Prepayment of gratuities

lorri111

I think even I would be pushing to drink $70AUD a day :-)

You should check out the calculator. It includes bottled water, cappuccino coffees etc, hot chocolate, fresh juices, soft drinks, wine, beer and cocktails. Its surprising how those add up.

Is there any SAVINGS to be had by prepaying grats. - or anything else?

OR is the only reason for prepaying things so that you won't have such a big bill at the end of the trip?

(Personally, I'm not a big fan of pre-paying ANYTHING!)

Also, when i booked my upcoming trip, my TA was offering $200OBC included in the deal. can this $ be used to cover grats.?

Edited by jargey3000

OR is the only reason for prepaying things so that you won't have such a big bill at the end of the trip?

Also, when i booked my upcoming trip, my TA was offering $200OBC included in the deal. can this $ be used to cover grats.?

Prepay is a budgeting tool that may help some people. Like those who use cash or debit cards for shipboard expenses or on some promotions. FCD is actually a form of prepay that has monetary advantages.

Yes, OBC from you TA should go onto your account to offset any charges including gratuities. Take a copy and check to be sure.

I'm with you about prepaying. Unless they offer me some monetary advantage it's just as easy to let them bill my credit card at the end of the cruise.

Yes your OBC can be used for gratuities or anything else you choose.

I'm actually a fan of prepaying - in this case buying myself some OBC. My husband tends to be very frugal but if I put money in the imaginary on board bank then it gives us 'permission' to spend a little. Otherwise being thrifty becomes almost a game to him to the point where we've had a tiff about "loosening up" a bit.. sort of, let me see if I can get off this cruise w/out spending a dime kind of thing. So for some of it is definitely helps! (And on the latest cruise I easily picked up the refund = there was a credit to both of our accounts for port taxes that amounted to just under $50 that I had not planned into my spending allowance. It was super easy to get back the extra OBC that I had put in)

We don't pre pay anything.

Just give us the bill at the end of the cruise.

I'm actually a fan of prepaying - in this case buying myself some OBC. My husband tends to be very frugal but if I put money in the imaginary on board bank then it gives us 'permission' to spend a little. Otherwise being thrifty becomes almost a game to him to the point where we've had a tiff about "loosening up" a bit.. sort of, let me see if I can get off this cruise w/out spending a dime kind of thing. So for some of it is definitely helps! (And on the latest cruise I easily picked up the refund = there was a credit to both of our accounts for port taxes that amounted to just under $50 that I had not planned into my spending allowance. It was super easy to get back the extra OBC that I had put in)

Yep!

Got to laugh. Finally got a response from an email to Princess to ask where on personaliser I could purchase credit annd it said couldn't be done, had to call up call centre for it. Just as well I thought to ask Cruise Critic! It did confirm though that $31.25AUD = $25USD.