Plan B if Orient too windy

pocogb

This would make sense, as it faces generally south - so if the north-facing Orient is too rough, Little Bay would likely be calm.

I agree that anything on the south side of the island would be less rough than Orient in most windy situations, or less affected by seaweed when that is a problem, but Orient faces East, not North.

I believe that the name, in French, translates to 'Eastern Bay'.

Orient Bay, or in French "Baie Orientale", sweeps around a blue cove, facing east, as the name suggests. The 2 mile long, white powdered sand beach is protected from the Atlantic waves by a reef, and the bottom has a very gradual slope.

Source: Sint-Maarten.net, perhaps NSFW.

gary

I agree that anything on the south side of the island would be less rough than Orient in most windy situations, or less affected by seaweed when that is a problem, but Orient faces East, not North.

I believe that the name, in French, translates to 'Eastern Bay'.

Orient Bay, or in French "Baie Orientale", sweeps around a blue cove, facing east, as the name suggests. The 2 mile long, white powdered sand beach is protected from the Atlantic waves by a reef, and the bottom has a very gradual slope.

Source: Sint-Maarten.net, perhaps NSFW.

gary

Yes, "Baie Orientale" means Eastern Bay - as it is on the eastern side of French St. Martin, but it does not face east - rather northeast, and it is shielded from the east by Caye Verte and the adjoining reef- meaning that whatever rough seas experienced will be from the north more than anywhere else.

The real point, though, is that if Orient is too rough, a beach on the south side of the island - whether it faces southeast, south or southwest - will be calmer.