If you didn't self-disembark luggage on Indy recently

emory2001

Given the mess of self-disembarkation on Independence recently, I'm considering not self-disembarking. How has that been? I've only ever done that on my first Royal cruise, on a smaller ship. I'm kind of nervous about having my luggage separated from me on a larger ship. I have TSA locks, so I'm not too worried about having anything taken, just the chance of luggage getting lost or not finding it later.

Don't worry about security issues. The real problem is that regular debarkation is as big nightmare as self-debarkation. It seems both will subject you to long, slow lines that will be forced to travel down several flights of steps. Personally, I would not want to be bouncing heavy suitcases down the steps. Just prepare yourself for a much longer debarkation than you have ever experienced.

Luggage valet is the way to go. Just walk off with your carry-on and grab a cab to the airport. Time it right and there are no lines.

This probably would not apply if you are from Florida though. Aren't you separated from your luggage at boarding?

Don't worry about security issues. The real problem is that regular debarkation is as big nightmare as self-debarkation. It seems both will subject you to long, slow lines that will be forced to travel down several flights of steps. Personally, I would not want to be bouncing heavy suitcases down the steps. Just prepare yourself for a much longer debarkation than you have ever experienced.

Agree, the regular debarkation was the disaster and we were not in a hurry either. What a mess! I think it is due to all the large number of people now doing the self-debarkation with the 9:00 AM flights. It never used to be like this. There was no organization!

Agree, the regular debarkation was the disaster and we were not in a hurry either. What a mess! I think it is due to all the large number of people now doing the self-debarkation with the 9:00 AM flights. It never used to be like this. There was no organization!

I totally agree with your last statement. There was no organization. Just a free for all that began on Deck 3 and lasted until going through customs at the terminal.

I'm just trying to prepare myself for upcoming cruise...so if I don't want to do self debarkation...

-Do I put my luggage out in hall the night before so I'm only carrying my carry ones?

- If I want to be off the ship and catching a taxi by 9:30, do I try to get a departure tag for 8:30? Is that enough time?

- When it's my time to leave ship do I proceed to deck 1 by the stairs from deck 3 (have heard elevators will only take you down to deck three that morning.).

This all sounds confusing and doesn't leave a good lasting impression! Thanks

I'm just trying to prepare myself for upcoming cruise...so if I don't want to do self debarkation...

-Do I put my luggage out in hall the night before so I'm only carrying my carry ones?

- If I want to be off the ship and catching a taxi by 9:30, do I try to get a departure tag for 8:30? Is that enough time?

- When it's my time to leave ship do I proceed to deck 1 by the stairs from deck 3 (have heard elevators will only take you down to deck three that morning.).

This all sounds confusing and doesn't leave a good lasting impression! Thanks

1. Yes, they say by 11PM

2. Maybe. It all depends on the number of folks leaving when you do. Plan for at least an hour.

3. Yep, elevator to Deck 3, then down to Deck 1 by stairs, then a longish walk to the terminal building where there will be more lines snaking around the terminal until you finally reach the Promised Land of Customs.