First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Off to the Silhouette Theater we go

24715888852_dab7317d24_b.jpg

The stage was set for a good show

24466103909_3a31b1aa9a_b.jpg

Behind the curtains was the amazing Silhouette 7 piece "Orchestra".

24807480056_8625a50a67_b.jpg

24538227300_ac410d5585_b.jpg

Greg was a decent singer with tons of energy. He strummed a good guitar. There were some things he wasn't very good at though. Like Vocal Impressions.

Luckily he told us who he was going to impersonate during breaks in the songs.

Without that forecast I would have closed my eyes and said "no idea-I give up".

Except for his Ray Charles which was good. Billy Idol-missed by a mile. Tom Jones-Embarrassing vocally and physically where he came to the apron of the stage and thrust his pelvis with considerable vigor. Johnny Cash, Bowie, Rod Stewart all misses.

There were a couple of things he did that were annoying and unprofessional;

Three times he told us that he had had 25 minutes rehearsal with the band which was like saying "the band are probably going to mess this up" (they didn't as they are good readers.) Obviously he knows his act.

Secondly he stopped a song that had just started to give orders to the sound man who was there at rehearsal "Give me less effects in my ear. More guitar"

Thirdly he had the superb pianist tinkle in the background between songs while he dropped names .."Clint Eastwood said to me.." He turned to her at one point and said "That's enough, love" and she had to stop.

His impressions were poorly-voiced characatures and his Ozzy Osborne went on so, so long that I was hoping the CD would emerge from the wings and wrap a blanket around his shoulders and lead him off to get treatment.

Had he been more professional and more humble (he's playing on a cruise ship- not Caesar's Palace) then we could have given him some slack on the impressions that need a lot of work.

The band gave him great support. The stars of the night.

Norris

Norris, I too am enjoying your review. It brings me back to the last two cruises on Silhouette. I'm getting my pregame on for my Summit cruise in April, but missing my old friend. Thank again, Bobby G

Bobby, welcome and I'm glad you are following along!

The Silhouette is quite something, indeed. Enjoy the Summit!

Norris

Continuing to enjoy the tour. :) You did the exact same excursion we did on St. Kitts. Glad you seem to have enjoyed it, too.

Thanks for the info about the Sangria and Tapas night. We will definitely check it out.

We have the Premium Drink package as part of one of the promotions our TA got us when booking this cruise, so looking forward to trying the Sangria ... and the Molecular Bar ... and the Martini Bar ... and .... ;)

Too bad you're missing Nevis with Smoothie driving a bus at least 50 years old.

It was the longest 5 hours of my life!

We stop at the Photo Gallery to get the Basseterre pier shot and there is a Comedy Game show called Mission Improbable, Guests vs Officers, going on down below. CD Paul is in attendance.

24466121059_0b495998ce_b.jpg

His deputy is calling the shots

24206917133_b6eddbfac2_b.jpg

A human pyramid is being formed for whatever reason

Maybe something to do with stabilizing the ship?

24205585774_39b4b461b4_b.jpg

Everybody's having fun-there's always something going on!

Carol tells me we had a phone message earlier from the Concierge in Michael's Club saying she hoped to meet us. We had time so went went to say hi.

We met a European Film Star called Anka who was gracious and welcoming as befits her job, one that she is obviously good at and passionate about. Another Vogue cover girl called something like Xenia poured us drinks as we settled into comfy chairs for the ten minutes we had before dinner. Tonic water for Carol and a Baileys on the rocks for me.

We were shown the industrial sized Nespresso machine (gasp). Carol has a home version and it makes great espresso. Anka told us the hours and that after hours we were free to come in and help ourselves to bottled water and soft drinks.Nice!

24740294401_962bd62ba8_b.jpg

24715901022_5b70d04cb9_b.jpg

Very cosy!

24538250800_ed8423ce4b_b.jpg

More....

Pictures are again framing caliber. Love the sunsets. Saw Dylan once when my children were teenagers. His lyrics are still poignant.

Bob Dylan was the 2nd live act I saw as a teen. The first was the Rolling Stones with Brian Jones in the band.

Off to a good start!!

I have the entire Desolation Row (11 minutes) on my voice mail. People often hang up before it finishes-so I don't call them back.

Norris

The island in this picture is actually St. Eustatius (also known as Statia), not Nevis. It's also the one you took pictures of before docking in St. Kitts (the wannabe volcano island.)

Thanks for the clarification! I am obviously lost in the Caribbean without a map.

I wonder if they make one?

Cheers!

Norris

I have been lurking but love Bob Dylan and Desolation Row. Enjoying the blog. Leaving in a couple of weeks for my 10th Princess Cruise. However, I believe #11 may be X. :)

Welcome and goodbye to Lurking!!

Thanks for following along. Glad you are enjoying.

I'm not going to try to dissuade you if you are interested in trying X.

Norris

Lots of free drinks in Michael's Club

24807499516_c77f12862c_b.jpg

24205588934_dabf86b1d2_b.jpg

Anka asked if there was anything she could do for us...I told her our butler had booked dinner in Tuscan Grille but couldn't guarantee a window seat.

"Excuse me one moment" and she went to use the phone.

"I have a window table for you. Please follow me". We did.

She handed us over to the TG Maitre 'd who led us to our window table. Score!

It was dark outside but we could see the wake and hear the engines turning the Azipods. It was somewhat dark inside too which made taking photos a hit or miss affair. I had to work on them in Lightroom to get an acceptable image.

Let's do dinner when I come back with a fresh page so we can give Tuscan Grille the limelight...

I'm drinking beer tonight-Peroni Nastro Azzuro (Blue Ribbon) to get into an Italian frame of mind.

24740310981_354fb932a4_b.jpg

Menus were brought by our Serbian waiter, so we left our Rosetta Stone Italian to one side when greeting him.

A good looking menu with so many things I could have chosen. The dishes were named in Italian in bold with a brief English translation below in fainter print.

So when ordering I rattled off the bold Italian name with a pefect rolling of the R

and lots of arm waving but he stopped me and said he didn't know what that was and could I speak in English? I was taken aback a bit-little point in writing the menu in Italian if the staff don't recognize the name of the dish. Just write it in English then! "I'll have the steak..."

On to the food.

Antipasto to start. Good prosciutto and olives but I was a tad disappointed in the focus...

24466139269_930ff34d90_b.jpg

My crab cake

24538258830_bf612c02ca_b.jpg

Crab cake was heavy on filler, light on crab but that's not uncommon .

Carol's classic Caesar salad with anchovies

24205608654_fd619883ba_b.jpg

We both had ravioli with braised short ribs

24538263620_d15f74b1d8_b.jpg

Carol's pappardelle with lobster, Pancetta Alfredo

24807522996_92b1219f3b_b.jpg

The spaghetti bolognese I had didn't make the cut photographically but I recall the pasta being on the thin side circumference-wise and not at all what I am used to in Italy. But pasta comes in all shapes and sizes, I know.

More....

My filet mignon (truffle fries served in a cone). I asked for the steak "medium blurry" and it was perfectly done.

24715924172_263aa7dcaf_b.jpg

Carol's branzino (sea bass) with spinach on the side

24715926622_69b32dc267_b.jpg

I photographed Carol's dessert while she counted the seconds until she would enjoy toffee panacotta, vanilla gelato in a waffle cone with caramelized strawberries and a caramel flan. Super dessert!

24740319061_f3868d5553_b.jpg

I had NO DESSERT. You heard! None. I was stuffed and it was almost 11p.m

Not even a Sambuca and espresso. I may have gone insane at some point.

We ate all our food but then we were like starving raccoons in a trashcan when we entered.

Sitting back I asked Carol how many Italians did she think were working in the kitchen. I nodded when she answered None. The food wasn't bad at all but it just didn't have the Italian touch in the cooking. We were in an Italian restaurant in New York in November which has been around for years-same thing, close but no cigar. We have been to Italy twice in the last two years and so have a reference point. The same applies to Princess' Italian restaurant, Sabatini's.

So, a good filling meal not a great one such as we had in Murano. We'll try it again on the Reflection (there's at least one Italian in the kitchen , right?)

I think if you eat Italian (Mexican/Chinese/French) food as you grow up and become a chef you are probably good at cooking it in an authentic way. Yes?No?

The Maitre'd brought the chef to our table after our meal to introduce him. Not from Europe, let alone Italy.

He was not Italian nor was the obtrusive music piped in. It was from 3,000 miles West of the Mediterranean.

Make be believe I am in Italy, just for a couple of hours, per favore. Sure, bring in a donkey wearing a straw hat if you think that will help.

A walk on deck 5 was yet again a great way to end a day as the ship slowly tip-toed towards our Thursday in St. Maarten.

I slept like a log-woke up in the fireplace covered in soot.

Norris

I am loving every wonderful picture of your review!

Love your videos too, especially where you

caught our ship, the Eclipse, and yours having that little horn

goodbye.

Our lawn on the Eclipse was brown compared to the Silhouette.

I will just have to try that ship the next time to have a first hand

comparison.

You are doing such a great review and are so talented! I realize how much time it takes to do these, so thank you for that! I eagerly await St. Maarten to see if you might have caught us in a crowd picture:)

I am loving every wonderful picture of your review!

Love your videos too, especially where you

caught our ship, the Eclipse, and yours having that little horn

goodbye.

Our lawn on the Eclipse was brown compared to the Silhouette.

I will just have to try that ship the next time to have a first hand

comparison.

You are doing such a great review and are so talented! I realize how much time it takes to do these, so thank you for that! I eagerly await St. Maarten to see if you might have caught us in a crowd picture:)

Thanks for the compliments on the photos ROWSE!

So you like horn battles huh? I'll see if I can come up with another one...

The Eclipse grass looks like it had been raining and a game of Rugby had been played on it. Shocking. Next time you are passing by drop that photo in here so people know the truth about the greenskeeper on there. He needs to drop and give me 20!!

Oops! Here comes St Maarten!!

Norris

Ok, if you are not familiar with my reviews

You'll see all this as we progress along this voyage and I hope you'll find the review interesting and informative.

Norris

Hello Norris......Oh yes I am very very familiar with your reviews as a matter of fact I have been waiting for this one ( Better Late than Never) to see it thru your eyes and Carol's notes. As always I have my rum in hand and sitting on the barrel sipping gingerly and loving every word and picture. Thank you for doing this again and welcome home.

Edited by hockeyguru32

Bob Dylan was the 2nd live act I saw as a teen. The first was the Rolling Stones with Brian Jones in the band.

Off to a good start!!

I have the entire Desolation Row (11 minutes) on my voice mail. People often hang up before it finishes-so I don't call them back.

Norris

You are one funny guy. My wife says I'm quirky but can't hold a candle to you.

And did I read you're not retired yet?

24210461114_dd5b4f5dcf_b.jpg

It's day "I don't even want to know" of our cruise. SM will be our LAST port that I know and that's not good. I review my stowaway plans one more time.

No-they're still rubbish! Rats!

I am up early again, without an alarm and am armed with the good Lavazza coffee from the buffet. I am enjoying a smoke by the Mast Bar.

24744890571_0306c4cb48_b.jpg

I'm having to take these shots through slits in the windbreaks. Sigh

24542860710_aff626c478_b.jpg

24838368545_1b5845cc96_b.jpg

24838342895_bb26a34438_b.jpg

Eclipse is still ahead of us and heading into the harbor.

24838356985_f9484c07a5_b.jpg

Hello Norris......Oh yes I am very very familiar with your reviews as a matter of fact I have been waiting for this one ( Better Late than Never) to see it thru your eyes and Carol's notes. As always I have my rum in hand and sitting on the barrel sipping gingerly and loving every word and picture. Thank you for doing this again and welcome home.

Hello again!

Glad to see another familiar face going me here.

Rum and barrel..I see you speak fluent Norris.

Sit a spell....there's some brie and crackers and we just got in a new batch of bole-weevils.

Norris

You are one funny guy. My wife says I'm quirky but can't hold a candle to you.

And did I read you're not retired yet?

Glad you are having a chuckle!

Not retired yet.

Norris

My choice of excursion in SM was NONE at all. Rather I wanted to go to Grand Case in a taxi and eat at a restaurant I have had my eye on for a couple of years as I long to eat ashore. It's called Le Soliel (the sun) and looks like this

http://www.restaurant-le-soleil.com/visitevirtuelle.html

It's a French restaurant by the water and those are 5 of my favorite words. Their specialty is lobster. I eat that. Even if I bought a pet lobster- I would eat it the day I brought it home. Boo all you want while I melt some butter.

I was overruled and an excursion that involved a catamaran ride and snorkeling shoulder to shoulder with 100 other people was chosen and paid for instead.

Guess what? A week before we left Chicago we got an email from X-snorkle excursion canceled, here's your money back. Huzzah!!!

I emailed the restaurant (in French as there's no English spoken on their site) and had a table booked for noon on January 21. Ok-remember that.

Ok we are following the Eclipse into port...

24542870040_b7d66bac3f_b.jpg

24211525343_f14d522998_b.jpg

24210200994_637422040d_b.jpg

24210204204_a457c6d71f_b.jpg

24542885320_50673de8d2_b.jpg

There would be 6 ships in port today-as well as 2 X there would be the Oosterdam (HAL) the Costa Magica, Carnival Splendor and Allure of the Seas...something like 19,000 passengers and a lot of crew with a few hours to spare before their next shift.

Ship nerds- I will show as many ships as I can.

Norris