Hurricane Season in the Caribbean

TXCruzing

We always buy insurance, no so much for the cruise as it goes/accommodates weather, virus, etc. but for the logistics of flying to/from the cruise which is very dependent on weather. Have always used CSA Travel Protection and their claims department pays quickly.

• 1 month later...

I took a Eastern Caribbean cruise in Sept 2015 and we missed an incoming potential hurricane by one day. Fortunately, we left port one day before a hurricane was arriving. And fortunately, for FL residents, the hurricane got downsized and ended up being just a bad storm.

But the seas were rougher than usual on the first evening. The captain eventually worked his way around it and the rest of the cruise was smooth sailing.

Even though I'm a veteran cruiser, it was the first time I had to worry about a potential hurricane affecting my cruise. I sure read up and followed hurricane news the week beforehand. In the end, everyone on here is correct. You just never know. It's unpredictable.

Short of a hurricane hitting the embarkation ports airport , cruise will usually sail as scheduled , itinerary may change .

OP has chosen the historical most active time of the entire June 1 to Nov 30 hurricane season.

Worst is when a hurricane and/or tropical disturbance is hitting your embarkation port. Getting there either by flying or driving is a major problem.

Normally, in September there is some sort of tropical storm in the Caribbean SOMEPLACE ???? or other. :rolleyes:

Worst is when a hurricane and/or tropical disturbance is hitting your embarkation port. Getting there either by flying or driving is a major problem.

Normally, in September there is some sort of tropical storm in the Caribbean SOMEPLACE ???? or other. :rolleyes:

"Normally" means as a rule. No! Most of the time there is no tropical storm anywhere- with even less chance of there being one in the Caribbean.

Even if three storms hit the Caribbean in a given September, their usual duration of passing through - say two or three days - means that, even in a heavy storm year, in just nine days out of thirty would there be a tropical storm someplace in the Caribbean. Less than a third of the time does not mean "normally".

Yes - I am going into detail - but the fact is that the odds are very strong against any particular Caribbean itinerary being significantly impacted by a tropical storm.

I was looking up hurricane predictions for 2016 since we are booked for September. It seems that this hurricane season is either going to be more active than usual or less active than usual. Very helpful, right? ;) My understanding is that cruises are unlikely to be cancelled due to a hurricane but that the ports may change. If you have had a trip changed or cancelled because of a hurricane, I would love to hear about your experiences.

One thing you can be certain about is that wherever a hurricane is, the cruise ships will not be. Hurricanes are simply a way to see other destinations than the ones you had planned on visiting.

Scott & Karen