AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

I have not found anyone on our sailing of April 20th in over a year, however I have found some great info on this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I, too, have found great info on this thread. I read a lot of threads! Cruise Critic has been very helpful over the years.

Allyson

Anyone have recommendations for transfers from Prague to Nuremburg? There are many options I see online, but recommendations from you all are preferred. We won't be purchasing the AMA's transfer as we plan to visit Prague independently prior to our sailing.

We won't be purchasing the AMA's transfer as we plan to visit Prague independently prior to our sailing.

Although you are visiting Prague independently prior to the cruise, should you wish, you can purchase the AMA transfer from Prague to Nuremburg. You would just have to meet the departing AMA guests at whatever hotel they are staying at.

We are doing something similar at the end of our cruise in Vilshofen, Germany, as the post-cruise AMA transfer included an excursion to Regensburg en route to Prague. We have private arrangements to stay in Prague.

That said, I expect there are several other private options you could take to get from Prague to Nuremburg.

I agree with Mark2. We are doing the same thing. We arranged our own hotel in Prague and booked the transfer with Ama.

We did that, too. Booked the transfer with AmaWaterways, then booked our hotel and private excursions in Prague, on our own.

We stayed at the Savic Hotel in Prague and had a wonderful private guide, Eva Trkalova.

http://www.trkalova.guide-prague.cz

We leave for Prague on the 14th. All of our transfers, and hotels in Prague and Budapest are through AMA. We will have 2 days on our own in Prague where I have booked private tours with Tours By Locals. After that we will start our 3 day pre-cruise with AMA. At the end of the cruise, we have 3 nights on our own in Budapest. We will do two private tours with gabriella@privatetoursbudapest.com. In my opinion, AMA prices for transfer, and hotels were reasonable. From my correspondence with AMA, their optional excursions seem to be a reasonable prices also. I will post upon my return, early May, helpful info.

Although you are visiting Prague independently prior to the cruise, should you wish, you can purchase the AMA transfer from Prague to Nuremburg. You would just have to meet the departing AMA guests at whatever hotel they are staying at.

We are doing something similar at the end of our cruise in Vilshofen, Germany, as the post-cruise AMA transfer included an excursion to Regensburg en route to Prague. We have private arrangements to stay in Prague.

That said, I expect there are several other private options you could take to get from Prague to Nuremburg.

I agree with Mark2. We are doing the same thing. We arranged our own hotel in Prague and booked the transfer with Ama.

We did that, too. Booked the transfer with AmaWaterways, then booked our hotel and private excursions in Prague, on our own.

We stayed at the Savic Hotel in Prague and had a wonderful private guide, Eva Trkalova.

http://www.trkalova.guide-prague.cz

Thank you all so much! Great feedback. I'll find out where the AMA hotel will be so we can at least choose a place somewhat nearby. We'll plan to book their transfer and meet up with other folks on our sailing that morning.

We leave for Prague on the 14th. All of our transfers, and hotels in Prague and Budapest are through AMA. We will have 2 days on our own in Prague where I have booked private tours with Tours By Locals. After that we will start our 3 day pre-cruise with AMA. At the end of the cruise, we have 3 nights on our own in Budapest. We will do two private tours with gabriella@privatetoursbudapest.com. In my opinion, AMA prices for transfer, and hotels were reasonable. From my correspondence with AMA, their optional excursions seem to be a reasonable prices also. I will post upon my return, early May, helpful info.

At the end of your cruise where you have 3 nights on your own in Budapest, is that hotel also booked through AMA, or did you book your own?

The primary reason we don't want to book an AMA hotel is because we are "off the beaten path" types of people, i.e. no chains, prefer small, independent, locally-owned apartments or pensions. Of course, we don't ALWAYS travel this way. Just depends on the circumstances, where we are, what's feasible with our budget and the time we have. Lots to consider.

Looking forward to your report when you return!

In Budapest, we stay at the Sofitel Chain Bridge. This was booked through AMA. They will transfer us from the ship to hotel. At the end of our 3 days, AMA will transfer us to the airport.

Dumb question - Bear with me...AMA's hotel in Prague will be the Intercontinental for our sailing. There is a hotel that I like that is only an 8-minute walk from the Intercontinental. At first thought, it seems very easy to make this walk in order to meet the transfer at the Intercontinental, however, am I kidding myself regarding walking in Prague in mid-December (probably wearing a ski jacket) pulling luggage?

We are able-bodied and sort of young (middle aged is still young, right? ;) )...but I started to wonder if we would really want to make a walk in cold weather and through their old town (cobblestone??) streets, with luggage in tow. If not, then it really doesn't matter where we stay. We can just Uber to the Intercontinental, and stay further away.

That's a bit of a ramble, but does anyone have an opinion on that?

Edited by TravlGrl

Are you sure it is the Intercontinental? That is where we were staying, and after I booked, they changed us to The Cosmopolitan.

Are you sure it is the Intercontinental? That is where we were staying, and after I booked, they changed us to The Cosmopolitan.

DH called today and they said it was the Intercontinental. I'll ask him to double check that though. Wouldn't be the first time we were given incorrect information. :rolleyes:

DH called today and they said it was the Intercontinental. I'll ask him to double check that though. Wouldn't be the first time we were given incorrect information. :rolleyes:

I would stay wherever and just Uber. That is what we are doing on the 19th. I called Ama and the rep said it was one hotel but when I received my paperwork it is another hotel. Things change especially so far away.

Dumb question - Bear with me...AMA's hotel in Prague will be the Intercontinental for our sailing. There is a hotel that I like that is only an 8-minute walk from the Intercontinental. At first thought, it seems very easy to make this walk in order to meet the transfer at the Intercontinental, however, am I kidding myself regarding walking in Prague in mid-December (probably wearing a ski jacket) pulling luggage?

We are able-bodied and sort of young (middle aged is still young, right? ;) )...but I started to wonder if we would really want to make a walk in cold weather and through their old town (cobblestone??) streets, with luggage in tow. If not, then it really doesn't matter where we stay. We can just Uber to the Intercontinental, and stay further away.

That's a bit of a ramble, but does anyone have an opinion on that?

If you are asking this question you already know the answer.

Take Uber or another form of taxi!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are asking this question you already know the answer.

Take Uber or another form of taxi!

I did not know the answer or I wouldn't have asked! We've never been to Eastern Europe.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I would stay wherever and just Uber. That is what we are doing on the 19th. I called Ama and the rep said it was one hotel but when I received my paperwork it is another hotel. Things change especially so far away.

I just read the same on another thread. Changing hotels seems to be common, apparently.

I did not know the answer or I wouldn't have asked! We've never been to Eastern Europe.

Read your OP once again, especially the second paragraph.

If you have doubts about schlepping luggage in winter weather along cobblestone streets you should take Uber or a taxi.

We booked an apartment in Prague at Residence Retezova. http://www.retezova.com/

Very nice! I just received an overnight package from Ama stating that the departure hotel for transfer is the Intercontinental for us. On our previous paperwork it was another hotel.

Doesn't really matter to us as we are staying at the Four Seasons and would Uber to whichever hotel it was going to be but glad they got it to me before we left.

We did a private tour with Gabriella before our Ama cruise last November and she was great! We told her the places that were important to us to visit in Budapest and we went to all of them and more. We were both glad we took the tour with her as the panoramic tour included with Ama alone would have been insufficient. I hope you'll have a great cruise. We loved our trip and highly recommend Ama to everyone who asks about it.

Very nice! I just received an overnight package from Ama stating that the departure hotel for transfer is the Intercontinental for us. On our previous paperwork it was another hotel.

Doesn't really matter to us as we are staying at the Four Seasons and would Uber to whichever hotel it was going to be but glad they got it to me before we left.

We'll be booking our transfer but based on everything I've read, we'll need to confirm it before we go as well.

We did a private tour with Gabriella before our Ama cruise last November and she was great! We told her the places that were important to us to visit in Budapest and we went to all of them and more. We were both glad we took the tour with her as the panoramic tour included with Ama alone would have been insufficient. I hope you'll have a great cruise. We loved our trip and highly recommend Ama to everyone who asks about it.

What did you see with Gabriella that you really liked?

We'll be booking our transfer but based on everything I've read, we'll need to confirm it before we go as well.

When you get your docs, there will be a voucher for your transfer. This will tell you the departure

When you get your docs, there will be a voucher for your transfer. This will tell you the departure

Yes, but as in our case they still switched hotels from the one on our documents and did overnight us new documents. I got the new ones on Monday and we leave Sunday.