodes from time to time. There's no telling what triggers it but it happens. For the most part my dad doesn't leave his house at all. I'm sure the isolation does nothing to help his overall mental state. If only he felt safe or confident to go out in the world. So what could a trained dog do to help someone like him? First, the dog & it's care focuses the attention outside themselves. There are dogs trained to pick up on slight physiological changes that indicate an impending panic attack. The dog can alert the owner so they may have a chance to ward it off or get seated at least. In my dad's case he could take additional medication. Also, during a panic episode the dog would comfort and stay with his owner. The dog offers the support to allow someone like my dad to feel safer leaving his house. More confident.

All that said, my dad doesn't have a support dog. I wish he did. No, he will never go on a cruise or on any real vacation. He was in the Navy for 24 years. He's sailed around the world many, many times. I'm sad sometimes knowing I'll never get to experience places with him but such is life.

The price of freedom isn't free. It's a price paid not only by what our veterans sacrifice, it's also the children who don't get to have the adventures traveling with their parent, all the missed opportunities and time lost with grandkids who can't understand and only see a grandparent they think doesn't care enough to come see them. All the things the spouses forego to care for & protect their other half. It's hard. But that's why I can understand. Disabilities aren't always visible. :)

Please thank your dad for his service....

Just wondering why it was disgusting? Did it somehow have interaction with your food or plate? I'm not saying it is right or wrong but found your comment a little funny.

You really don't have a problem with a man feeding his dog in the MDR from his dinner plate? Really? :confused: Never mind it being on a cruise...that's disgusting at any restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was taught not to feed animals at the table. Something about good manners.

Also, you had to be there to see the rather large dog with his nose and mouth at table level slurping and snorting with his food. I was expecting him to burp, but at least he didn't do that.

We watched a man feed his "service" dog from his plate in the MDR one day, it was disgusting.
That probably was a poser, a real service dog is never fed at the table and that is why they give real service dogs a bad rap. If I ever see something like this, I would take a picture and take it to the health department at the next US port.

That probably was a poser, a real service dog is never fed at the table and that is why they give real service dogs a bad rap. If I ever see something like this, I would take a picture and take it to the health department at the next US port.

I hate when I hear that people are abusing the service dog rules, they ruin it for the real service dogs.

My sister in law has a service dog, Floyd is wonderful. Never never never begs for food or eats from the table....

What do they do with the dogs when you are at a port. How do they get the dogs back on the ship. Do they need special papers. How does customs know it's your dog and not one you just found on the island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do they do with the dogs when you are at a port. How do they get the dogs back on the ship. Do they need special papers. How does customs know it's your dog and not one you just found on the island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Owners of service animals (and those who make believe their dog is a service animal) have to get the animal pre-cleared to every country visited, and have the correct veterinary documentation for that country.

Unfortunately some folks have learned to work the system, both on land and on the sea. When asked they say it is a service dog and companies are too afraid of a lawsuit to find out if they are a real service dog or a poser dog.

I'm very passionate about stopping these posers from giving true service dogs a bad name by their behavior.

I fully support your aims (for the sake of clarity) and I hope that you will accept the following as a shot against the 'poser' brigade, aclnowledging the lawsuit fear factor, whilst making a wee joke (I know I'm taking a risk - especially as a newcomer to the Forum!). Here goes ...

An English man is on a camping holiday and is walking his cross breed dog along a country lane one Summer's evening when he spots a delightful country pub. He fancies a beer but is, of course, confronted by the 'No Dogs Allowed' sign over the door.

Undeterred, our friend decides to brazen it out and pretend to be blind, and so makes his way into the pub, accompanied by his somewhat scruffy dog (Guide Dogs (i.e. Service) are invariably Pedigree Labradors).

The barman yells 'Can't you read? 'No Dogs Allowed' - get out!'

Our friend is unfazed - 'It's my Guide Dog, I'm blind' he replies

'That's not a Guide Dog,' replies the barman sarcastically

'Why,' replies our friend, 'What did they give me, then?' ;)

You are all set!!

The QM2 (Cunard) has "kennels at sea", with attendants to care for the pets, and also walking area and lounge for owners to spend time with their pets in this special kennel area.

:)

Apparently the reservations are fully booked for a couple of years, and during dry dock this year, they are increasing the number of kennels.

I think this might be used for the Trans-Atlantic route only, but not sure.

I think this is just transatlantic only