Celebrity travel insurance question

wallysdtr

March 2015. Airline cancelled our reservations for the day before the cruise due to inclement weather. They had nothing for 2 days.DH and I scrambled to find airfare and we traveled an hour and a half to catch a flight out of buffalo, N.Y. to,catch a flight morning of the cruise. Had to rent a car, book a hotel room, etc.

One way airfare cost us $600. I just received an email saying we were being reimbursed $122.

Has anyone else filed a claim and had any success?

Celebrity's travel insurance has a bizarre, complicated formula for reimbursing for air fair. We filed a claim once and even with an accounting degree I could not figure it out. As another poster said, be glad you got something. Your original airline should have refunded the original fair paid. Also, does the credit card you booked with provide any protection. Ours does but have never used it.

Just curious if you looked at the coverage limits in the Celebrity Policy before you purchased it....or did you just assume that if Celebrity offered it, the policy must be good. Most, I think, do the latter, because if they looked, they would find that the evacuation and medical coverage are very low...as in just enough to cover any expenses you might incur on board...but far too little to cover you in a local hospital or being evacuated to your home city.

However, in this case, the insurance is probably no better or worse than the others. I'll side with the folks who say "be glad you got anything" because travel insurance companies usually automatically reject every claim as not covered...and they wait for you to come back and complain.

Thanks for the responses.

We paid almost double for the airline tickets we bought last minute to get to miami. while we did get refunded for the original ticket, I was hoping for a refund of the difference. It looks like the refund of the hotel and car is all they want to give us.

The suggestion regarding the credit card and what they cover was something I didn't consider but will check into it.

Thanks for the responses.

We paid almost double for the airline tickets we bought last minute to get to miami. while we did get refunded for the original ticket, I was hoping for a refund of the difference. It looks like the refund of the hotel and car is all they want to give us.

The suggestion regarding the credit card and what they cover was something I didn't consider but will check into it.

Did you call and ask them for an explanation of benefits? They should reference the policy and tell you exactly why or why not they covered what they did.

Just as an FYI, it is too late to get reimbursement from most credit cards. The process must begin asap and generally has a filing limit of 60-90 days.

Did you go back to Cruise Air to rebook you or did you do it on your own, surely in a panic mode?

Sorry to hear of your travel woes. I am sure you can relate to the thousands who missed their cruises last weekend. Any information that you can provide for them would be greatly appreciated.