Visa China

mlkitt3

We are on the Millenium in Oct Tokyo to Hong Kong we have one day in Port at Shanghai.

Do we need to get a visa before we leave home ?

Does Celebrity organise on ship ones?

Anyone that could give me some information would be much appreciated.

We may not even leave the ship as have been to Shanghai before but need to have all bases covered for what might eventuate!

Many thanks in advance. 😀

I don't believe Celebrity organise them.

To be on the safe side, you would need to organise it in advance. If you try to travel without it, they may just not let you off. However, they normally require you to have all visas before the cruise both due to difficulty monitoring any exceptions and what if e.g you have an accident near that port onboard so would need to get off, but cannot? Typically there is a statement in your terms saying that you are required to organise all visas in advance.

There seems to be recent new information regarding China Visas. BUT there is differing information on various websites. I copied the following information, from one of the travel websites, to my notes for our cruise that ends in Shanghai in September. Some other sites did not mention the cruise terminals, though. I think that we all need to check with Celebrity to find out if we can avoid getting visas.

Since January 30th, 2016, the 144-hour visa-free transit policy has been carried out in Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang in east China to facilitate international travelers. The policy, aimed at boosting tourism and business in the Yangtze River Delta Region, allows passengers from 51 countries or regions to transit in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang for no more than 144 hours (six days) without holding a visa. During the layover period, passengers can move around the three places but not permitted to visit other cities of China.

The 144-hour visa-free transit program has been implemented in Nanjing Lukou Airport of Jiangsu, Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport of Zhejiang, and all air, sea and railway ports of Shanghai, including Pudong Airport, Hongqiao Airport, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusong Passenger Transport Center and all railway stations in Shanghai.

Valid passport

Confirmed onward ticket

Visa for a third country/region (if needed)

A fully completed Arrival/Departure Card

If it does include the cruise terminals that's great.

However, the policy up to this date didn't include the terminals, and when this change was announced last month, it was said to still be airport only. Cruise terminals a possible future change. I'd be surprised if it was included that quickly but if so, great.

It would wonderful if we did not need a visa for a few hours only will keep on checking with celebrity thanks.🤔

Visit the website for the US state department. There are travel links where you can enter the country you're going to and get a link to that countries visitor requirements. Often there will also be a link to that countries embassy or consulate in the US, with their phone number you can call to get any questions clarified.

We were on the Millennium Japan and China cruise out of Yokohama 25 Oct 2015, great cruise. I wrote to Celebrity and sent them an email regarding the need for a Chinese Visa for only a one port, less than 24 hours stop. What they came back to me with was a qualified no, you don't need a visa if you stay on the ship. However, they warned me that the Chinese authorities could change their policy and that could lead to having to have a visa to board the ship in Yokohama.

As it turned out, we decided to not risk it and we got the visa (good for 10 years if you are from USA). Others did not get the visa, stayed on the ship and had no problems.

The cruise was one of our favorites. We loved Japan and the Japanese people. My advise is to get the visa unless China comes out with official policy for cruise ships that don't require a visa, much like Russia does for visits to St. Petersburg.

Often the cruise line can get "blanket" visas that cover passengers taking excursions with the cruise line. For Russia, X did tell me that I needed to get my own visa if I planned to do anything other than the ship's tours. Don't know if this is the case for China but certainly worth checking with X.

Being on the Oct 2015 cruise, Celebrity does NOT get the blanket visa for China for you. Before the cruise several people contacted Celebrity and had written confirmation that they did not need visa if they weren't getting off of the ship HOWEVER approximately 3 weeks before the cruise Celebrity send out an email STATING that EVERYONE NEEDED a visa Regardless IF YOU GOT OFF THE SHIP OR NOT. Not everyone however got the email(go figure). Lots of advance warning(yea right) So moral of this tail is do you want to risk it?????Seems their reasoning was if you had an medical emergency you could not get off the ship. ALSO THE 144 hour VISA DOES NOT apply to arriving by cruise ship only by air.

Being on the Oct 2015 cruise, Celebrity does NOT get the blanket visa for China for you. Before the cruise several people contacted Celebrity and had written confirmation that they did not need visa if they weren't getting off of the ship HOWEVER approximately 3 weeks before the cruise Celebrity send out an email STATING that EVERYONE NEEDED a visa Regardless IF YOU GOT OFF THE SHIP OR NOT. Not everyone however got the email(go figure). Lots of advance warning(yea right) So moral of this tail is do you want to risk it?????Seems their reasoning was if you had an medical emergency you could not get off the ship. ALSO THE 144 hour VISA DOES NOT apply to arriving by cruise ship only by air.

There seem to be a lot of experts here. And right now nobody really knows if the new 144 hour visa will be approved. It has been sent to the governing body in China and could become law in just a few days - or it might never be approved. If it is approved as proposed it would cover cruise ship passengers according to the Chinese government website.

If the visa law changes you would not need a visa so I would wait until about 60 days before my cruise to decide. If the policy change is not approved the it is likely that EVERYONE on board will be required to obtain the visa at several hundred $$.

Everything the poster above said is correct under the current 72 hour exemption cruise ship passengers are not covered, only those arriving by air. Also a health issue would not be a problem as you could transit out even on the old policy.

Hope the 144 hour exemption is passed in time to assist you and others and

I suggest you get your information from the Chinese consulate nearest you.

I would not wait until 60 days prior to the cruise to obtain the visa. If the issue is not clarified by the Chines, I would apply for the visa 90 days in advance, particularly if you don't live near a Chinese Consulate and have to use a private company to obtain the visa.

I was on the same Oct 2015 Millennium cruise with Papa4774. We don't live near a Chinese Embassy and had to do everything by mail. I can't find my records now, but I remember calling Celebrity who emailed me a form to complete and a code which was tied to the cruise line. I believe there was a small discount. But Celebrity does not supply the visa-you must go through the embassy.

Flo

We are on the Millenium in Oct Tokyo to Hong Kong we have one day in Port at Shanghai.

Do we need to get a visa before we leave home ?

Does Celebrity organise on ship ones?

Anyone that could give me some information would be much appreciated.

We may not even leave the ship as have been to Shanghai before but need to have all bases covered for what might eventuate!

Many thanks in advance. 😀

China, Peoples Republic of - The information below is only applicable to U.S. and Canadian citizens. All other guests should review the visa requirements for each country on their sailing itinerary with their Embassy/Consulate or a Visa service of their choice.

Guests from most countries, including US and Canadian citizens require a visa to enter China, unless noted otherwise below. Visa is required and must be obtained before leaving home.*

*U.S. and Canadian citizens do not require a visa for Sanya, Hong Kong or Taiwan. All other ports in China will require a Chinese visa.

Guests entering China via a seaport without a Chinese Visa must leave the country within 24 hours of entry from the first Chinese port. A seaport does not qualify for the 72 hour in transit allowance as this only applies to Airport entry.

Embassy website: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/

Thank you Celebrity

That is what X explained to us as well (if the ship was in port no longer than 24 hrs you could stay on the ship). We got the Visa as it is now for 10 yrs and we want to go back for a second land tour. Our Aussie friends did not get one though and when the passports were checked upon boarding they queried why no visa and as soon as they said they were not getting off the ship there was no problem.

Edited by Christine Frances

China, Peoples Republic of - The information below is only applicable to U.S. and Canadian citizens. All other guests should review the visa requirements for each country on their sailing itinerary with their Embassy/Consulate or a Visa service of their choice.

Guests from most countries, including US and Canadian citizens require a visa to enter China, unless noted otherwise below. Visa is required and must be obtained before leaving home.*

*U.S. and Canadian citizens do not require a visa for Sanya, Hong Kong or Taiwan. All other ports in China will require a Chinese visa.

Guests entering China via a seaport without a Chinese Visa must leave the country within 24 hours of entry from the first Chinese port. A seaport does not qualify for the 72 hour in transit allowance as this only applies to Airport entry.

Embassy website: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/

Celebrity - Can you comment on the proposal to change the visa policy that was put into place on January 31st?

Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang Policy

• Designated ports: Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG) and Hongqiao Airport (SHA), Shanghai sea ports (i.e, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusong Passenger Transport Center), Shanghai rail ports; Nanjing Lukou Airport (NKG); Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport (HGH).
  • Specified geographic area: Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province, and Zhejiang Province
  • Effective date: Jan. 30, 2016
  • Duration of stay: 144 hours

The Embassy website has not been updated in a year for exemptions!

Once again thanks for everyone's information. Still seems like a wait and see for a few months to see if it becomes clearer.

mlkitt - The 144 hour rule went into effect last month. The website quoted by Celebrity is over a year old. Suggest you call the Chinese Embassy to confirm. Celebrity has been informed but would guess it will take them a while to update if they get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is on one of the China cruises the requirement as to ports was not met - ship goes from Japan to China and immediately back to Japan. you need an intermediate country to qualify for the exemption. No idea what Celebrity is doing regarding this as am not on either cruise going to China.

I just posted the following information on our Roll Call. I have sent an email to Celebrity and to our TA with this information also.

Does anyone know the best way to get the following information to the powere-that-be at Celebrity, so that they don't insist that we produce Visas in order to board the Millennium?

I am copying this information from the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection. The url is:

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx

144-Hour Visa-Exemption Transit Policy Takes Effect on January 30 at Ports of Entry in Shanghai

02-06-2016

To accelerate the strategy of “Development Driven by Innovation”, sanctioned by the State Council, as of January 30, various ports of entry in Shanghai, airports in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province and Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province are to implement a 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy, which is aimed at the integration of various visa-exemption transit policies adopted by different ports of entry in the Yangtze River Delta area.

After the 144-hour visa-exemption policy takes effect, citizens from 51 countries can transfer in China via any of the following ports of entry including Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Railway Station, Nanjing Lukou International Airport, or Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport without Chinese visas by producing their own valid international travel documents and onward air / vessel / train tickets to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat within 144 hours upon arrival, and can stay within the administrative precincts of Shanghai municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province for 144 hours. In a comparison with its previous incarnation, the 72-hour visa-exemption transit policy which came into effect on January 1, 2013, this latest 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy represents breakthroughs in many areas and boasts many eye-catching aspects. First and foremost, the length of time for visa-exemption stay is extended considerably. With the previous 72 hours doubled, foreign passengers would have ample time to conduct short-term activities such as businesses, sightseeing, visits and exhibitions while in Shanghai. It would also give leeway to domestic travel agencies in the development of in-depth tour products, invigorate the tourism market and spur the development of the hotel and catering industries. The second difference lies in that the new policy covers all types of ports of entry for visa-exemption transit. Originally, foreign passengers who qualify for 72-hour visa-exemption transit in Shanghai can only transfer to a third country (region) from Shanghai Pudong International Airport and Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, but not from sea ports or rail ports in Shanghai. With the new policy in place, the available ports for transit will not only include airports, sea ports and rail ports in Shanghai, but cover Nanjing Lukou International Airport, and Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport as well. Foreign passengers are entitled to 144-hour visa-exemption transit while transiting though any of these ports of entry to a third country (region). This integration of air, sea and land ports brings great convenience for transit passengers and will substantially benefit the construction of Shanghai Navigation Center and Shanghai Aviation Hub. The third improvement is the expansion of temporary stay areas for visa-exemption transit passengers. Formerly, foreign passengers eligible for 72-hour visa-exemption who transit through Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou are restricted to staying within their respective administrative precinct. Given the highly integrated economy, intertwining high-speed rail and highway networks and frequent talent flows in the Yangtze River Delta area, such restrictions are evidently unconducive to the healthy flow of talents, the development of logistics and exchange of information, and can hardly satisfy the practical need of certain transit passengers any more. That the latest 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy expands the scope of temporary stay for foreign passengers to cover Shanghai Municipality, Zhejiang Province and Jiangsu Province, which are collectively known as the Yangtze River Delta area, not only meets the need of transit passengers, but also benefits the flow of the people in the area, which will surely supply large number of talents for industries such as science and innovation, commerce and trade, tourism, conference exhibition, etc., and stimulate the integrated economic development of Yangtze River Delta area.

The General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection (GSSII) and its affiliated immigration inspection stations are the main authority to implement the 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy. In an effort to ensure its smooth implementation, GSSII formulated concrete work plans whereby it has finished updating and renovating its exit and entry inspection system and the selection of highly capable inspectors with fine foreign language and communication skills to carry out the inspection tasks. Currently, all frontline inspectors from various immigration inspection stations have completed trainings aimed to enable each and every inspector to master relevant regulations stipulated in the 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy. In addition, within the immigration inspection areas of Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Railway Station, GSSII has set up dedicated inspection lanes for 144-hour visa-exemption transit passengers, updated the contents of billboards and electronic screens and erected new signposts, so that transit passengers can receive immigration inspection with ease. At present, the preparations for the enactment of the policy has been completed, and GSSII will avail of the opportunity to constantly improve its service standard and border control capabilities and endeavor to create a convenient port clearance environment for the construction of Shanghai Science and Technology Innovation Hub and make contributions to the socio-economic development of Shanghai.

• 2 months later...

I just posted the following on our Roll Call.

I just received the following email from Celebrity. Now I have it in writing. Hurray!!

Please be advised that, as your departure from Shanghai is within 144 hours of your arrival to port, you may enjoy visa-free travel during your departure from the Celebrity Millenium and flight to return back to the United States. Immigration will be available at the terminal in Shanghai, China to stamp a stay permit on your passport, which will indicate your allowed stay duration. This has been confirmed with our sources; however, immigration guidelines do change from time to time. Due to the number of countries that Celebrity Cruises visits, and the continually changing travel documentation requirements for each, it is simply not feasible for our cruise line to keep current on all travel prerequisites. As such, it is ultimately each guest’s personal responsibility to identify and obtain the necessary travel documents before commencing their cruise. Should you have further questions regarding the 144-hour free transit policy, I recommend you contact the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection at 0086-21-5110510.

I asked if they could notify all of the passengers on our cruise of this policy. The response was NO, since it would involve too much time to contact everyone.

To make sure that you are eligible for this 144 Hour Visa Free Transit Policy for Shanghai, be sure to read the following url: http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPag...?lx=40&id=4414

New Shanghai 144 Hour Visa- Free Exemption Transit Policy

I just posted the following on our Roll Call.

I just received the following email from Celebrity. Now I have it in writing. Hurray!!

Please be advised that, as your departure from Shanghai is within 144 hours of your arrival to port, you may enjoy visa-free travel during your departure from the Celebrity Millenium and flight to return back to the United States. Immigration will be available at the terminal in Shanghai, China to stamp a stay permit on your passport, which will indicate your allowed stay duration. This has been confirmed with our sources; however, immigration guidelines do change from time to time. Due to the number of countries that Celebrity Cruises visits, and the continually changing travel documentation requirements for each, it is simply not feasible for our cruise line to keep current on all travel prerequisites. As such, it is ultimately each guest’s personal responsibility to identify and obtain the necessary travel documents before commencing their cruise. Should you have further questions regarding the 144-hour free transit policy, I recommend you contact the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection at 0086-21-5110510.

I asked if they could notify all of the passengers on our cruise of this policy. The response was NO, since it would involve too much time to contact everyone.

To make sure that you are eligible for this 144 Hour Visa Free Transit Policy for Shanghai, be sure to read the following url: http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPag...?lx=40&id=4414

[url=http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPag...?lx=40&id=4414][/url]

Hi Sandy. We are on your India cruise, but are taking the 4/8/2017 Millennium cruise that stops in Shanghai in between two stops in Japan. Thanks for this info. I will repost on our roll call, or at least link to your post. Much appreciated.:)

EDIT: I just realized you will be departing by air from Shanghai, while our cruise continues back to Japan as the next stop. Thus, I am not sure that your information applies to our particular cruise. Wishful thinking on my part. I chose not to post it on our roll call. Thanks for posting and I am glad it works out for you. - Emile

Edited by emileg