Bear Viewing in SouthWest AK

HazelBuc

I am in the early planning stages for a trip to Alaska in 2017. We are planning on taking 7-8 days to spend in the SW part of Alaska prior to doing our cruise. I know this section is more for the cruise ports but thought I would post some questions to see if there is some help out there for my planning. We are planning on the end of August timeframe but could be flexible. We are hoping to see bear activity and have different types of experiences with bear viewing. I would like to be able to fly to Kodiak island, also go to Brooks Camp in Katmai NP and go to Lake Clark NP. So my questions...First for Lake Clark, is it better to go to Port Alsworth and do trips from there or to do the eastside of the Lake Clark NP more across from Kenai? Is it possible to do all three of these, staying a couple of days in each area? Or should I focus on only two and if only two, which two? I have heard a lot about Brooks camp but have also hear it can become crowded. We like to get off the beaten path so we are open to suggestions. It seems most trips are round trip from Anchorage so I am trying to find ways to be able to combine these areas without backtracking to Anc to start over with another flight. If that is what we have to do, then I think only two will work. Thanks for the help and suggestion.

If you spend some time on the Kenai Peninsula a good place to see bears is at the confluence of the Kenai and the Russian rivers. You can access there at the Russian river campground just west of Cooper Landing. Entrance fee is $15 and you can take the ferry across the Kenai (extra fee) or park and walk along the Russian. You can also take a 2 mile hike to Russian River Falls where there is also bear activity. Best time of year is June-August.I fish there and almost always see bears(brown and black) Be sure and bring bear spray or a gun. Don't ask me how I know!:eek::eek::eek:

The most important factor is to be during peak time, in the middle. Salmon runs aren't on a clock so can be early/late. You don't want to invest in costly tours for being "off".

Out of Anchorage, I'd suggest contacting Rust's, and use their advice. As for going between bear areas, may have to look at a charter. Another starting point for fly in's is Soldotna. I have gone with Natron, so maybe ask them as well, for best bear viewing.