Which hotel/area in Tampa? Car needed?

sjf

We disembark at Tampa after a Transatlantic in November. First time to Tampa and we'd like to stay 3 nights to have a quick look around before flying off.

I'm a bit confused about the different areas. We'd like to stay not too far from the port and the airport. If Busch Gardens is open we may spend a day there, otherwise we don't have any special activities in mind - generally we like to just walk around and get the feel of a place. Can anyone recommend a nice area and hotel to stay (mid-price range)?

If we could manage with public transport, we'd do that, but I guess renting a car would mean we could be more flexible about where to stay, so long as there was free parking.

Any suggestions would be really helpful - thanks.

Renting a car is likely your best bet. Close to the TPA airport are the Westshore area and the Rocky Point area -- both are full of hotels as well as shopping and dining options; Rocky Point is on the bay.

Besides Busch Gardens you should consider driving over the bridge and visiting the Clearwater/St. Pete area and enjoy the gulf coast beaches. :cool:

Ybor City has some fun restaurants and nightlife - if you are there on a Friday or Saturday I would leave prior to midnight - things get crazy the later out you stay.

Avoid the area near the stadium unless strip clubs are what you are looking for.

Edited by JohninDC

With regard to renting a car near the port, we've had good luck with Avis located at the Embassy Suites downtown. They do have a free shuttle, but sometimes they are busy, so the shuttle is not always timely. A taxi is $3 per person within the downtown area.

The Columbia has been operating since 1905. The history is amazing and the food is pretty representative of what we eat here (yay chicken & yellow rice, get the platanos maduros). Be sure to have café con leche.

For a unique place we are proud of, Cigar City Brewing. Started by the son of the Strip Club King-Joe Redner, Joey Redner has built his local craft brewery into a national powerhouse brewing innovative beers that taste good. It's in an industrial area near the strip clubs, but I have been many, many times at all hours and have had no problems. In Ybor City, look for Cigar City Cider and Mead bar. I haven't been yet.

I agree, a car would give you ultimate flexibility, and allow you to venture out. Our bus system service is rather sad (sorry, I came from a town with a fabulous public transport system).

(PS, if you like Thai, directly across the highway from the strip club Mons Venus is my favorite little Thai spot, Thai Terrace. It's beautiful inside, like being inside one of those tiny carved wooden boxes with all the brown wood walls, and the food is authentic, run by a Thai family. It's in front of a rather dicey motel, but I go early, and in the company of my rather burly husband, so never a problem. Go there, and slip over to Cigar City Brewing afterward. it's less than a mile away.

We have a classic movie palace circa 1926 that I love, the Tampa Theatre. Might have something you are interested in if the weather is cold/rainy while you are here.

Enjoy. I've been here 25 years, and still haven't seen all that's here.

The Columbia has been operating since 1905. The history is amazing and the food is pretty representative of what we eat here (yay chicken & yellow rice, get the platanos maduros). Be sure to have café con leche. ...

We went to Columbia a week ago, and I also highly recommend it. Extensive menu of unique choices, well prepared.

Columbia and Ulele are part of the same restaurant group. I hate to say it because the menu is so extensive but my fave at the Columbia is still Cuban sandwich, Spanish bean soup, Seventh Avenue salad and a pitcher of sangria. The chicken and yellow rice is great. Also the mezzaluna fish. Follow it up with flan and cafe con leche.

Ditto to Cigar City Brewing but there are some new ones. Coopertail?

We have also lived in Tampa for 25 years. Lots to do. If you want to get out on the water the convention center area offers water taxis, waterside bar.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Tampa and this is what I would suggest for you:

Stay at the Downtown Courtyard Marriott. They have a free shuttle that will take you to Ybor City and a lot of the areas that you would want to go. When you want to return to the hotel, you just call. I believe it will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Anywhere that it doesn't go, take Uber. The Uber prices here are great and you can get most places for under $10. You can also walk to many downtown restaurants from that area. I love Taps for a good beer or glass of wine on the patio and Anise Gastrobar and it's about a block from the hotel. There is also a park and a riverwalk in that area as well as the Straz center theater.

If you stay by the airport, It's all chain restaurants and basically a mall type area. It is nothing special.

Additional areas to check out:

Hyde Park - high end shopping and dining and beautiful historic homes (Bern's is located here)

Bayshore Boulevard - amazing waterfront homes and a great place to walk and people watch

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more Tampa tips!:)

Edited by Eli2abethD

The Embassy Suites USF (3705 Spectrum Boulevard) is about 15-20 minutes drive from the airport/seaport, and about 5 minutes from Busch Gardens. I've stayed there for work and personal trips and always had a great experience. There's also an Embassy Suites closer to the airport (555 N Westshore Blvd), and a third within minutes of the seaport right by the convention center - the third is considerably more expensive, but it's in a nice downtown location near good restaurants.

The Courtyard Marriott on Cypress Ave. has an airport shuttle, but not right on top of the attractions, so the price is a little lower.

Edited to Add: And I second the nomination of Bern's. It's extremely expensive, but a marvelous experience on top of the fantastic food. You can get a tour of the kitchens and their incredible wine cellar in between dinner and dessert. If your budget can't handle that after your cruise, there's an excellent Italian restaurant, Bella's Italian Cafe, across the street from Bern's.

Edited by 3Fluffies

• 1 month later...
I live in Tampa and this is what I would suggest for you:

Stay at the Downtown Courtyard Marriott. They have a free shuttle that will take you to Ybor City and a lot of the areas that you would want to go. When you want to return to the hotel, you just call. I believe it will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Anywhere that it doesn't go, take Uber. The Uber prices here are great and you can get most places for under $10. You can also walk to many downtown restaurants from that area. I love Taps for a good beer or glass of wine on the patio and Anise Gastrobar and it's about a block from the hotel. There is also a park and a riverwalk in that area as well as the Straz center theater.

If you stay by the airport, It's all chain restaurants and basically a mall type area. It is nothing special.

Additional areas to check out:

Hyde Park - high end shopping and dining and beautiful historic homes (Bern's is located here)

Bayshore Boulevard - amazing waterfront homes and a great place to walk and people watch

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more Tampa tips!:)

Excellent advice. I would add that Tampa is just huge ... the entire Hillsborough County area is which makes everything very spread out. Renting a car gives you the most flexibility because. Decide what you want to focus on ... food, museums, culture, history theme park, or physical activities or ... or ... or ....

For beaches you are going to need to cross one of the bridges to go to St. Pete, Clearwater, or Sarasota area.

Columbia is a great way to experience traditional Cuban cuisine but it can be busy at certain times ... sometimes all the time ... so get reservations. If you are looking for a little hole in the wall place that has been around forever, try Broccatos Sandwich Shop. Run by the same family for over 50 years. Little pricey by some standards but you will not get a bad meal there but be prepared for it to be busy as heck and out of the usual tourist areas.

Lots of nifty little museums in the area ... downtown, Ybor City, MOSI over off of Fowler Ave near USF, etc. Then there is the Dali museum but that is again across the bridge.

You want to walk? Bayshore Blvd. Wikipedia gives a succinct description: Bayshore Boulevard is a waterfront road on Hillsborough Bay in South Tampa, Florida. Located south of downtown Tampa, its sidewalk, claimed to be the longest continuous sidewalk in the world at 4.5 miles (7.2 km) long, is 10 feet (3.0 m) wide and is widely used for recreation and exercise. The 3-mile (4.8 km) bike lane, a linear park, and the Bayshore Greenway Trail provide scenic views of urban Tampa and the water. Many large and historic homes line the road, as well as business including the Colonnade (restaurant), a historic seafood restaurant established in 1935. The Gasparilla Children's parade is held on a section of the road.

There are a couple of trendy, cool restaurants downtown or between downtown and the University of Tampa. Oxford Exchange is the name of one such place, just call for reservations as they can get very busy.