1.5 days in Long Beach

rbslos18

We will be spending one and a half days in Long Beach next winter. I just booked out flights. We arrive on a Sunday at noon after a short flight and then our cruise departs on a Tuesday. We are staying at the Renaissance (my dw thanks you bruinsteve).

What is a manageable itinerary? I would love the aquarium and Queen Mary. DW loves to walk on the beach and museums.

Thanks!

RB

From the Renaissance take the free Passport bus to the Aquarium and Queen Mary.

Or take the Passport to the Long Beach Transit Mall to the Blue Line-Red Line (metro.net) to Union Station to check out Olvera Street, Chinatown and Philipe's Original. hot dip. Know that the Blue lines be goes thru the roughest areas of LA.

Could rent a car and check out the beaches and museums.

We will be spending one and a half days in Long Beach next winter. I just booked out flights. We arrive on a Sunday at noon after a short flight and then our cruise departs on a Tuesday. We are staying at the Renaissance (my dw thanks you bruinsteve).

What is a manageable itinerary? I would love the aquarium and Queen Mary. DW loves to walk on the beach and museums.

Thanks!

RB

RB,

Your timing works fine for a relaxing visit to Long Beach--including the Aquarium and the Queen Mary...and the Renaissance is a very nice hotel in a prime location--perfect choice...

Of course, beaches and museums are another question...

The area of Long Beach you are in is not known for its beaches--because it fronts the harbor...and winter is not exactly "beach time"--but, if you are just walking and it's walking with your feet in the sand and an ocean view you want, then it works fine...Walk a few blocks East on Ocean from the hotel to Shoreline Drive and right on Shoreline (or you could cut right on Linden and then diagonally across the Convention Center Parking Lot) and there will be the near end of a rather large, wide beach going east from there...

But, then, museums are another story...LA's great museums are all much to the north of Long Beach...The Getty Center is 35 miles north in Brentwood/Bel Air...The Getty Villa is 39 miles north in Pacific Palisades/Malibu...LACMA is 33 miles north in the Wilshire District...You could pay a lot for taxis or Ubers...or rent a car...or save them for another trip when you have more time...

From the Renaissance take the free Passport bus to the Aquarium and Queen Mary.

Or take the Passport to the Long Beach Transit Mall to the Blue Line-Red Line (metro.net) to Union Station to check out Olvera Street, Chinatown and Philipe's Original. hot dip. Know that the Blue lines be goes thru the roughest areas of LA.

Could rent a car and check out the beaches and museums.

In the limited time you have I don't know that I'd be heading to DTLA.

There is plenty to see in the downtown Long Beach area and you can Uber to the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach for the beach, some nice restaurants and shopping.

The museums I would look into are the Long Beach Museum of Art and the USS Iowa in San Pedro.

Thanks!

RB

This is precisely what we did.

We spent a few hours at the Aquarium, we also walked over to the Queen Mary where we not only had lunch but we took a self guided tour. We walked on the board walk. We also walked around the downtown area.

It was perfect.

Just enjoy and don't schedule each and every minute.

Keith

So let's say we do the aquarium and Queen Mary on Monday. What would be good Sunday activities in the mid to late afternoon?

The Pine Avenue Area, including the Pike and the Belmont Shore area.

http://www.belmontshore.org/

http://www.downtownlongbeach.org/business-list?category=restaurants

You could also consider taking the city bus or a cab over to San Pedro. I love the Los Angeles Maritime Museum

http://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/

and there is also the Cabrillo Marine Center, which has a small beach area: http://www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org/

If he likes Naval history, there is also the USS Iowa to tour in San Pedro.

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

With 1.5 days, I would head to Huntington Beach and enjoy the area. Only 20 minutes to the port and tons of things to do. Go down Main Street and see gorgeous young girls in skimpy bikinis. If you had any game, you could score with these girls easily. By the morning, you would need to find the morning after pill to prevent pregnancies. My buddies would offer our services for free as armcandy for the girls. Always ended up at a nude pool party with lots of drinks. Great times.

With 1.5 days, I would head to Huntington Beach and enjoy the area. Only 20 minutes to the port and tons of things to do. Go down Main Street and see gorgeous young girls in skimpy bikinis. If you had any game, you could score with these girls easily. By the morning, you would need to find the morning after pill to prevent pregnancies. My buddies would offer our services for free as armcandy for the girls. Always ended up at a nude pool party with lots of drinks. Great times.

Did you not catch that his "dw" will be with him?

This would certainly be a memorable and novel start to our vacation celebrating our 40th anniversary!

Edited by rbslos18

@rblos- As a local, I second the Huntington Beach recommendation. It depends on the type of beach DW likes but HB is a nucleus for the California beach / surfer lifestyle (some of it authentic, some of it a facade).

In the interest of equal opportunity, DW can pick up some young surfers while you're scoring the girls. Just maybe not this HB surfer dude:

:)

@rblos- As a local, I second the Huntington Beach recommendation. It depends on the type of beach DW likes but HB is a nucleus for the California beach / surfer lifestyle (some of it authentic, some of it a facade).

In the interest of equal opportunity, DW can pick up some young surfers while you're scoring the girls. Just maybe not this HB surfer dude:

:)

Thanks a lot Kenish. Now DW wants to go to HB by herself! The original response to the YubaSutter HB post was --have fun dear. Now she wants me to stay behind to play with the sharks in the Long Beach aquarium. What a mess!

Edited by rbslos18

• 11 months later...