Regal - dining tips?

j3000

...so... me again (loving this forum BTW :) ) booked for Regal in April. Signed up for AnyTime Dining. Don't intend to go to the additional-fee restaurants.

Just looking for any "dining tips" from folks who've been on the Regal.

Where to dine? When to dine? Don't miss this! Don't go here! etc. etc etc.

Do I have to sign up for any reservations or booking times anywhere? is there anywhere I should check out early -or late? etc etc etc.

best spot for coffee/breakfast? lunch? dinner? desserts/snacks???

Don't want to miss out on anything. Hoping to gain at least 5 lbs. :cool:

anything you'd like to share - from your experience.

all comments,tips appreciated!! bon apetite!

Edited by jargey3000

My advice is go to Alfredos for lunch when you embark. It's such a nice relaxing (tasty!) way to start the trip!

Take advantage of the outdoor seating by the Outrigger bar outside of Horizon court. Outrigger itself is just a great place overall for views and drinks.

If you decide to get a coffee card, note that there is an espresso bar in the pastry shop in Horizon court for cappuccinos and whatnot. Saves a trip to the International Cafe if you're up in that area.

Enjoy! :D

...so... me again (loving this forum BTW :) ) booked for Regal in April. Signed up for AnyTime Dining. Don't intend to go to the additional-fee restaurants.

Do I have to sign up for any reservations or booking times anywhere? is there anywhere I should check out early -or late? etc etc etc.

You do not have to have reservations for ATD. Just show up. But, there are some things that are helpful to make it easier. On the Regal the Symphony DR, deck 5 mid ship will open around 5pm for ATD. Caribbean Cruise? In this market the passengers tend to dine early so by 6pm the DR is normally pretty full. A table to share is normally easier to get. At 7:30 the Concerto DR opens for ATD doubling the amount of tables available. If you like to dine late just show up and ask for a table. If you like to dine early you may or may not have some difficulty, and you may have to wait. Most ships do accept limited reservations for ATD by calling the DINE line in the morning. ATD can be a little chaotic on boarding day.

Trans Atlantic? My experience is that passengers dining time preferences are more spread out and it is fairly easy to just show up and get a table.

Espresso: International Cafe if you like espresso drinks consider the Coffee Card. You can also get espresso drinks in the Pastry Shop at the buffet and at Princess Live Cafe.

Otherwise, Horizon Terrace. Sit down and you will be served coffee, no charge.

Snacks, desserts: International cafe open 24/7. Ice Cream Bar by the pool free soft ice cream all day and evening. The buffet is open from 5am to midnight

Check out Alfred's for lunch or dinner or anytime from 11am to 11pm. Waiter served pizza, calzone, salads and other items. No Charge.

Making a res for Anytime Dining dining kind of defeats the purpose of just heading to the dining room and eating dinner when you like.

Every ship does this differently and it depends on the MD.

We sailed the Regal and did just that. Never had any issues.

We really enjoyed the HC buffet and heading out back and sitting outside!

Alfredo's for lunch is a great relaxing idea and the MDR was pityfully slow, after 1 1/2 hrs. all we had was the appetizer so we left and never came back and lots of people were complaining. IC is great and the steak house was also good. Enjoy the Regal it's a great ship.

We have noticed the MDR's being much busier on formal nights.

I would advise making reservations for ATD. We just got off the Regal on Sunday and the first two nights were a disaster. We waited almost an hour to get a pager, then another 30 minutes once we had the pager. After the first two nights, everything was normal (5-10 minute wait). I'm not sure if this was just an anomaly, but we've never experienced anything like this before.

I have sailed on lot cruises , but this will be our first Princess cruise on the Regal . have done MTD on several ships never had made reservations and never have waited for more than 15-30 minutes and that's a bad night. . Why is Princess such a cluster on MTD?? Every other cruise line seems to have it figured out. Just curious .

I would advise making reservations for ATD. We just got off the Regal on Sunday and the first two nights were a disaster. We waited almost an hour to get a pager, then another 30 minutes once we had the pager. After the first two nights, everything was normal (5-10 minute wait). I'm not sure if this was just an anomaly, but we've never experienced anything like this before.

Approx. what time was this jack? Early? Late? thanks.

I second Alfredo's. We ate there quite a few times over our two weeks, always good! Perfect spot to avoid the crowds on embarkation day.

Other tips?

MD dine early or late.

Crown is worth the charge, Sabitini's isn't

There is a smoothie bar at the Lido (central) pool most days, but is only open until 3pm

There are fresh scones and toppings every day at the buffet, at 330pm.

High Tea (no charge) in one of the dining rooms at 330pm also (check the patter, on the back where the dining venues/times are listed)

If you buy a coffee card, they only punch for specialty coffees, regular/decaf coffee and bagged tea are free (in the IC, with the card)

If you get the Ultimate Beverage Package, the ice cream from Gelatos (in the Piazza) is also included

Enjoy!

Deb

Edited by callmedeb

Most of our dinners were in the Concerto MDR where we found the service to be outstanding and the food excellent! We typically had breakfast in the Horizon Terrace, and lunch in the Concerto or the pool area. One afternoon we treated ourselves to the Sanctuary and ordered from the spa lunch menu, delicious! Our last night we splurged and took the family to the Crown Grille and it was outstanding -- try the Ribeye! The International Cafe was wonderful for coffee and expresso drinks as well as pastries in the morning, late night snacks (panini's, etc.) Enjoy, and don't worry about the added pounds!