Close to Final Pmt Date=Wait to Make New Res?

I've booked on other lines and have observed huge price dips after final payment date. Have been able to upgrade to higher cabin categories a few times.

Find myself looking at a sailing out of SJU on Adventure wherein:

*final payment date is a few weeks away

*the rate is comparable to the same time period's CCL sailing (imo Adventure has better itinerary and certainly a nicer looking ship!):) but it is nothing stellar.

*I currently see 25 cabins in category I'm most interesting in booking, other categories have even more open.

*will be using points for airfare that I can easily book now and cancel without penalty if things don't work out

Wondering if anyone here has waited it out and obtained a great deal or if RCCL doesn't tend to follow suit of price drops after final booking.

Also, in the event of a price drop after final payment date, does RCCL permit moving up to another cabin?

Had also occured to me that SJU might have a different sort of booking/pricing dynamic with locals waiting for a great deal since they have more flexibility as to transportation.

Edited by keishashadow

Unfortunately, the pricing trends are unpredicable. I've seen some significant price drops after final payment date, and I've also seen prices go up after final payment date.

Royal does permit you to upgrade after final payment date, with certain restrictions, such as prices that may be restricted to new bookings.

My final payment for Anthem is due in a couple weeks. I just called to add a third passenger and it turned out to be cheaper to upgrade to a balcony (plus more room) with the diamond plus discount than it was to stay in the original cabin.

Pricing was up and then all of a sudden I noticed it dropped a little. Very odd for being a few weeks before final payment.

Cruise lines do have a problem getting people to sail out of San Juan. But lots of times they fill partially vacant ships with locals, who get rates as low as $25/day. Could you wait? Maybe. We really like sailing out of there and really enjoyed our last B2B on Adventure. If you see a rate you like, book it. If you don't care if you miss the sailing you are looking at go ahead and gamble. Hard part is getting the flights, but if you can stay over a night after the cruise it is much easier.

Cruise lines do have a problem getting people to sail out of San Juan. But lots of times they fill partially vacant ships with locals, who get rates as low as $25/day. Could you wait? Maybe. We really like sailing out of there and really enjoyed our last B2B on Adventure. If you see a rate you like, book it. If you don't care if you miss the sailing you are looking at go ahead and gamble. Hard part is getting the flights, but if you can stay over a night after the cruise it is much easier.

wow, what a deal! i'm looking at slightly under $200 a day now. I tend to book balconies, not much experience in what is a 'good' price for inside or ov, am happy to pay under $300 a day for a balcony.

i already booked the flights, using points, easily cancellable without penalty if i sit on booking this too long.

agree, San Juan is a wonderful port imo. What's funny to me is on the same day flying into MCO cost nearly as much as into SJU from my market...go figure.:confused:

Edited by keishashadow

i'm seeing an interior & ov price out exactly the same :confused:after RCCL's website discounts we qualify for (after factoring in the OBC offers).

Unusual, but not unprecendented to see something like that. Supply and demand drive the price of each category.

I've booked on other lines and have observed huge price dips after final payment date. Have been able to upgrade to higher cabin categories a few times.

Find myself looking at a sailing out of SJU on Adventure wherein:

*final payment date is a few weeks away

Then it looks like you've settled on a price that you feel is good to go.

*the rate is comparable to the same time period's CCL sailing (imo Adventure has better itinerary and certainly a nicer looking ship!):) but it is nothing stellar.

*I currently see 25 cabins in category I'm most interesting in booking, other categories have even more open.

Chances are if there are this many rooms available, a drop in price is more than likely. If you're good with the price you have locked in and are looking for an upgrade on price drops I suggest that you keep the current reservation.

*will be using points for airfare that I can easily book now and cancel without penalty if things don't work out

Wondering if anyone here has waited it out and obtained a great deal or if RCCL doesn't tend to follow suit of price drops after final booking.

Also, in the event of a price drop after final payment date, does RCCL permit moving up to another cabin?

Yes, RCCL will move you up upon request. If the price of a better category of cabins drops to your reserved price you can move up. It it doesn't drop completely to your reserved price but close, you can even 'buy' up into a different category for the difference.

Had also occured to me that SJU might have a different sort of booking/pricing dynamic with locals waiting for a great deal since they have more flexibility as to transportation.

Based on the info of 25 cabins and more available in other categories, I think you'll see some drops.

It's not just the number of cabins left but the trend of that inventory. If the inventory is about the same next week, price drops are likely. If 10 of those 25 cabins are sold, then further drops are unlikely. You may need to reconsider one of the other categories which still have lots of inventory. Check prices over the weekend - it seems that slow selling sailings have drops on Saturdays.

It's not just the number of cabins left but the trend of that inventory. If the inventory is about the same next week, price drops are likely. If 10 of those 25 cabins are sold, then further drops are unlikely. You may need to reconsider one of the other categories which still have lots of inventory. Check prices over the weekend - it seems that slow selling sailings have drops on Saturdays.

makes sense, will wait until at least the weekend, thanks.