Dole Plantation & Memorial

pmcglothen

Hi,

We are considering going to the Dole Plantation while we are in port on 5/6 but I was wondering how far from the port it is and would it be better to rent a van (there are 5 of us) or take a cab to get there?

We are also wanting to go to the Memorial and were considering doing that on 5/5 but I keep reading about long lines...if we get our passes/tickets ahead of time will we still have the long wait? Everyone says get there early but we are flying in on the 4th and will have to wait until the cruise line lets on drop off our luggage before we can go to the memorial so I am guessing it will be later in the morning before we can get to the memorial!

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!!!!

Patti

Definitely get your Arizona Memorial tickets ahead of time; I think it's two months prior to the day you want to go and it's only $1.50 per person to reserve (processing fee). You need to pick them up at least an hour before your tour starts. Touring the Missouri, Bowfin, and Pacific Aviation Museum costs more and you can purchase these tickets at the gate, no need to ahead of time.

Second renting a car to go up to Dole. Too far for a taxi and if you have more time it's not much further up to the north shore and Haleiwa Town. Neat place to stop and look around and maybe get some shave ice.

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Dole plantation was a real letdown for me. I don't think it is worth the drive there. I would rather use the driving time to see something else. It can be super crowded if tour buses are there. The line was so long for the Dole Whip that I gave up.

Dole plantation was a real letdown for me. I don't think it is worth the drive there. I would rather use the driving time to see something else. It can be super crowded if tour buses are there. The line was so long for the Dole Whip that I gave up.

I second this. We stopped and looked around, used the restrooms, and headed on up to the north shore. It's a good stop over place for the clean bathrooms, and not much else.

I do not know why anyone would want to waste their time driving up to the Dole Plantation. It's nothing but a giant manufactured tourist trap. Want a Dole Whip? Go to Disneyland/Disney World or look on line for the recipe and make it yourself.

Drive a little further on the Kamehameha Hwy and go to Haleiwa - it still has some vestiges of the old surf town. Sample the shave ice.

I do not know why anyone would want to waste their time driving up to the Dole Plantation. It's nothing but a giant manufactured tourist trap. Want a Dole Whip? Go to Disneyland/Disney World or look on line for the recipe and make it yourself.

Drive a little further on the Kamehameha Hwy and go to Haleiwa - it still has some vestiges of the old surf town. Sample the shave ice.

Uh.... okay so I am in Honolulu and I want a Dole Whip..... so I just call up the Starship Enterprise and ask Scotty to beam me over to Anaheim or Orlando?

While the giant maze at Dole isn't my thing, it is for some people. Some visitors I was showing around Oahu wanted to ride the train around the pineapple fields and loved it. They also enjoyed the plantation gardens.

When I drive to the North Shore I usually stop to go to the gift shop and buy some t-shirts and get a Dole Whip or fresh pineapple juice.

Haleiwa may be too far for someone to comfortably wander from the cruise port, whereas Dole is pretty easy to get to.

If the Four Seasons Oahu is open by then it might be worth a stop for lunch (or Disney's Aulani).

I frankly find Haleiwa to be one big tourist trap full of burnouts from CA.

Even if you have your tickets reserved, you still have to wait in the same line with everyone else at PH to pick up your tickets. This was a surprise to me, and we had to wait in a LONG line to pick our tickets up. With that being said, here are several things to consider. 1) The line moves very quickly because the tickets are free and no money is changing hands. 2) If your reserved time is later in the day, I would guess the line is not long. The line is super long in the morning because all of the people who are hoping to get same day tickets are in line. Once those tickets are gone, no one needs to stand in line except the people picking up reserved tickets for later in the day.

We got there at 7:30 to pick up our 9:00AM tickets. I was panicking because the line was so long, and I was afraid we wouldn't make it to the counter by 8. The instructions had said to pick up your tickets an hour before or they would be given away. I approached a park ranger, who told me that they would not give my tickets away at 8--they were only trying to get people there early so the long lines would not keep them from missing their tour time. We made it to the counter right at 8, so I didn't have to test her info, but I'm assuming she knew what she was talking about.

I would get online two months in advance and get an afternoon time. Then, you'll be fine. It's a great experience that shouldn't be missed! Also, if you get there early, there are plenty of free exhibits to see before your ferry to the memorial.

Edited by baseballsandbows

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and helpful tips! I have cruised several times before but never to Hawaii so wasn't sure what to expect and what to see/do...I checked the excursions on Carnival but they are all so expensive and have found in the past that I can accomplish the same excursions on my own for a lot less money!

So that is why I am full of questions!

Thanks Again!

I am included in those that do not include the Dole Plantation in plans, however if you really want to do that you could see PH on the way home.

My favorite time at Pearl Harbor is the last tour of the day when most of the tourists are gone, the lines are gone, and it is very peaceful. I am always thrilled that most like to go early and recommend it to others.

The only problem you have in the afternoon is that is usually when the swells become difficult for the tender to the Memorial. I don't know how often that happens but it did on our last visit. This being said, if this should happen and you have an extra morning you could get tickets for afternoon one day and morning the next just in case. And, with 5 of you I would suggest a van so that you can stop someplace fun for lunch or shave ice. JMO Cherie

Here's a thought while in town as the locals call it, Honolulu go to there answer to, The Arlington national cemetery is called punch bowl. My parents are buried there, it will humble you. And the views of Honolulu and PearlRidge is amazing from up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far (how long it takes to get there) the Dole Plantaion is from the port by car? We are scheduled to do the Germaines Luau on Thursday evening and we have to be at the port by 3:00 pm to catch the bus to the Luau, so I want to be able to plan the rest of our time in port. We want to see the Pearl Harbor Memorial as well as the Dole Plantation. We have a few hours on Thursday and on Friday!

Hi...I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far (how long it takes to get there) the Dole Plantaion is from the port by car? We are scheduled to do the Germaines Luau on Thursday evening and we have to be at the port by 3:00 pm to catch the bus to the Luau, so I want to be able to plan the rest of our time in port. We want to see the Pearl Harbor Memorial as well as the Dole Plantation. We have a few hours on Thursday and on Friday!

Dole is about 40 minutes from Pier 2, assuming no traffic.

Dole got a name and boy that is a sucker tourist trap IMHO.

It is a rather long drive, if you are on the way to the North Shore you can stop there.

I would NOT recommend anyone make the Dole the stop in itself. There is the store with standard touristy stuff, the pineapple displays, one lame train ride. When we took it they had just cleared the field, there was nothing but red dirt the whole way. Total waste of time, let alone the money, were there as a stop to Northshore but we got an earful from our kids about how lame that was!

Just wanted to add, if someone wanted dole whip in Hawaii but didn't want to go to Dole planation, most (if not all) ABC stores have it. This includes the ones run by ABC stores in resort areas like Ko Olina or Waikoloa (big island) that have fancy resorty names other than "ABC store".

~Katy

Aloha Patti,

My name is Shawn and I am from Honolulu, HI. Born and raised here my entire life. I can tell you that Dole may not be your best place to visit as many do see it as a "tourist trap." However, do get a car if you are planning on going there.

As for the memorial, I assume you mean the Arizona Memorial. Sadly, I haven't been on the memorial yet (have only visited the visitor center). However, I hear it is a life changing and surreal experience. I HIGHLY recommend you get the tickets in advance as they basically run out on a lot of days. Also, do note that the ride to the memorial is weather pending and wont run if the winds are over a certain strength (I believe it's 20-25mph).

If you have time, I would strongly recommend visiting the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (us locals call it Punchbowl). It's our version of Arlington and there are some interesting memorials at the top of the hill.

Hope this helps a bit! Aloha and enjoy your stay!

I second this. We stopped and looked around, used the restrooms, and headed on up to the north shore. It's a good stop over place for the clean bathrooms, and not much else.

Dole wasn't worth the stop for us, although they do have clean bathrooms.

Aloha Patti,

My name is Shawn and I am from Honolulu, HI. Born and raised here my entire life. I can tell you that Dole may not be your best place to visit as many do see it as a "tourist trap." However, do get a car if you are planning on going there.

As for the memorial, I assume you mean the Arizona Memorial. Sadly, I haven't been on the memorial yet (have only visited the visitor center). However, I hear it is a life changing and surreal experience. I HIGHLY recommend you get the tickets in advance as they basically run out on a lot of days. Also, do note that the ride to the memorial is weather pending and wont run if the winds are over a certain strength (I believe it's 20-25mph).

If you have time, I would strongly recommend visiting the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (us locals call it Punchbowl). It's our version of Arlington and there are some interesting memorials at the top of the hill.

Hope this helps a bit! Aloha and enjoy your stay!

Shawn,

We are interested in going to Punchbowl. We will be at pier 2 or maybe 11 for that day. Seems we arrive at 2 and move to 11 as we overnight. Is there public transportation that goes there or would we need to rent a car?