AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

Anyone else on the Port Wine & Flamenco Douro river cruise that embarks on July 25, 2017?

We're doing the pre-cruise in Lisbon and the post-cruise in Madrid.

You might try starting a roll call for your particular cruise in the All River Cruise Roll Calls section.

Allyson

Our docs arrived from AMA. We leave two weeks from tomorrow. Glad the docs arrived. In the box we're very important items that we would definitely need I. E. vouchers for transfer to and from airports, hotel vouchers, and coupons for on board credits.. There is also an itinerary guide, which lists all excursions and optional excursions. There is also an information book on areas. Plus, awesome luggage tags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our docs arrived from AMA. We leave two weeks from tomorrow. Glad the docs arrived. In the box we're very important items that we would definitely need I. E. vouchers for transfer to and from airports, hotel vouchers, and coupons for on board credits.. There is also an itinerary guide, which lists all excursions and optional excursions. There is also an information book on areas. Plus, awesome luggage tags.

Hi, I agree, AMA sends some really nice documents and those luggage tags are pretty awesome:D

But in fact you won't need those vouchers: when you arrive, someone will have your name on a clipboard and you'll be good to go.

I understand that we may not need the Voucher, however I like to travel with receipts and vouchers just in case we would be questioned. When I booked Gate to Gate at the Frankfurt, they said voucher should not be needed, but ever now and again a driver will request.

Doing this intinerray in July. Pls post review, impressions, suggestions etc

Have agreat trip

Carole

Will do! May be a while as I have a busy week when we return. We will not return until April 30th. If I forget, email me at jim816@aol.com. Just tell me what you want in the subject line.

They are quite a few optional excursion at additional cost. Our you doing Prague pre cruise?

Doktor, enjoy your cruise. Post a review when you get back.

Ama is one of our favorite lines!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey all of you experienced Christmas Markets river cruisers! We've been booked on AmaSerena for quite awhile now, departing Budapest for Nuremburg December 4. I was poking around on the Ama website today and am thinking of talking to DH about making a change.

Looking at switching to AmaStella for their November 22 sailing, same itinerary, just earlier.

Thanksgiving is November 23 this year, so one of the perks would be two free days off for me (I still work and have somewhat limited vacation time).

My question is this -- If we switched to a November 22 sailing from the original December 4 sailing, are we risking some of the Christmas Markets not being open yet? The itinerary looks like this for both sail dates:

DAY1 – Nov 22 - EMBARKATION – BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

DAY2 – Nov 23 – BUDAPEST (this is Thanksgiving)

DAY3 – Nov 24 - VIENNA, AUSTRIA

DAY4 – Nov 25 - MELK – PASSAU, GERMANY

DAY5 – Nov 26 - PASSAU

DAY6 – Nov 27 - REGENSBURG

DAY7 – Nov 28 - NUREMBERG

DAY8 – Nov 29 - NUREMBERG – DISEMBARKATION

Hey all of you experienced Christmas Markets river cruisers! We've been booked on AmaSerena for quite awhile now, departing Budapest for Nuremburg December 4. I was poking around on the Ama website today and am thinking of talking to DH about making a change.

Looking at switching to AmaStella for their November 22 sailing, same itinerary, just earlier.

Thanksgiving is November 23 this year, so one of the perks would be two free days off for me (I still work and have somewhat limited vacation time).

My question is this -- If we switched to a November 22 sailing from the original December 4 sailing, are we risking some of the Christmas Markets not being open yet? The itinerary looks like this for both sail dates:

DAY1 – Nov 22 - EMBARKATION – BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

DAY2 – Nov 23 – BUDAPEST (this is Thanksgiving)

DAY3 – Nov 24 - VIENNA, AUSTRIA

DAY4 – Nov 25 - MELK – PASSAU, GERMANY

DAY5 – Nov 26 - PASSAU

DAY6 – Nov 27 - REGENSBURG

DAY7 – Nov 28 - NUREMBERG

DAY8 – Nov 29 - NUREMBERG – DISEMBARKATION

As it turns out, the November 22 sailing is mostly sold out, so we are now looking at the November 22 sailing on AmaViola. Though they are not calling it a Christmas Markets sailing (it's just considered Romantic Danube), it will indeed stop in towns that have Christmas Markets, at a substantially lower cost (I think we'll save something like $2,200 from what we're currently paying on our Dec 4 sailing!). Now we are considering this one instead.

DAY1 – Nov 22 - EMBARKATION – VILSHOFEN, GERMANY

DAY2 – Nov 23 - VILSHOFEN – PASSAU

DAY3 – Nov 24 - LINZ, AUSTRIA

DAY4 – Nov 25 - WEISSENKIRCHEN

DAY5 – Nov 26 - VIENNA

DAY6 – Nov 27 - BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA (No stop here in winter; providing more time in Vienna and Budapest)

DAY7 – Nov 28 - BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

DAY8 – Nov 29 - BUDAPEST – DISEMBARKATION

Anyone have any glaring red flags for me? Christmas Markets would be in Linz, Vienna and Budapest (but we may take a side trip to Salzburg as well).

As it turns out, the November 22 sailing is mostly sold out, so we are now looking at the November 22 sailing on AmaViola. Though they are not calling it a Christmas Markets sailing (it's just considered Romantic Danube), it will indeed stop in towns that have Christmas Markets, at a substantially lower cost (I think we'll save something like $2,200 from what we're currently paying on our Dec 4 sailing!). Now we are considering this one instead.

DAY1 – Nov 22 - EMBARKATION – VILSHOFEN, GERMANY

DAY2 – Nov 23 - VILSHOFEN – PASSAU

DAY3 – Nov 24 - LINZ, AUSTRIA

DAY4 – Nov 25 - WEISSENKIRCHEN

DAY5 – Nov 26 - VIENNA

DAY6 – Nov 27 - BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA (No stop here in winter; providing more time in Vienna and Budapest)

DAY7 – Nov 28 - BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

DAY8 – Nov 29 - BUDAPEST – DISEMBARKATION

Anyone have any glaring red flags for me? Christmas Markets would be in Linz, Vienna and Budapest (but we may take a side trip to Salzburg as well).

We took this itinerary during the summer. You will visit Melk Abbey which is wonderful. Also, jmo but go to Salzburg!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took this itinerary during the summer. You will visit Melk Abbey which is wonderful. Also, jmo but go to Salzburg!

I've heard that about the Abbey; thanks for confirming! Thanks also for the encouragement about Salzburg. I DO think we'll try to make that happen if we do indeed switch to this sailing instead.

The Melk Abbey is worth a stop, market or not.

Ditto re Salzburg, it's beautiful year round, but it must be magical at Christmas.IMG_1491082504.510218.jpg.f39d976c90e5c3864f7b47708db40fdb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMG_1491082406.712112.jpg.f18c85f30c1060c9e61b171d210f75fd.jpg

We've spent hours upon hours re-researching our river cruise, and have transferred our Dec 4th AmaSerena sailing to Dec 13 AmaStella instead. The dates end up working out better for the office, we are saving $, AND all Christmas markets will be open during this sailing...but now I'm even more excited about the Melk Abbey than I was before. :p

We've spent hours upon hours re-researching our river cruise, and have transferred our Dec 4th AmaSerena sailing to Dec 13 AmaStella instead. The dates end up working out better for the office, we are saving $, AND all Christmas markets will be open during this sailing...but now I'm even more excited about the Melk Abbey than I was before. :p

Melk Abbey is gorgeous! There is a great view of the river from there, too!

Allyson

I very much enjoyed Melk Abbey. It has the most amazing library. Take some time to look around the well-stocked small shop, the area specializes in producing Marillen, that is their word for apricots. The shop sells liqueur made from apricots.

Enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

You might try starting a roll call for your particular cruise in the All River Cruise Roll Calls section.

Allyson

Thanks, I did start a roll call and there has been zero response. I know the river cruise roll calls are typically not very active compared to ocean cruises.

I was hoping that by posting on the more "generic" AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings, I would find others who are going on Douro River sailings, too.

Thanks, I did start a roll call and there has been zero response. I know the river cruise roll calls are typically not very active compared to ocean cruises.

I was hoping that by posting on the more "generic" AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings, I would find others who are going on Douro River sailings, too.

I have had the same response - zero - to my roll call. It's just hard to have to read through all of the posts here. It is easier to meet people on river cruises and not as many people use the roll calls to set up tours, as they are included. Getting excited! Only 4 more months!