When is best time to buy cruise?

Moiradan

I've just gotten off the Voyager of the Seas and want to go on again in a year (so Jan 2017). Is right now the best time to buy, price wise? Does anyone know how Royal Caribbean scales its fares as time gets closer to the sailing date? Hoping to maximise savings :-)

IMO the best thing to do is book the cabin you like whenever and then monitor the price with a price tracker... I use cruise fish ;) Usually you'll get a good price at somo point throughout the year... WOW sale... or just another random sale

The best time to book is when you find the cruise and cabin that you want at a price that you like. Then watch for price drops and if the cruise price drops, call in and ask them to match it.

I booked a couple of 2017 cruises when they were first announced because they fit in with other travel plans that were already in place. Since then I've been watching for price drops on the two and they have increased by 50% already.

Go figure.

The best time to book is when you find the cruise and cabin that you want at a price that you like. Then watch for price drops and if the cruise price drops, call in and ask them to match it.

I booked a couple of 2017 cruises when they were first announced because they fit in with other travel plans that were already in place. Since then I've been watching for price drops on the two and they have increased by 50% already.

Go figure.

cabin hogger lol

I have learned over the years that the best time to book is AS SOON AS THE ITINERARY BECOMES AVAILABLE!!

We love the longer itineraries, and those are the ones that everyone else loves as well. They usually book pretty fast, and as they do, the price starts going up.

If you can catch it the First Day, you'll get the cabin you want, and before the price starts going up as it books. Then, if the price does go down, you can always take advantage of that, too.

Moiradan - what country are you booking from? My guess is Australia. You need to find out the booking rules for that country, which I'm sure are different from the US booking rules. Folks have been giving you advice based on the US booking rules.

I've just gotten off the Voyager of the Seas and want to go on again in a year (so Jan 2017). Is right now the best time to buy, price wise? Does anyone know how Royal Caribbean scales its fares as time gets closer to the sailing date? Hoping to maximise savings :-)

Whenever you feel the price is right.

Moiradan - what country are you booking from? My guess is Australia. You need to find out the booking rules for that country, which I'm sure are different from the US booking rules. Folks have been giving you advice based on the US booking rules.

Yes Australia... so maybe the rules are different. I will look into it. The price seems really good right now, so now or never I think! :-)

OP was going to pose same question. Looking at an early May sailing out of SJU

bit different for me, rather last minute booking, final payment is due in few weeks.

rate is decent, not stellar & I see at least 25 cabins in class I want to book

I've seen some huge price dips on CCL sailings after final payment. No idea if RCCL follows suit but would hate to book 'too soon'.

Yes 138east is correct.. definitely worth checking as the period where you can cancel/rebook etc without penalty is more restrictive in Australia than the US

Cancel without loss of deposit >150 days for Australia and >75 days for US

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cassalou

Yes Australia... so maybe the rules are different. I will look into it. The price seems really good right now, so now or never I think! :-)

If the price is right for you - book it. If you are in a country that cannot take advantage of a lower fare should one come along - DO NOT LOOK at the price after booking.

Honestly - a cruise is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. Right now you "feel" the price is good. So I say go for it and don't look back!

If the price is right for you - book it. If you are in a country that cannot take advantage of a lower fare should one come along - DO NOT LOOK at the price after booking!

Haha great advice! But it's sooo tempting just to "check" [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP was going to pose same question. Looking at an early May sailing out of SJU

bit different for me, rather last minute booking, final payment is due in few weeks.

rate is decent, not stellar & I see at least 25 cabins in class I want to book

I've seen some huge price dips on CCL sailings after final payment. No idea if RCCL follows suit but would hate to book 'too soon'.

With other lines, I have followed this rule and seem to get the best deals shortly after final payment is due. The cruise line knows who is confirmed and if it's not selling as well they drop the price. Of course, if the cruise is selling well, the price might not come down and can go up. Have not tried this with RCCL as I have never sailed with them before. Would love to hear options who have waited until final payment is due to book.

Edited by mnjcruiser

I would echo the comments of those who say book the cabin you want when you see a price you're happy with. Having done that, don't keep checking the price and DO NOT compare prices with other cruisers onboard or on your roll call.

Be aware that RCCL don't offer a price drop guarantee to Australians. If you you book a cruise and then the price drops - stiff cheese! Having said that, my in-laws were able to cancel their trans-Pacific cruise and rebook. Even though they lost their deposit they still came out about $1,000 ahead. :)

Another difference between the USA and Australian markets is that we see a lot of last minute discounting down under. If you're willing to take the gamble or if you are flexible regarding which cruise line/ship/itinerary/cabin it can be worth waiting until a about month out. Of course there is always a danger you will miss out. :eek:

For cruise bargains in Australia (all cruise lines) check out this thread on the Aussie/NZ Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2085587&page=117

Thanks everyone! So if you book, they will generally match the price if it later drops? Good to know...

Nooooooooo. That's not the rule in Aus unfortunately! :-(

What you pay is what you pay. That's why I wait until it's a great price! (Unless you want a specific cabin!)

I think it's all about planning and how flexible you are with dates. If you want to guarantee a cruise for a specific time in the distant future then I'd say book as early as possible, during a sale period.

If, on the other hand, you can just pick and choose a cruise any time with a near sailing date, then you might try your luck with some last-minute offers. Recently I looked at the Radiance (sailing out of SYD) and about 3-4 weeks before the cruise they had a "mini-suite" guarantee at an incredibly low price of 3,561 AUD (combined price for 2 pax for a 12 night cruise). But I think you have to be very lucky (and quick) to catch such deals, plus I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of cruises never have such late offers...

As an earlier poster has already noted, booking rules are different depending on the market in which the ticket is sold (and regardless of the nationality of the cruiser).

In Europe, and more specifically the Nordic market, the following rules apply regarding penalties. Cancellation:

1 day or less before departure: 100% of the cruise fare;

From 2 until 14 days before departure: 50% of the cruise fare;

From 15 until 30 days before departure: 15% of the cruise fare; and

More than 30 days before departure: 5% of the cruise fare.

Thus, in any case there will always be a penalty for cancellation.

As for final payment, it is due no later than 35 days before departure.

As an earlier poster has already noted, booking rules are different depending on the market in which the ticket is sold (and regardless of the nationality of the cruiser).

In Europe, and more specifically the Nordic market, the following rules apply regarding penalties. Cancellation:

1 day or less before departure: 100% of the cruise fare;

From 2 until 14 days before departure: 50% of the cruise fare;

From 15 until 30 days before departure: 15% of the cruise fare; and

More than 30 days before departure: 5% of the cruise fare.

Thus, in any case there will always be a penalty for cancellation.

As for final payment, it is due no later than 35 days before departure.

Interesting, I did not realize that final payment had a different due date for different markets.

With other lines, I have followed this rule and seem to get the best deals shortly after final payment is due. The cruise line knows who is confirmed and if it's not selling as well they drop the price. Of course, if the cruise is selling well, the price might not come down and can go up. Have not tried this with RCCL as I have never sailed with them before. Would love to hear options who have waited until final payment is due to book.

Will pose this question in another thread to try and gain opinions.