Zika or Noro Virus on cruise ships

beshears

Does anyone know if the Zika Virus has been found on any of the cruise ships as yet? I know it is going around the USA, and we are cruising in April. As you can see, I am just checking "ahead" of time. :)

Last night they discovered that the Norovirus at a dinner theatre here in KC, Kansas, had about 100 or more people that had got sick.

CNN reported on the outbreak of the mosquito born Zika virus spreading through the Americas and the Caribbean.

I cruised during the Chikingunga scare with two very young grandchildren,

We were worried.

We took every precaution and all went well. In fact we never saw a mosquito.

What are your thoughts? Are the cruise lines concerned?

From what I have heard it is hitting the Caribbean but the only cases they have found in the US were from people that had recently traveled to locations that have been having issues with it. The last I heard on that was a couple days ago so I am not sure that things have changed since then, but I haven't seen it... Also, its only transmitted by mosquitoes so its not like the Norovirus in that respect where it will make its way around the ship if 1 person gets it.

Unfortunately, Norovirus is everywhere and has been for a long time. The best protection is washing your hands often and hoping you don't get it!

Does anyone know if the Zika Virus has been found on any of the cruise ships as yet? I know it is going around the USA, and we are cruising in April. As you can see, I am just checking "ahead" of time. :)

Last night they discovered that the Norovirus at a dinner theatre here in KC, Kansas, had about 100 or more people that had got sick.

Let's get some terminology straight here!

Norovirus is going to be "diagnosed" in people who were at a dinner theater. It's unlikely to discover the virus in the environment, but it does survive in the environment and is a continuing hazard in the environment. It does periodically appear on cruise ships (and resort hotels, high end restaurants, dinner theaters, etc.).

Zika is a vector borne diseased transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. I have not seen any reports of it being diagnosed in passengers on a cruise ship, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's been diagnosed in someone who's been on a cruise ship. I haven't done an exhaustive search of the medical literature, so I don't know whether its spread person to person by the mosquito, or if there's another animal host; people aren't viremic for very long, which certainly makes them an imperfect host. But for Zika to be "on a cruise ship" and important, you need Zika infected Aedes mosquitoes and a susceptible person. Thankfully, that confluence of events is more complicated than a hand to mouth exposure for Noro.

To date, all of the US cases appear to be imported, but we certainly have the vectors here to sustain transmission if we achieve a high enough prevalence.

Thank you ALL for your replies to my question. I knew I had "overheard" it on the news while walking by the TV, and "thought" I had heard the word "Caribbean" mentioned. That is why I ask, as we will be leaving in April for the Caribbean.

We will definitely know to keep our hands, etc. CLEAN.:)

Thank you ALL for your replies to my question. I knew I had "overheard" it on the news while walking by the TV, and "thought" I had heard the word "Caribbean" mentioned. That is why I ask, as we will be leaving in April for the Caribbean.

Keeping your hands clean won't do a thing to prevent Zika, as its transmitted via mosquito bite. If you're going anywhere with Zika already there, load up on the bugspray and apply liberally throughout your time there.

I have never seen a mosquito on the actual cruise ship in the Caribbean. However, I have been to ports in recent years where they warn of mosquitoes and recommend using repellent, especially for jungle tours, etc. There are a variety of illnesses have been occurring for a decade. To me, its old news. I'm not sure why this one is making the "sky is falling end of the world" news. Perhaps because of the problems it may be causing with babies.

On the other hand, flu is common everywhere and can be spread by humans.

The best defense is a good offense.

Edited by TubbyMrT

I have never seen a mosquito on the actual cruise ship in the Caribbean. However, I have been to ports in recent years where they warn of mosquitoes and recommend using repellent, especially for jungle tours, etc. There are a variety of illnesses have been occurring for a decade. To me, its old news. I'm not sure why this one is making the "sky is falling end of the world" news. Perhaps because of the problems it may be causing with babies.

On the other hand, flu is common everywhere and can be spread by humans.

The best defense is a good offense.

A few years back we took a tour of the Cozumel Mayan Ruins and it was just awful due to being covered by mosquitos. We couldn't escape them. We had to leave and not complete the tour.

We are hearing about this now because of the extreme increase in cases. Brazil has recorded over 4000 since October and previously only 150 a year.

And it's spreading to other countries very fast.

The WHO is to meet Monday to start talking about it. I would hope they would start spraying but that might be too obvious for them to think of.

If you're pregnant or might be, you should completely understand the risks before going. Carnival, Norwegian and RCI are beginning to allow changes in reservations.

My husband and I cancelled our cruise for March today, due to Zika. We are undergoing fertility treatment and the slight risk of getting the virus isn't worth it for us. That being said, if we weren't trying to get pregnant, the virus wouldn't concern me. Norovirus always concerns me because every time I have had it, I've ended up in the ER due to rapid dehydration.

Royal is working with us to fully cancel our cruise and hopefully reimburse us the whole amount of our deposit. They've asked for a doctors note and I'm hopeful they will follow through with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back we took a tour of the Cozumel Mayan Ruins and it was just awful due to being covered by mosquitos. We couldn't escape them. We had to leave and not complete the tour.

Glad to get the heads up on this as I will be visiting the ruins next month. I bring deet wipes so I'll be sure to pack heavy for the day.

I copied this from CNN's website.

Sounds like the BIGGEST group at risk are pregnant women and babies.

Also, if you are going to an island with a high number of mosquitoes, best to get the 98% Deet products, which you can buy online. Normally mosquitoes are not out during the day.

Some 80% of those infected with the Zika virus don't even feel sick, and most who do have relatively mild symptoms such as a fever, rash, joint pain or pink eye. But there are major worries about the dangers pregnant women and their babies face.

Chan said that, where the virus has arrived, there's been a corresponding "steep increase in the birth of babies with abnormally small heads and in cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome." Having small heads can cause severe developmental issues and sometimes death. Guillain-Barre is a rare autoimmune disorder that can lead to life-threatening paralysis.

Also, if you are going to an island with a high number of mosquitoes, best to get the 98% Deet products, which you can buy online. Normally mosquitoes are not out during the day.

The Aedes mosquitos that spread Zika are daytime feeders. The primary mosquito species lives in or near human dwellings, and unlike the mosquitos that spread malaria, feeds during the day.

Edited by markeb

The Aedes mosquitos that spread Zika are daytime feeders. The primary mosquito species lives in or near human dwellings, and unlike the mosquitos that spread malaria, feeds during the day.

Interesting, and good to know. Thanks!:D

As I understand it, the Zika virus produces flu-like symptoms in most people. It's really only extremely dangerous to pregnant women. If I was expecting, I would cancel my cruise. Otherwise, I'd buy bug repellent and take my chances. That's just me, you don't have to agree. But I could get the flu staying home. (Despite getting the flu shot!) Cruising doesn't seem that much worse of a risk and the rewards are significantly higher.

As for Noro-virus: A restaurant chain, that has experienced some horrific issues with E coli, had a recent issue with Noro-virus resulting from an ill waiter. An enormous number of local university athletes were impacted. My point being, it happens ON LAND. Avoiding cruises does NOTHING to protect you from Noro-virus. It's a highly contagious stomach bug people in close proximity spread.

And a tourist was murdered in Grenada.

Tourists suffered gang violence in the Virgin Islands.

And there's Natalie Holloway in Aruba...

Point taken. There are dangers involved in traveling. There are dangers involved in getting out of bed in the morning.

We visited St. Lucia on a recent cruise. Some family members were vacationing there at the same time. They got sick. We didn't. I doubt it had to do with being more careful. I suspect it was LUCK, metabolism. who knows??

I don't mean to get on a soap box. Everyone should restrict themselves to a level of risk with which they feel acceptable. But don't avoid vacations out of irrational fear. Unless you encase yourself in a bubble, you can get sick no matter what you do.

Public health authorities in Britain are now cautioning men who may have been exposed to Zika use condoms for a month; apparently it's not just dangerous (to the babies) if women are exposed before or during pregnancy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12129072/Zika-outbreak-British-travellers-told-to-put-off-trying-for-a-baby-for-a-month.html

The virus has been confirmed already in 11 US states and the District of Columbia.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/who-to-decide-if-zika-virus-is-a-global-health-emergency-1453989411

If I was of childbearing age, I would absolutely heed these warnings and cancel a cruise. The potential effects are devastating for the unborn child. No vacation is worth that.

My head is exploding with all these quotation marks.

Related to the Zika virus, yesterday on the news here in Canada, they were reporting that a number of Canadian airlines are allowing people who are concerned to cancel their travel plans to affected areas, as well as allowing them to change - presumably to non-affected areas. Health Canada is also holding a news conference today about this. It certainly does seem worrisome, and if I were pregnant, planning on getting pregnant, or otherwise had immune issues, I'd be changing my plans, but that is me. All that and no quotes Poncho 1973 - I hope your head is okay!!!

Edited by KiwiGal117

As I understand it, the Zika virus produces flu-like symptoms in most people. It's really only extremely dangerous to pregnant women. If I was expecting, I would cancel my cruise. Otherwise, I'd buy bug repellent and take my chances. That's just me, you don't have to agree. But I could get the flu staying home. (Despite getting the flu shot!) Cruising doesn't seem that much worse of a risk and the rewards are significantly higher.

As for Noro-virus: A restaurant chain, that has experienced some horrific issues with E coli, had a recent issue with Noro-virus resulting from an ill waiter. An enormous number of local university athletes were impacted. My point being, it happens ON LAND. Avoiding cruises does NOTHING to protect you from Noro-virus. It's a highly contagious stomach bug people in close proximity spread.

And a tourist was murdered in Grenada.

Tourists suffered gang violence in the Virgin Islands.

And there's Natalie Holloway in Aruba...

Point taken. There are dangers involved in traveling. There are dangers involved in getting out of bed in the morning.

We visited St. Lucia on a recent cruise. Some family members were vacationing there at the same time. They got sick. We didn't. I doubt it had to do with being more careful. I suspect it was LUCK, metabolism. who knows??

I don't mean to get on a soap box. Everyone should restrict themselves to a level of risk with which they feel acceptable. But don't avoid vacations out of irrational fear. Unless you encase yourself in a bubble, you can get sick no matter what you do.

I had this some conversation with someone the other day... Unless you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, there is really no reason to be scared of it unless you live in a bubble. Its straight fear mongering for those not pregnant.

I got Norovirus once at Disney and the other time traveling to MA for Christmas. It can happen anywhere at anytime.

So far, the only confirmed cases they have had in the US have been from people that have traveled to infected areas. I still do not think we have seen any that have stemmed from the continental US itself.

I had this some conversation with someone the other day... Unless you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, there is really no reason to be scared of it unless you live in a bubble. Its straight fear mongering for those not pregnant.

Exactly - And there's even disagreement on how 'trying' you need to be before its of concern. If your goal is to get pregnant on the cruise or shortly thereafter, and you can't just delay those efforts, then cancel the cruise. If you're currently pregnant, the risks are too great and the results from being infected are too severe, and you should cancel. Otherwise, there really is no concern for going.

I got Norovirus once at Disney and the other time traveling to MA for Christmas. It can happen anywhere at anytime.

Yeah, I had my experience with it working at a boarding summer camp nearly 15 years ago. Noro is a major risk any time you have people in the same vicinity for long periods of time, because you can't separate yourself from the situation to cut its spread off at the knees. Any cruise ship or resort is especially vulnerable. This is part of the risk of going on tourist destinations.

So far, the only confirmed cases they have had in the US have been from people that have traveled to infected areas. I still do not think we have seen any that have stemmed from the continental US itself.

Correct, but I would suspect it to catch on and spread throughout at least the Southeast United States throughout the spring summer and fall once the mosquitoes start hatching.

if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, the US CDC advises you stay out of any zika infected zones - pretty much all of latin america as well as many areas in the Caribbean, including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

Carnival Cruise Lines will refund your money.

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian will permit you to switch to a different cruise, but will not refund your money (if you're past final payment)

Edited by alaska_planner

Exactly - And there's even disagreement on how 'trying' you need to be before its of concern. If your goal is to get pregnant on the cruise or shortly thereafter, and you can't just delay those efforts, then cancel the cruise. If you're currently pregnant, the risks are too great and the results from being infected are too severe, and you should cancel. Otherwise, there really is no concern for going.

Yeah, I had my experience with it working at a boarding summer camp nearly 15 years ago. Noro is a major risk any time you have people in the same vicinity for long periods of time, because you can't separate yourself from the situation to cut its spread off at the knees. Any cruise ship or resort is especially vulnerable. This is part of the risk of going on tourist destinations.

Correct, but I would suspect it to catch on and spread throughout at least the Southeast United States throughout the spring summer and fall once the mosquitoes start hatching.

No doubt about it spreading, my only problem with them doing all the coverage on it "being in the US" is that they are leaving out that those people didn't contract it in the US. I have a friend that is currently 5 months pregnant and now she is petrified because someone in her state has it. She is in New England and there are no mosquitoes this time of year... That person contracted it outside of the country. But now there are a ton of people freaking out over something that shouldn't be an issue to them as of yet because they haven't been to the infected areas.

No doubt about it spreading, my only problem with them doing all the coverage on it "being in the US" is that they are leaving out that those people didn't contract it in the US. I have a friend that is currently 5 months pregnant and now she is petrified because someone in her state has it. She is in New England and there are no mosquitoes this time of year... That person contracted it outside of the country. But now there are a ton of people freaking out over something that shouldn't be an issue to them as of yet because they haven't been to the infected areas.

That's what you get when you have media in this country that is more concerned with fear mongering for ratings than telling you useful facts.