Tourist Attacked and Murdered on Beach in Grenada

Atocha Shipwreck Gal

Although this woman was not on a cruise, she was staying at an exclusive resort on Grenada. She was walking on the beach with her husband and was assaulted and murdered. Just the week before a Canadian tourist was murdered here. Exercise caution when you leave the ship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3414917/American-woman-39-brutally-raped-murdered-day-vacation-husband-Caribbean-island-Grenada.html

Although this woman was not on a cruise, she was staying at an exclusive resort on Grenada. She was walking on the beach with her husband and was assaulted and murdered. Just the week before a Canadian tourist was murdered here. Exercise caution when you leave the ship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3414917/American-woman-39-brutally-raped-murdered-day-vacation-husband-Caribbean-island-Grenada.html

Whilst I in no way wish to lessen the terrible story we need to stick to the facts not the sensationalist pieces out in the media at this time. The Daily Mail and press covering this story does not have the facts and was written within a couple of hours of the incident happening with no consultation with the police and is all based on hearsay of "I was told"...."we pieced it together". This is a disservice to our island, our people and above all the memory of this poor lady.

Facts we do we have from the police - the couple were on a part of the beach that is away from La Sagesse Beach and is quite deserted. The suspect has turned himself into police. He was recently released from prison. There is no official information that this is other than a terrible tragedy of a robbery gone wrong. The island is mourning with the husband and we are working hard to ensure justice is done and to highlight the fact that this is not the norm here.

"just the week before a Canadian tourist was murdered" is not totally accurate. Linnea, a professor at the medical university, was a victim of a hit and run in early december. The driver panicked and made awful decisions that ended with us finding her body. She has two beautiful little boys and a loving husband that have decided to continue to live here as this is where she wanted her kids to be brought up which is why they moved to and worked here. We have a memorial service for her this Friday evening.

As always there is nowhere on earth that is 100% safe and as you say at the start exercise caution as you would anywhere you travel but please, lease rest assured Grenada and her people are just as shocked, horrified and devastated that this has happened on our beautiful island. Our thoughts are with the families at this sad time.

This is very sad to hear. I sure hope we do hear what happen and what was involved that made a person lose a life. I can't say this does not make me nervous knowing I will be going to this port April 2 for our first time and doing a private tour. My family wanted me to cancel and not get off the ship.

This is very sad to hear. I sure hope we do hear what happen and what was involved that made a person lose a life. I can't say this does not make me nervous knowing I will be going to this port April 2 for our first time and doing a private tour. My family wanted me to cancel and not get off the ship.

I understand your concerns but if you start to head down that road I would suggest you may not get off at any port anywhere else or even your own home port or travel again. Know that we as a nation are distraught that this has happened but please, please do not judge an entire nation by the action on one person that is already in custody and has been charged.

I understand your concerns but if you start to head down that road I would suggest you may not get off at any port anywhere else or even your own home port or travel again. Know that we as a nation are distraught that this has happened but please, please do not judge an entire nation by the action on one person that is already in custody and has been charged.

I am not going to live in fear and allow it change my plans. There is not a place that things don't happen. I would not allow this to judge a nation and didn't mean it to come across that way.

I am not going to live in fear and allow it change my plans. There is not a place that things don't happen. I would not allow this to judge a nation and didn't mean it to come across that way.

Thrilled you will be visiting our beautiful island and we wish you a wonderful cruise and fabulous day on our island. [also did not mean to come over as defensive in any way :o]

Thrilled you will be visiting our beautiful island and we wish you a wonderful cruise and fabulous day on our island. [also did not mean to come over as defensive in any way :o]

We'll be there 11th March. As you say we wouldn't do anything or go anywhere. Can't wait.

I am not going to live in fear and allow it change my plans. There is not a place that things don't happen. I would not allow this to judge a nation...

Of course not. Thousands upon thousands of people visit the Caribbean each year and nothing dire happens. We have been many times, no problems encountered. We only hear about the bad stuff. And while news like this is disturbing and heartbreaking, it is not exclusive to Grenada or anywhere else specific in the Caribbean.

I exercise caution wherever I am - home or away.