Which Western Caribbean itinerary?

Based on this post, which cruise seems best for me?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Based on this post, which cruise seems best for me?

• Freedom - Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
    • Liberty - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth
    • Allure - Cozumel, Falmouth, Labadee

Hello again. If you saw or didn't see my last post, I am considering going on a Royal Caribbean cruise for after my high school graduation this year. I particularly thought of the Western Caribbean.

Options I thought of included:

Freedom - sailing from Port Canaveral to Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Liberty - sailing from Galveston to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth

Allure - sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee

- Ship factors -

- I've been on the Freedom before, but not in more than half a decade.

- What drew me to think of the Liberty (I have not been on her before), was her upgrades. I'd especially go on those water slides!

- Actually I have mixed thoughts on the Allure. I have not been on her before, but after three cruises on the Oasis, the sheer size of the Oasis-class is starting to overwhelm me a little.

- Ports of call -

Cozumel - All the options I thought of include this port. The Mayan ruins are definitely something I'd go see at this port.

Falmouth - All the options I thought of include this port. I haven't been to this port before. It seems like a very adventurous, exhilarating port, but I'm not sure if it's exactly safe. I had this concern before I went to Nassau, but I never ran into any issues, and in fact that port exceeded my expectations, so maybe I could give this port a chance.

Grand Cayman - I'd engage in a lot of water activities for sure ;)

Labadee - For me, this port sounds like it'd be a LOT of fun :D

Aside from a poll I have put up on this post, I'm open to your opinions, suggestions and ideas. :)

Ship choice: the Allure attractions are old hat to you, so deciding between the extra port with Freedom, and the slides on Liberty, take the extra port!

Falmouth: get to the Blue Hole (better than onboard slides), and maybe some river tubing.

Coz: I'd recommend Chankanaab. Great snorkeling, ziplining on site, then get parents to spring for some time with the dolphins.

Grand Cayman: get out with the stingrays!

Labadee: great day at the beach. Giant zipline is expensive, but hey, you only HS graduate once!

Ship choice: the Allure attractions are old hat to you, so deciding between the extra port with Freedom, and the slides on Liberty, take the extra port!

Falmouth: get to the Blue Hole (better than onboard slides), and maybe some river tubing.

Coz: I'd recommend Chankanaab. Great snorkeling, ziplining on site, then get parents to spring for some time with the dolphins.

Grand Cayman: get out with the stingrays!

Labadee: great day at the beach. Giant zipline is expensive, but hey, you only HS graduate once!

Falmouth: what's the Blue Hole?

Cozumel: how much would ziplining cost compared to Labadee?

Grand Cayman: stingrays? oh jeez... :eek:

Labadee: is that the "extra port" in this case?

Probably the most popular attraction in Jamaica is Dunne's River Falls.

Grand Cayman swimming with the stingrays is nice since they're located within a secluded reef where you can also snorkel. They will give you a baby squid to feed the stingrays, place them on your back for a photo op or just hold them in your hands.

One caveat while walking in the water shuffle your feet along the bottom - don't pick them up and start walking - lol

Labadee is RCL's private beach resort. Zip-lining over the water will set you back $95 a trip. The best beach for swimming WITHOUT WATERSHOES is Columbus Cove - all the way in the back on the right. Nice white sand beach, steel band music, pavilion for BBQ that can be accessed by walking along the shoreline - by tram or by ferryboat from the dock next to the ship.

Cozumel - for a beach day either Senor Santos or Chankanaab

Probably the most popular attraction in Jamaica is Dunne's River Falls.

Grand Cayman swimming with the stingrays is nice since they're located within a secluded reef where you can also snorkel. They will give you a baby squid to feed the stingrays, place them on your back for a photo op or just hold them in your hands.

One caveat while walking in the water shuffle your feet along the bottom - don't pick them up and start walking - lol

Labadee is RCL's private beach resort. Zip-lining over the water will set you back $95 a trip. The best beach for swimming WITHOUT WATERSHOES is Columbus Cove - all the way in the back on the right. Nice white sand beach, steel band music, pavilion for BBQ that can be accessed by walking along the shoreline - by tram or by ferryboat from the dock next to the ship.

Cozumel - for a beach day either Senor Santos or Chankanaab

I wouldn't trust those stingrays on my back.

Have you checked airfare?

Factor in a pricey cab ride round trip from Port Canaveral, since the closest airport is about an hour away from port.

Consider that they have been having political unrest in Haiti. But, I assume if this continues they will replace Labadee with new port by then...

Factor in a pricey cab ride round trip from Port Canaveral, since the closest airport is about an hour away from port....

Shuttles charge $20 per person from MCO to Port Canaveral. One way car rentals can be had for around $50.

Shuttles charge $20 per person from MCO to Port Canaveral. One way car rentals can be had for around $50.

So for 3 people that would be $120 or $100 round trip which may or may not be a factor, especially when you add in the air fare.

But, maybe $$$ is not an issue?

So, to the original poster? What's important to you on a cruise?

Do you like a new big ship with all the bells and whistles or an older quiet ship?

Do you fly in the day before to enjoy the embarkation port or the day of?

What types of shore excursions appeal to you? Are you active, laid back, adventurous, history buff, etc.?

How old are you and your parents?

Which sailing would allow you to visit the most new countries that you have never been t before?

Are the 3 of you sharing a cabin?

I personally would look at the cost of airfare, pre-cruise hotel for 1 day, and round trip taxi cost for each embarkation port and add this to the cruise fare to compare apples to apples.

So for 3 people that would be $120 or $100 round trip which may or may not be a factor, especially when you add in the air fare.

But, maybe $$$ is not an issue?

So, to the original poster? What's important to you on a cruise?

Do you like a new big ship with all the bells and whistles or an older quiet ship?

Do you fly in the day before to enjoy the embarkation port or the day of?

What types of shore excursions appeal to you? Are you active, laid back, adventurous, history buff, etc.?

How old are you and your parents?

Which sailing would allow you to visit the most new countries that you have never been t before?

Are the 3 of you sharing a cabin?

I personally would look at the cost of airfare, pre-cruise hotel for 1 day, and round trip taxi cost for each embarkation port and add this to the cruise fare to compare apples to apples.

We always go on newer ships.

My dad takes charge of paying for flights, transportation, cruise fare, etc. We always fly in on the day of, but I don't think that's a good idea.

I'm a very active person.

I'm 18, my parents are in their early 50s.

All these sailings go to Cozumel and Falmouth. I have never been to Falmouth. I have sailed to the other three ports before, but that was so long ago that I don't remember.

I might have my own cabin for this sailing.

We're making our final decision tonight. I decided to eliminate Allure from my options, because the sheer size of the Oasis class is starting to overwhelm me a little. It turned out that the sailing I would've selected for Freedom doesn't have any available suites with cabins nearby, so I decided to go with Liberty.

We're making our final decision tonight. I decided to eliminate Allure from my options, because the sheer size of the Oasis class is starting to overwhelm me a little. It turned out that the sailing I would've selected for Freedom doesn't have any available suites with cabins nearby, so I decided to go with Liberty.

You can't go wrong with Liberty, especially now that she has been updated.