Trying O from Crystal

Crownimperial

I have traveled on both (Symphony twice and Regatta once). My opinion is as follows:

1. Food comparable in MDR, buffet and pool grill. Prego (Italian on Crystal) far superior to Toscana. Silk Road sushi bar was good as any high end sushi bar on land. Polo Grill very good on O. I missed a steak house on Crystal. Overall, Crystal speciality dining seemed more "special" to me. Did like availability of Lobster and grilled meats in evening buffet on O, so perhaps a slight edge to O if you prefer evening buffet dining.

2. Traveled pre- and post-all inclusive on Crystal. Purchased drinks package on O. Liquor is comparable, slight edge to Crystal--no card showing, etc. Much better included wines on Crystal. When beverages are included, more socializing later in the evenings.

3. Entertainment far superior on Crystal (perhaps because Regatta is smaller). Piano bar on Crystal is very fun. Shows were better as well.

4. Service comparable on both.

5. I usually travel in steerage (no suites yet), but I understand the suites on O are apparently far superior to Crystal if you can afford them.

6. Overall felt like Crystal was luxury (think Cadillac or Lexus) and O was close (think Buick or Lincoln).

That being said, I would cruise either line again in a heartbeat and I am of the opinion these two lines provide some of the best value at sea. Anxious to try O's larger ships and Crystal's new offerings.

John

Bear in mind that your ability to get extra reservations also can depend on just who is on the ship with you. By that I mean that if a majority of passengers want extra reservations, that can curtail your ability to get extras for yourself. A suite passenger has a better chance for more reservations than someone below the concierge level will. (And the butler can be a great help in that connection as well.)

If you're on a cruise with lots of passengers (like us!) who aren't that enamored of the specialty restaurants, then your chances are better as well.

As to people who condemn the GDR after one dinner, I just don't get it. We happen to prefer the GDR in general. NOT because the food is better than the specialties -- I wouldn't go that far. But we like the additional choices as opposed to the fixed menus that never seem to change. And while we've had a few inopportune choices in the GDR, we've had them in the specialties as well.

TravelCat was very disappointed with the buffet ... as is her right, of course. We've had very good luck there, and if I ask for a dish I don't like I can always go back and get something else!

To each his own ...

Mura

That is what is great about Oceania. The amount of choices we get is wonderful. Something for everyone, even the grill at night.

Agree - I could have Jacques' lobster Thermidor every week and never get tired of it.:D

That lobster Thermidor is beyond delicious. On our first O cruise, I had eaten so much before it was served, that I couldn't really enjoy it. I went to Jacques later in the cruise to beg (literally beg) for another opportunity to really enjoy the lobster Thermidor. I did get that second reservation.

well last week in Terrace I had the best prime rib...would put Lawerys to shame, 1 inch thick, and fondant potato puffs along with ecellent Oysters Rockerfeller and Mussels provincial and several giant scampi and a perfefect apple Strudel with vanila sauce ...

The night before had a perfect veal Oscar, with escargot in croute, Forrest mushroom tribal . to warm up Scallops, Calamari and a smoked duck and eggplant tureen

Wife just had 2 perfect lobster tails, with california rolls and chilled crab claws.

The mornings usually saute mushrooms, Grilled tomato, and flawless eggs Benedict

Naturaly I can understand why people avoid the terrace...

well last week in Terrace I had the best prime rib...would put Lawerys to shame, 1 inch thick, and fondant potato puffs along with ecellent Oysters Rockerfeller and Mussels provincial and several giant scampi and a perfefect apple Strudel with vanila sauce ...

The night before had a perfect veal Oscar, with escargot in croute, Forrest mushroom tribal . to warm up Scallops, Calamari and a smoked duck and eggplant tureen

Wife just had 2 perfect lobster tails, with california rolls and chilled crab claws.

The mornings usually saute mushrooms, Grilled tomato, and flawless eggs Benedict

Naturaly I can understand why people avoid the terrace...

I avoid it when I can ...the food is just too perfect to believe :rolleyes:

I avoid it when I can ...the food is just too perfect to believe :rolleyes:

Over the years, I have discovered that many of the items in the terrace are also menue items in Polo, Toscana, Red Ginger, Jacques , and it is entirely possible to cherry pick , like a dim sum, to create a wonderful selection of the best from the best as you mood strikes you.. Its the same stuff that you get in specialitys...... and I might add as good or better than La Reserve...create your own 8 courses.... and enjoy