Beach Day at Hotel in St. Maarten

3red7s

Hello everyone....we are headed to St. Maartens next month. Can anyone recommend a hotel that has a 1 day beach day, that would include lounge chairs, use of the facility, pool, and a place to eat & drink? thank you

In Sept 2015, we bought a day pass to the Sonesta Maho. It is right next to the airport so it is easy walking distance to the end of the runway to watch the planes land and take off. Included beach & beach chairs, open bar, food, etc. We booked through jaital dot com. also included transportation to/from. If you go this route, ask the driver what time you need to be picked up to miss the bridge traffic.

We were at the Westin in December, booking through resorts for a day. The cost was $199. for up to 4 guests. Maybe you can find another couple to split the cost - no luck for us with the message board. For that price, we also got a beautiful room where we could leave valuables, use of the hotel's wifi, picked up our towels at the kiosk and found comfy lounge chairs near the pool. Food was reasonable and served to us at our lounge chairs. Nice swim up bar, too. We walked along the beach, though the surf and wind was rather strong for swimming.

DH and I both agreed it was worth it. We got a cab about 9:15 and were in the lobby of the Westin within minutes. They had a very nice gift shop, quality clothing and local art, not the tourist t-shirt junk found so often on the islands. We spent more at the gift shop than the cost of the day-pass. The nice part of having the hotel room was being able to shower and change before we returned to the ship. Oh, no problem with securing a cab to return to the ship - the hotel has drivers ready to transport within a minute or two.

Darcy

Hello Cool Cruiser,

We just booked the Westin Dawn Beach for our St Maartin day in April. Could you tell me how long it takes to get back to the ship in the afternoon? Our ship leaves at 5. Also, are there any decent shops to browse through within a short walk of the ships?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Cool Cruiser,

We just booked the Westin Dawn Beach for our St Maartin day in April. Could you tell me how long it takes to get back to the ship in the afternoon? Our ship leaves at 5. Also, are there any decent shops to browse through within a short walk of the ships?

Thank you in advance.

It's an easy 15 to 20 minutes from the Westin to the cruise terminal - both are on the east side of the island - so there is no draw bridge concern nor airport area or Phillipsburg traffic to delay you.

There are a few junky souvenir type shops by the terminal, but if you have the taxi drop you off at the east end of town, you can check out a wide array of shops just a 20 or so minute walk from the pier.

That's just not true about 'a few junky souvenir type shops' at the Cruise Facility.

There are at least 12 full shops and at least a dozen 'stalls' in Harbour Point Village.

There's a Boolchand's for electronics and such, several jewelers, such as Kay, Ballerina and Diamonds International.

th_DSCN3849.jpg

(click) - The link works for me, even though there is an error message right now. :(

There's a Little Switzerland for all sorts of purchases, usually handing out free shopping bags as you exit the pier.

There's even a Belgian Chocolate Box shop/stall there, or at least there used to be. Don't see it on their website right now.

I agree that shopping is much better along Frontstreet, but the Cruise Facility is not limited to a few junky souvenir type shops.

gary

That's just not true about 'a few junky souvenir type shops' at the Cruise Facility.

There are at least 12 full shops and at least a dozen 'stalls' in Harbour Point Village.

There's a Boolchand's for electronics and such, several jewelers, such as Kay, Ballerina and Diamonds International.

th_DSCN3849.jpg

(click) - The link works for me, even though there is an error message right now. :(

There's a Little Switzerland for all sorts of purchases, usually handing out free shopping bags as you exit the pier.

There's even a Belgian Chocolate Box shop/stall there, or at least there used to be. Don't see it on their website right now.

I agree that shopping is much better along Frontstreet, but the Cruise Facility is not limited to a few junky souvenir type shops.

gary

Do you find the prices higher at the port compared to the same store in town? There is a captive audience and one would think that rent would be pretty high at the port.

Do you find the prices higher at the port compared to the same store in town? There is a captive audience and one would think that rent would be pretty high at the port.

The prices at cruise port shops (in Europe and Mexico as well as the Caribbean) which are most convenient to the pier are almost universally higher than at those elsewhere: the rents are almost certain to be higher while the convenience factor makes the customer a bit less selective.

The prices at cruise port shops (in Europe and Mexico as well as the Caribbean) which are most convenient to the pier are almost universally higher than at those elsewhere: the rents are almost certain to be higher while the convenience factor makes the customer a bit less selective.

I was thinking that rent at the pier would be higher as well. Using that rationale you would have to sell a lot of "junky souvenirs " at the port to turn a profit.

Edited by Karysa

The price in December for the Westin at Oyster Pond was $199 for up to 4 guests - I booked this through Resorts for a Day. Not sure where the $299 price came from - was this directly through Westin's web site? Are you going at peak time? If so, like cruises, prices fluctuate depending upon dates. If you can't find a rate you like online, then try calling the hotel directly to see if you can snag a better day rate.

Darcy

Hi Watchhill, it is $299 on resort for a day pass as it is April 6th.

When you use Resorts for a Day's web site - YOU need to enter the island, ship, and date you anticipate being on the island, then the price will pop up.

Since both DH and I have been to St.M so often, the usual tourist things are of little interest to us - and booking a cruise line tour is nut$$$. If you can find another couple willing to share the cab ride to the hotel[rates are posted at the taxi stand] and cost of the pass, it's still a nice day. Figure the cost as PP - if softens the am't.

For us, getting away from the north east for a week or two in winter, spending time in FL [meet friends for dinner], and tacking on a cruise is all I expect for the Caribbean. We have been on so many of the islands, so a day at a resort meets our needs.

Darcy

I contacted Sonesta Maho a few weeks ago. I'll be staying in St Maarten next month, and the majority of my group will be staying here. I was told that a day long all inclusive pass is $89/pp. This has the added benefit that you can watch planes land at Maho.