Best Princess Ship for Dancing every night

Cayoooga

Hi All,

I am looking to book a Caribbean cruise with Princess early in 2017. (January, February or March)

I would love current information on the ship that has the best Dancing (Ballroom and Latin), Dance floor and venues.

I know most ships and the newer ones only have dancing in the Piazza. I am looking for a lot more venues then just that.

If you could please comment on your personnel experience. Thanks

Hi All,

I am looking to book a Caribbean cruise with Princess early in 2017. (January, February or March)

I would love current information on the ship that has the best Dancing (Ballroom and Latin), Dance floor and venues.

I know most ships and the newer ones only have dancing in the Piazza. I am looking for a lot more venues then just that.

February 11, 2017.....an 8 night cruise to the ABC Islands--Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

This is a Valentines week cruise with good pricing. Should be alot of couples with a romantic theme :) Club Fusion usually has Dance activities, along with SkyWalkers (Disco) :) and im sure there will be dancing under the stars.

It should be a a great winter break cruise, during a romantic week, with smooth seas to some great ports.......

Sounds like a reason to dance to me. :cool:

Edited by blkspy

Hi All,

I don't have any info re dancing, but I sure like your avatar.

February 11, 2017.....an 8 night cruise to the ABC Islands--Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

This is a Valentines week cruise with good pricing. Should be alot of couples with a romantic theme :) Club Fusion usually has Dance activities, along with SkyWalkers (Disco) :) and im sure there will be dancing under the stars.

It should be a a great winter break cruise, during a romantic week, with smooth seas to some great ports.......

Sounds like a reason to dance to me. :cool:

Thanks blkspy,

I remember the Caribbean Princess does have some great dancing venues..

How are the current dancing activities Princess fleet wide? I would like to hear from some dancing Princess fans.;)

I like the ABC islands for the 1st world amenities, the great reefs and the southern most weather in the Caribbean. :cool: :)

The long in port times in Curacao and Aruba are definitely a big plus on this itinerary.

Hi All,

Princess Cruises only has 4 ships sailing the Caribbean in Jan, Feb and Mar 2017. They are the Royal & Regal Princess, which are sister ships, and the Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess.

The new ships Royal & Regal lack real venues for ballroom dancing. They do have frequent dancing in the Piazza with various types of music at various times, and many people dance there. The dance floor is marble, and the live music varies widely, including classical, classic rock, pop, big band, dixieland, disco, line dancing. There might also be a few dance sessions on the small dance floor in the Vista Lounge.

The Crown & Caribbean Princess, while not exactly sister ships are similar in design. They both have proper lounges for dancing including:

Club Fusion: generally pop, Latin, classic rock and other activities

Explorer's Lounge: Similar to Club Fusion

Wheelhouse Bar: Probably what you are looking for. In the past they have had a ballroom dance group that plays standard ballroom dance music like Latin, fox trot, waltz, quick step, tango, things like that. However, it has been reported that since the Gastro Pub has been added to the Wheelhouse Bar that some of this has been eliminated.

Piazza: Some dancing there also.

Sykwalker's: Late night club with DJ. I suppose you could request any songs, but expect most of the music will be club music. The dance floor is glass with lights.

Thanks blkspy,

I remember the Caribbean Princess does have some great dancing venues..

How are the current dancing activities Princess fleet wide? I would like to hear from some dancing Princess fans.;)

I like the ABC islands for the 1st world amenities, the great reefs and the southern most weather in the Caribbean. :cool: :)

The long in port times in Curacao and Aruba are definitely a big plus on this itinerary.

Long time no see!

As SKnight laid out very well, the Caribbean and the Crown will have similar dance venues if the Salty Dog is over on the Caribbean as well. With the Salty Dog you usually only have mood music, like a soloist guitarist, but every once in a while you get a guitarist that is great to dance to as well. (If the Salty dog is not on the Caribbean, you will have the "ballroom" dance venue there.)

From our more recent experience, it can be really hit or miss on dancing. Depends on the bands booked for the cruise. We've had great ones, and so-so ones. But you will have more space and more opportunities on the Crown/Caribbean rather than the new ones - and quite frankly, dancing in the concrete piazza can be painful.

BTW - Lot of speculation/interest on the 2017 Tahiti cruise. Up for another 28 dayer if it happens?

Long time no see!

As SKnight laid out very well, the Caribbean and the Crown will have similar dance venues if the Salty Dog is over on the Caribbean as well. With the Salty Dog you usually only have mood music, like a soloist guitarist, but every once in a while you get a guitarist that is great to dance to as well. (If the Salty dog is not on the Caribbean, you will have the "ballroom" dance venue there.)

From our more recent experience, it can be really hit or miss on dancing. Depends on the bands booked for the cruise. We've had great ones, and so-so ones. But you will have more space and more opportunities on the Crown/Caribbean rather than the new ones - and quite frankly, dancing in the concrete piazza can be painful.

BTW - Lot of speculation/interest on the 2017 Tahiti cruise. Up for another 28 dayer if it happens?

Princess Cruises only has 4 ships sailing the Caribbean in Jan, Feb and Mar 2017. They are the Royal & Regal Princess, which are sister ships, and the Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess.

The new ships Royal & Regal lack real venues for ballroom dancing. They do have frequent dancing in the Piazza with various types of music at various times, and many people dance there. The dance floor is marble, and the live music varies widely, including classical, classic rock, pop, big band, dixieland, disco, line dancing. There might also be a few dance sessions on the small dance floor in the Vista Lounge.

The Crown & Caribbean Princess, while not exactly sister ships are similar in design. They both have proper lounges for dancing including:

Club Fusion: generally pop, Latin, classic rock and other activities

Explorer's Lounge: Similar to Club Fusion

Wheelhouse Bar: Probably what you are looking for. In the past they have had a ballroom dance group that plays standard ballroom dance music like Latin, fox trot, waltz, quick step, tango, things like that. However, it has been reported that since the Gastro Pub has been added to the Wheelhouse Bar that some of this has been eliminated.

Piazza: Some dancing there also.

Sykwalker's: Late night club with DJ. I suppose you could request any songs, but expect most of the music will be club music. The dance floor is glass with lights.

Thanks sknight for the Great information!:)

Thanks and hello ccrain. The Tahiti cruise was great, but we need to discover more new places. TTYL ;)

Been on Ruby twice and loved the Wheelhouse bar for dancing. Had a nice wood floor. Royal class has dancing in Piazza and no wood floor. I know that makes a difference of you're doing ballroom dancing.

Edited by Pmorton3360

Just got off the Caribbean and danced a lot. Wheelhouse and Explorers and Fusion had music each night and all wood floors. Heaven! Music style was ballroom, country a little, old Rock, latin-a little of everything. Good bands, some times recorded. Sorry to hear but not surprised to hear that the newer ships have done away with most of it and sent dancers to the Piazza-not a dance venue but an atrium with that silly stone floor. Mirrors what Royal did and Celebrity is working on-try Caribbean soon before they haul her into some drydock someplace and add 100 new rooms, 6 new restaurants and destroy the dance floors!:(

Off Emerald Saturday, Jan. 30 after sailing 26 days.

We always seek after the opportunity for ballroom and latin dancing, especially at Club Fusion, due to the size of floor.

On recent Emerald sailing,

Wheelhouse lounge; Almost every night after 8:45 or 9pm, Domino Duo played first 10 days and switched to Rhumba Jazz Duo on the rest (and current). They provided with good mix of ballroom and latin music when they see dancers on the floor.

Club Fusion; Pre-recorded music was played unattended when there is no activity there. On the first two days of our cruise, there was no chance of dancing there. So we thought Princess would cancel the Ballroom dance date/brits sessions and we started thinking to have our cruises to, maybe, Cunard ships.

Although the music pre-recorded is not perfect but is mixed with all standard ballroom and latin. Also merengue, westcoast(two steps or polka), salsa, mambo and even bolero are heard.

I was told the pre-recorded is made at the head office with loyalty paid and the ship can not modify it. Only the ship can do is to play shuffled. So one night many tango music were played, the other night many cha cha and foxtrot music were played. The first night we attended the medley of Viennese waltz was played for more than 45 minutes, that was complained to CD, Frank, and was fixed at the next.

I think the improvement is still needed in the selection of music. The tempo of some waltz music is between slow(English) waltz and Viennese.

The pre-recorded session is usually held from 5:30 or 6pm and many guests may not be able to attend due to the conflict with dinner time. Therefore one to three couples on the floor of Club Fusion most times and it is good for people who use large space.

This is our experience on Emerald and we hope Princess will continue the pre-recorded Ballroom and Latin dance date sessions.

Despite the type of floor in the Atrium of the Royal and Regal, the dance floor is full most nights. When we've been on the ships with the Explorer's lounge, only a handful of people would be in there dancing. I often felt embarrassed for the band because so few people paid them any attention.

Now that they are out in the Atrium of the new ships, they always draw crowds.

We enjoy seeing the fun they are having and sometimes I can drag DH out on the floor for a slow dance. :D

Off Emerald Saturday, Jan. 30 after sailing 26 days.

We always seek after the opportunity for ballroom and latin dancing, especially at Club Fusion, due to the size of floor.

On recent Emerald sailing,

Wheelhouse lounge; Almost every night after 8:45 or 9pm, Domino Duo played first 10 days and switched to Rhumba Jazz Duo on the rest (and current). They provided with good mix of ballroom and latin music when they see dancers on the floor.

Club Fusion; Pre-recorded music was played unattended when there is no activity there. On the first two days of our cruise, there was no chance of dancing there. So we thought Princess would cancel the Ballroom dance date/brits sessions and we started thinking to have our cruises to, maybe, Cunard ships.

Although the music pre-recorded is not perfect but is mixed with all standard ballroom and latin. Also merengue, westcoast(two steps or polka), salsa, mambo and even bolero are heard.

I was told the pre-recorded is made at the head office with loyalty paid and the ship can not modify it. Only the ship can do is to play shuffled. So one night many tango music were played, the other night many cha cha and foxtrot music were played. The first night we attended the medley of Viennese waltz was played for more than 45 minutes, that was complained to CD, Frank, and was fixed at the next.

I think the improvement is still needed in the selection of music. The tempo of some waltz music is between slow(English) waltz and Viennese.

The pre-recorded session is usually held from 5:30 or 6pm and many guests may not be able to attend due to the conflict with dinner time. Therefore one to three couples on the floor of Club Fusion most times and it is good for people who use large space.

This is our experience on Emerald and we hope Princess will continue the pre-recorded Ballroom and Latin dance date sessions.

Most of the ships we've been on over the past couple of years have an early "canned" music session in Explorer's and one later in Fusion - typically DJ'ed. (Of course Skywalkers is always canned, but "live" DJ'ed.) The DJ'ed sessions are always better because the production staff usually forgets to hit the random button on the canned sessions and we are faced with 5 cha-cha's, 5 rhumbas, 5 Viennese waltzes, 5 foxtrots, then repeat...something a live DJ would recognize and fix right away...

A note to the CD in the morning mail typically solves this problems for a few days, until someone forgets to hit the right button again...

It can get frustrating at times...but the good news is that on the Grand class, there is always another venue around...

Looking forward to checking out the dancing on the Grand in just over 2 weeks. On our only other Princess cruise, Diamond out of Sydney, the staff member who taught the dancing came in one night to load up his dance music. We had talked to him and he was originally from our home city in Canada and he was happy to provide us with something new to dance to.

snow bunny

Looking forward to checking out the dancing on the Grand in just over 2 weeks. On our only other Princess cruise, Diamond out of Sydney, the staff member who taught the dancing came in one night to load up his dance music. We had talked to him and he was originally from our home city in Canada and he was happy to provide us with something new to dance to.

snow bunny

the Grand has Vista, not Fusion, so dancing there will be limited since they will use for the secondary entertainment venue (Motor City, Comedians, etc.) That will free up Explorer's for the "party" band venue. Not sure if Grand has Salty Dog or not - but it has the small wheelhouse - so probably not. That will give you at least two really good dance floors during the evening...

But the really nice thing about the Grand is One5. Unlike Skywalker's, One5 has a wooden dance floor, or at least it did the last time we were on it. Makes for much better dancing, and the sound system is pretty good too...One5 is a really nice venue as well. We really prefer it to Skywalker's.

We are also very interested in dancing on the ships, We have tried many and in our opinion the Princess ships have the most variety and room for dancing. The best ones are Emerald, Crown and Ruby because of Club Fusion, Explorers lounge and Wheelhouse Bar. The only problem we have had on these ships are when there is a large group of dancers on board. Last year club fusion was rented out by them every night and we were not allowed to use it which thought was unfair and complained, but it fell on deaf ears. When Club Fushion is not available for public use, it also effects the dancing in explorers lounge because that is used for other Princess shows. therefore we always try to make sure there are no large groups on board. We check their Websites to find out what cruises they are on and avoid them.

• 2 years later...

It's true - Princess has made a mockery of dancing in the Wheelhouse on the Royal and Regal. The new 'floor' is a marble circle in the hallway where you have to dodge passengers working their way from the Vista to other venues midship. We dance there anyhow, move furniture around, etc and submit comment cards asking Princess to rework the area. It's a better situation on the ships with a real Wheelhouse (e.g. Emerald, Crown, ...). In terms of bands we have always found that they have what we call a 'party band' and another 'dance band'. The party bands are kind-of ok to dance too but it gets old (and too loud) real fast and they don't play enough Latin, Waltz, Tango, etc. The lounge/dance bands have been great and we generally follow them around (dodging passengers in the Wheelhouse hallway...). Keep the pressure up on Princess, the venues, the performers, etc. ...

In our opinion the new ships, Royal and Regal Princess would not meet your requirements.

We've had some great dancing on the other ships, but have learned to book Anytime dining if we really want to do ballroom dance. The major times they cater to ballroom are early evening, while first seating traditional dining is in progress. As soon as that seating lets out, the venues are changed to game shows, shows, or other non-ballroom entertainment.

It seems luck of the draw whether you will have canned or live music.

We are ballroom dancers and only cruise on ships that have reasonable dance floors and nightly dance music because that's one of the biggest reasons we like to cruise. Here is our experience:

For Princess, the Coral and the Island have the best dance floors in the Wheelhouse bar. We've found that they always have multiple sets of live music in the evening. Explorer is always an option but can be hit and miss depending on other activities. Same with Club Fusion (Coral). In the "Grand" class ships, look for the Wheelhouse bar by the Princess Theater for the best floors. We stay away from the ships that have the Wheelhouse bar by the Photo section as they have a very small floor. Because we really enjoy dancing, we don't do any of the newer ships because of the lack of dance floors. Pacific Princess has a great dance floor but it's on deck 10 at the front of the ship so can be rocky (but a great ship to sail on!)

We also cruise on Celebrity Millennium class ships. They have the Rendezvous bar, smaller dance floor but okay most times. Have multiple dance sets nightly. Can be crowded on transatlantic and transpacific cruises as well as those on the West Coast (lots of dancers in Vancouver and Southern California.)

We did one cruise on HAL Rotterdam. Small dance floor on one of the main decks but live music was not every night. There was a big floor on a a higher deck but the live music was jazz which we danced to a few times.

We've sailed the Queen Mary, great dance floor. There was quite a bit of pre-recorded sequence dancing but we just danced in the middle. Live music was good but crowded so later was better. Haven't had the opportunity to try the nightclub yet as when we sailed smoking was still allowed. We are sailing the QE in October so will see how that ship is soon!

We're the same as Times-Prince, we book anytime dining so we can be flexible whatever the dance schedule turns out to be.

Hope this is helpful!